Outpost 16

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

Outpost 16

Postby m.anderson on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:18 am

This is a one-level mod for Half Life 2: Episode 2 with a cinematic, moody tone that has custom voiceover, models, and music, which can be downloaded here:

UPDATE: The updated version is now ready for download:

http://www.planetphillip.com/posts/outp ... ife-2-ep2/ - go here for a swanky panoramic view!
http://www.moddb.com/mods/outpost16/dow ... elease-v20

This is a portfolio piece first and foremost, and was not originally intended to be distributed amongst the community. As such, there is no lip synch because it could not be automatically generated on my OS and doing all of it manually would be too time consuming, and in the end, unnecessary. This is the only thing you'll (hopefully) have to suspend disbelief on.

Enough talk, SCREENS!

Visit http://www.mikeandersonart.com to see a video playthrough, along with additional concept sketches, my animation, storyboards, life drawing, and resume.

Much love to this community for providing timely and quality help when i needed to solve very technical problems!
Last edited by m.anderson on Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Re: Outpost 16

Postby goldendeed on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:21 am

holy cunt this is amazing
goldendeed
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Chopium on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:37 am

Holy. Fucking. Shit. If Episode 3 looked like this I would return my faith in Valve.
Chopium

Postby m.anderson on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:40 am

HAHAHA! I could not have asked for a better first reply! Lemme know if everything works out...
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Postby Turd Ferguson on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:45 am

wow looks incredible!

jangalomph wrote:Listen. my avatar wants to be gay.. :|
Turd Ferguson
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Armageddon on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:49 am

Dude this is like... Um.. Uh... AMAZING! It looks like one of them totally awesome HL2 beta concepts. Except with a map that matches it to go along with it!
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby joe_dirt976 on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:53 am

Major Banter wrote:Joe Dirt. Also known locally in Interlopers as "Hammer Machine"
joe_dirt976
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Hollow on Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:59 am

We were just talking about this on Lopers chat. It looks fucking epic. DLing now :smt023
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Corigami on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:03 am

Some things I jotted down as I played:
-Good sound design, adds a lot to gameplay.
-Good writing and voice acting for a mod.
-I liked the falling concrete and crows, scared me. The roof climbing was suspenseful.
-Cannon killed me over and over again by the horse statues. The autosave made it impossible for me to progress, I had to use godmode. The board walkway puzzle would have been fun, but it's not fun to do puzzles under pressure and in such a limited amount of time.
-I couldn't figure out where the rebel was yelling from in the huge round room with a wavy ceiling. In such a chaotic fight sequence, you'll need something to draw the player's attention to the rebels. I circled the room the wrong way and met them last.
-Hunter's weren't used in a very ideal environment, but the fight sequence was still a lot of fun.

This is really great stuff, I can't wait for the next episode.
Corigami
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby m.anderson on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:30 am

I'm sorry to hear you got caught in a "death loop." If it becomes a problem for more people, I'll consider going back and addressing it.
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Postby Phott on Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:33 am

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

Are you serious? Is this for download? Omfg, I have no words.

I NEVER download mods/sp maps, but I gotta see this, I have to play this.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Major Banter on Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:40 am

I fapped.

I came.

I love.

This I want to be.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Corigami on Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:20 pm

One more thing I just thought about is that the pacing is rather stressful atm. It's short enough it's not a problem, but when you add more to the mod a little break from the action would be nice. So far it's been a little exposition, puzzle, taking fire taking fire taking fire taking fire taking fire end.
Corigami
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Phott on Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:35 pm

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

Just played this, and I gotta say it was impressive, the screen effects really made me "wow", but it wasn't all sunshine and flowers.

The little stroll outside really kept me on edge, and that doesn't happen a lot in games for me, very successful, you can't let pieces fall down or else you will pretty much fail because of some cannon or something, I'm not sure because I just walked on some cracks and it fell down without a chance for me to catch it before it went down, so I died and had to pick it up before walking on it.
There were also a point such as the plug puzzle thing that I didn't get until the entire team had died and I respawned with it right in front of me.
I also didn't really know what to do when I picked up the crossbow, since Alyx just told me to shoot I just fired at the helicopter, I barely saw the Metrocops on the ground, so I died twice there as well, right after that when Alyx had asked me to make a "bridge" I didn't get that I had to use the planks, I started trying to tear off the combine metal door there and ran around like a fool, after dying twice I finally made it. If you had not used planks over several other windows on the way and Alyx would've actually told me to find some planks maybe I would've understood it better.
The rest after that was clear as... Well, it was very clear and pretty damn cool.

Overall very tedious but amazing, I loved it and was disappointed when it ended.
9/10
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby coder0xff on Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:54 pm

"death loop."

+1

And all the other issues. I probably died more than dozen times last night, half of them falling off the ledge, half in the death loop. Took me forever to find that dam outlet. I'm looking all over the immediate vicinity which includes a wall and a ledge. Threw my arms up and said fuck it.

Decided to try again this morning. No clipped so I could get a better look, and after going WTF for about 5 minutes finally realized I could shoot the plug up to it. Alyx was pretty unhelpful too, and eventually I just wanted her to STFU. Seemed strangely familiar, lol.

Pretty much repeat all that's already been mentioned. I didn't even get a chance to enjoy the view because I was too busy being confused and pissed off.
coder0xff
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Showcase