Modelling Challenge #2 - Land Vehicles

Test your creative modelling skills.

Moderator: RawMeat3000

Re: Model Battle #2 - Land Vehicles

Postby coder0xff on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:21 am

Wow, you are getting shit done a lot faster than I am. You could nearly call it done- well at least the exterior. I've been fighting to get the dimensions just right because I don't really have any reliable references of the correct revision. The height of various parts, spacing of the wheels, etc. The only numbers I had was the radius of the wheel and the total dimensions of the vehicle. No doubt a big help, but yeah... Think I've finally got most of it placed right.

And yeah, the dip is modeled. There's no normal map or anything on that. And I actually don't think I'm gonna use one. See that outer lip on the rim? Well, it sticks out an inch. So the details actually aren't details at all, they're features. A normal map wouldn't cut it up close. The grates on the stairs and such will be textures though, of course. Hope I'm not posting too much. It's kinda exciting for me, though.

That little canopy thing for the driver. That's actually a spacious two seater. xD
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/945/ ... xautod.jpg
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:37 am

I've seen that before on discovery channel somewhere. I got the idea that it might of been that from the sheer size. Can't wait to see it done.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Noodles on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:05 am

RawMeat3000 wrote:compiled for the Source engine with a polygon count and texture size that is appropriate.

Bugger. I was hoping for some high poly mayhem here :(

Very well...
'English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havershambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary Rawlinson End.'
Noodles
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Carbon14 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:33 pm

coder0xff wrote:Wow, you are getting shit done a lot faster than I am. You could nearly call it done- well at least the exterior. I've been fighting to get the dimensions just right because I don't really have any reliable references of the correct revision. The height of various parts, spacing of the wheels, etc. The only numbers I had was the radius of the wheel and the total dimensions of the vehicle. No doubt a big help, but yeah... Think I've finally got most of it placed right.

And yeah, the dip is modeled. There's no normal map or anything on that. And I actually don't think I'm gonna use one. See that outer lip on the rim? Well, it sticks out an inch. So the details actually aren't details at all, they're features. A normal map wouldn't cut it up close. The grates on the stairs and such will be textures though, of course. Hope I'm not posting too much. It's kinda exciting for me, though.

That little canopy thing for the driver. That's actually a spacious two seater. xD
http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/945/ ... xautod.jpg

Yeah I had pretty much an entire day free though, that's why, I probably won't get nearly as much done over the next few days, also like everyone I am not overly fond of the uvw mapping ;) Are you scaling those dimensions up by 1.2 or whatever now or during compile? I hear things look a little more accurate that size compared to the odd scales in HL2.

Also, if you actually intend on this being useable in source no normal map is needed I think. Since Source in its current form rather bizarrely wont let you have a normal map on a vertex shadowed model and the model is such a large size its probably best without.
Carbon14
Regular
Regular

Postby Corigami on Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:10 pm

wikipedia has a nice little table of dimensions for the wheels and overall truck:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caterpillar_797
Also, 1 source unit = 0.75 inches. Have fun with those conversions!
Corigami
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby stoopdapoop on Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:43 pm

heh coder, I knew that's what you were modeling, I made one for the speed modeling challenge a million years back. Difference is that mine sucked :(
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Duke Nukem on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:17 pm

im entering this one. starting some sketches :D
Enjoy your Kartoffelsuppe!

ModDB Profile
Duke Nukem
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Duke Nukem on Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:24 pm

its a little start, hehe

update:

ModDB Profile
Duke Nukem
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby coder0xff on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:27 am

I'm modeling with real world measurements. Wikipedia is where I got the measurements that I was able to find, but like I said, wheel radius and HxLxW isn't much to go off of. It is just enough to get by though. Anyway, I set the system units in 3ds max to .75 and the displayed unit is decimal inches. Exporting to SMD will be correct without any additional scaling. I can't wait to see it myself, standing in game at a measly 4 foot 6, looking up at this behemoth.

P.S. I would never try this as a speed modeling challenge. My only skill lies in my patience to correct imperfections 100 times over.
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Carbon14 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:51 am

More progress, not as much this time, starting to work on the details and fix poly distribution etc.
Carbon14
Regular
Regular

Postby coder0xff on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:39 am

It's actually easier to see what's going on when all the bits aren't some random color. Not working on it looking all gray though. D:
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:48 am

I like it, I would also like to know how it will fit in game. You should rig it, it would be awesome to drive that around.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby coder0xff on Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:27 am

You know I was thinking about that. But that'd have to come after the battle (or at least after I post finals). But for now it'll be a static prop. I really like how the rails are turning out. The tools in 3ds max (especially the fillet) make it pretty easy. I'm liking yours, too. You planning on making it functional?
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Duke Nukem on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:26 pm

cant decide between a hovercraft or some wheels... guess il do the hovercraft with more futuristic design and a cabinet-redesign....

ModDB Profile
Duke Nukem
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby coder0xff on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:33 am

Sadly, it seems I will have to withdraw my entry. Even after a generous optimize modifier it's still 30000 faces according to max. With all the railings, stair steps, treads on the tires, it's just too much. Couldn't even get it in hammer without it crashing.

Could maybe do it as separate models, but I don't think that counts?

Doesn't look like 30 thousand faces. :(
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Modelling Challenges