Modelling Challenge - Around the House

Test your creative modelling skills.

Moderator: RawMeat3000

Re: Model Battle - Around the House

Postby mat_de_b on Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:06 pm

RawMeat can you clarify the texture situation, 1024x1024 and as many maps as you like? or all your maps must add up to 1024x1024?
mat_de_b
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Surfa on Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:37 pm

A very early wip idea. Just trying some stuff out.
Surfa
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Meotwister on Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:21 pm

lookin nice surfa.

I'd say though the proportions are looking more like it's on it's back end seeing as how a lot of couches have the sitting area as the widest part.
Check out my continually progressing portfolio!
http://meotwister.com - Finally up! I also blog there, too!

www.NoMoreRoomInHell.com
Meotwister
Resolute Games

Postby RawMeat3000 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:40 pm

mat_de_b wrote:RawMeat can you clarify the texture situation, 1024x1024 and as many maps as you like? or all your maps must add up to 1024x1024?

The first one. But only one of each individual type of map, so one normal, one spec, whatever else. Just one of each. I've edited my poorly thought out first post to be more clear about that.

I also added rules about screenshots, and a possible new rule that images maps and model files must be linked to for voters to download and judge. I'll take it down if there's a lot of opposition, but I think it'll help with the voting process.

Edit: WIP

RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Postby Zipfinator on Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:59 pm

So who's paying for the prize game?
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Meotwister on Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:55 am

RawMeat3000 wrote:...prizes, being Left 4 Dead 2 and Borderlands, with the additional option of choosing any game from Steam within the $10-20 range, provided by the great and wonderful Surfa!

*cough*
Check out my continually progressing portfolio!
http://meotwister.com - Finally up! I also blog there, too!

www.NoMoreRoomInHell.com
Meotwister
Resolute Games

Postby Zipfinator on Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:01 am

So you've got money for model battle prizes, but not for a sack of Black Pepperjack Doritos, huh Surfers?
|Pipe Dream|City 17: Episode 1|
Zipfinator
Veteran
Veteran

Postby RawMeat3000 on Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:04 am

We've got our priorities straight.

That's why we're both going to win and get our money back.

Muahahahaha!
RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Postby stoopdapoop on Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:28 am

RawMeat3000 wrote:We've got our priorities straight.

That's why we're both going to win and get our money back.

Muahahahaha!

in hell you will.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby migedith on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:32 pm

Okay, let me get something figured out. Is the idea to get lower polycounts, or to get it looking the best it can be? I realize we are working with the source engine and these are supposed to be props. I've always made props to be somewhat low poly so they don't slow down the game.

Does this matter at all, or do they just have to be compiled and in game, no matter how they affect performance?
Sains of the Old Republic
A Christian Republic Guild
Visit Our Website
migedith

Postby stoopdapoop on Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:55 pm

migedith wrote:Okay, let me get something figured out. Is the idea to get lower polycounts, or to get it looking the best it can be? I realize we are working with the source engine and these are supposed to be props. I've always made props to be somewhat low poly so they don't slow down the game.

Does this matter at all, or do they just have to be compiled and in game, no matter how they affect performance?

Then you're doing it wrong, don't take this too literally, but polygons don't matter anymore.

Use what you need to define the silhouette, no more, no less, and you'll be set. A scene in source can easilly handle hundreds of thousands of polygons, even on modest hardware. Don't believe me? Try it. That's why Zombies in L4d have NO geometry Lod's they each have over 3000 polygons, no matter how far away they are from the camera, the only thing that changes is the number of bones in the body.

But usually when all the entries are submitted, the community votes, and they try to take polygon count and everything into consideration before they vote. (or at least they should be)
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Surfa on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:06 pm

^That
But seriously a good use of a normal map should be what is giving the high detail. Although seeing as you don't need to have a normal map you can model some smaller details such a rivets and bolts in if needed. Although polycount will be one of the criteria that people should look at when voting.

Also a little note if I win any of the prizes then it will go to the person below me in the standings.
Surfa
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby migedith on Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:19 pm

stoopdapoop wrote:
migedith wrote:Okay, let me get something figured out. Is the idea to get lower polycounts, or to get it looking the best it can be? I realize we are working with the source engine and these are supposed to be props. I've always made props to be somewhat low poly so they don't slow down the game.

Then you're doing it wrong, don't take this too literally, but polygons don't matter anymore.

Use what you need to define the silhouette, no more, no less, and you'll be set. A scene in source can easilly handle hundreds of thousands of polygons, even on modest hardware. Don't believe me? Try it. That's why Zombies in L4d have NO geometry Lod's they each have over 3000 polygons, no matter how far away they are from the camera, the only thing that changes is the number of bones in the body.

But usually when all the entries are submitted, the community votes, and they try to take polygon count and everything into consideration before they vote. (or at least they should be)

This is news to me. I'll have to figure out what I'm doing wrong then. Thanks for the heads up. I'll see what I can whip up.
Sains of the Old Republic
A Christian Republic Guild
Visit Our Website
migedith

Postby mat_de_b on Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:30 pm

Clay Render WIP
mat_de_b
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby source-maps on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:15 pm

I dont think I can enter unless its extended :( one week is a bit short when you have allot to do
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

PreviousNext

Return to Modelling Challenges