Mod website

Show off new creations, get help, or just chat about all aspects of web development and design.

Mod website

Postby JLea on Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:31 am

http://ivans-secrets.com/

My first serious website, unfortunatley it's all screwed up in IE6. Thoughts?
JLea
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: Mod website

Postby Blink on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:33 am

It's a good design, but by the look of it you've made it in imageready? I'm not sure how serious you are about web development, but it's always worth learning how to build sites properly with valid HTML & CSS.

Also your stylesheet path in the header is trying to look on the C: drive, best fix that :)
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby JLea on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:47 am

Blink wrote:It's a good design, but by the look of it you've made it in imageready? I'm not sure how serious you are about web development, but it's always worth learning how to build sites properly with valid HTML & CSS.

Also your stylesheet path in the header is trying to look on the C: drive, best fix that :)

Thank you, I designed it in photoshop but is that a sin in webdesign :?

I had a look at tables in HTML, seems to be what i need.
JLea
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Blink on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:39 pm

It's not a sin to design it in Photoshop, not by any means. But the code it spits out to render the site is usually a sin. It's best to use HTML and CSS to control the style and layout. Tables will work but are seen as general no-no as a way to layout a design.

There is a sticky thread in this forum with tonnes of good stuff!
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Phott on Sun Dec 20, 2009 4:48 pm

Looks nice, when I did a site for a school project, I designed it all in photoshop and sliced the image into smaller ones like I assume you've done. I'm using Opera as web browser and all pages look fine except for the FAQ page which seems to freak out a little.

Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Furling on Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:54 pm

The design look nice, perhaps the main text area could be slightly gray rather than pure white. Of course a background image that looks like an actual paper would be the best I think.

As for why it is messed up in IE6, can't really say for sure as I only have IE8 (although I mainly use FIrefox), but from what I noticed- you used tables for the layout? When I started web design I did the same thing, but some time ago I learned that it is actually better to do it with div tags. This will also fix the site not being in the center of the screen in IE8 and possibly might fix whatever issues you have in IE6 :)
~ Heaven won't take me and Hell's afraid I'll take over ~

Stargate: Legacy a Half-Life2 modification. Learn more at http://www.stargatelegacy.net
Furling
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Phott on Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:05 pm

Furling wrote:The design look nice, perhaps the main text area could be slightly gray rather than pure white. Of course a background image that looks like an actual paper would be the best I think.

As for why it is messed up in IE6, can't really say for sure as I only have IE8 (although I mainly use FIrefox), but from what I noticed- you used tables for the layout? When I started web design I did the same thing, but some time ago I learned that it is actually better to do it with div tags. This will also fix the site not being in the center of the screen in IE8 and possibly might fix whatever issues you have in IE6 :)

Oh yeah, I used div tags making my site, it works on all browsers I tested, everything shows up properly. I have no experience with tables though so I can't really tell.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby TicTac on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:24 am

Looks great, however the 4th prop image thumbnail links to the car, not the proper prop.
Competent Level Designer, 3D Artist.
I don't really look like my avatar
TicTac
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Imoddedu on Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:41 am

TicTac wrote:Looks great, however the 4th prop image thumbnail links to the car, not the proper prop.

Same thing happens to me, might want to check that <a href="whatever"> part in your code JLea.
Imoddedu
Regular
Regular

Postby Furling on Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:05 am

Yeah and you might want to consider using something like Lytebox for images. I think it will make the image viewing look nicer :)
~ Heaven won't take me and Hell's afraid I'll take over ~

Stargate: Legacy a Half-Life2 modification. Learn more at http://www.stargatelegacy.net
Furling
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Web Design & Development