Chernobyl - HL2DM Map (download link)

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

Chernobyl - HL2DM Map (download link)

Postby lauris47 on Tue May 11, 2010 6:35 pm

hello, here is my map LL_abandoned or chernobyl .. it is finished, just few bugs to fix and long time for compiling left . for hl2dm

final video :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9jly-XYV3M

Was compiling for two weeks, but cancelled and recompiled in fast process - it won't be so optimized (lag?), but I tried as hard as I can /..
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TRN7NAYV

8 months work, but in that time I'v done other maps.
Last edited by lauris47 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
lauris47

Re: Chernobyl - HL2DM Map

Postby omnicoder on Tue May 11, 2010 7:30 pm

Just wondering, why is the sky having a seizure just because its radioactive there?
If only the future implemented IForeseeable...
"whats threading? does it have to do with strings?" - stegarootbeer
omnicoder
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby MáØ on Tue May 11, 2010 9:37 pm

OK wat? Really doesn't seem much like Chernobyl to be honest... actually it seems like a couple buildings and a road, there are parts of it that look alright and true to Chernobyl but for the most part it really doesn't seem like something that would take 8 months... Also it seems FAR too open for DM.
MáØ
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Major Banter on Tue May 11, 2010 10:13 pm

It's taken 8 months, yes. I like the way you've worked to the finish.

However, from the looks of it if I recorded a run-around I'd spot endless issues. Your brushwork is fine, your sense of environment is not.

I personally think you should release it and see what the reaction is. You'll get fuckloads of feedback, not all of it nice. However, much of it can but put towards the next release, hmm?
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hemuuuli on Wed May 12, 2010 10:12 am

You need to do more research for recreating real locations like Pripyat. I can see that you have used couple of pics to create some places from Pripyat and even they aren't very accurate. Compare: Real Yours
You should have collected lots of real photos from the net, watch videos and study some soviet architecture to really recreate the amazing athmosphere that Pripyat offers. Source isn't really good for open enviroment and in DM it tend to make games really boring. A small suburb from Pripyat might have been better idea to recreate for DM.

The map itself isn't crap, I like the harsh lightning, it seems to run fine for such a enourmous map and has its own athmosphere. Map just isn't what you claim it to be: a recreation of Chernobyl or suitable for DM. I think that ropeplaying community would love a map like this (I don't rp myself, but this reminds me of better rp maps).
Hemuuuli
Regular
Regular

Postby Pwnd_Ja on Wed May 12, 2010 10:40 am

Tell me right now how you managed to blow my fucking mind in some areas of the map and in others you.... You must have been tired.
Interlopers Chat wrote:-MELVIn: think I found the error
-MELVIn: my monitor was set as the default communication device
Pwnd_Ja
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Unstoppable Florence on Sat May 15, 2010 12:39 pm

Pwnd_Ja wrote:Tell me right now how you managed to blow my fucking mind in some areas of the map and in others you.... You must have been tired.

QFT.

You obviously have good ability, but the overall piece you've presented... sucks. I'm sorry but it really sucks. The colour palette you've used makes it look more like an acid trip than Chernobyl, the whole area is way too flat and empty to look interesting or feel remotely real and to be frank you've just made a bunch of different Chernobyl landmarks and slapped them together on a flat sheet.

But!

And it really is a big 'but'. What you have made is really quite good indeed! Honestly that broadcast array alone would be good enough if you had just made that and surrounded it with trees. So don't depair, keep at it. I'd recomend you take one of those buildings and get to work making it look even better and in a suitable environment.
Dives wrote:Source is kinda like that really old guy in your family that keeps getting older and older and just won't die, but he tells really great stories. And craps the bed on occasion.
Unstoppable Florence
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby lauris47 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:09 am

Was compiling for two weeks, but cancelled and recompiled in fast process - it won't be so optimized (lag?), but I tried as hard as I can /..
Download here : http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TRN7NAYV
lauris47

Re: Chernobyl - HL2DM Map (download link)

Postby Unstoppable Florence on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:55 am

Did you say... two weeks?
Dives wrote:Source is kinda like that really old guy in your family that keeps getting older and older and just won't die, but he tells really great stories. And craps the bed on occasion.
Unstoppable Florence
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby lauris47 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:10 am

Unstoppable Florence wrote:Did you say... two weeks?

Yes , final compile process.. but with old pc 3ghz processor
That pc was left alone and it was doing just this job , but sucker took too long so I canceled ..
and recompiled in fast compiling which took just ~30 minutes ..
lauris47

Postby Unstoppable Florence on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:15 am

http://instantheavy.totalh.com/ohno.html

Just, no. Oh my god. It shouldn't matter at all that it's on an old processor, it shouldn't even get close to a day if you are doing things correctly. Look, I like your face and you do have an obvious ability to create, so I'm going to download your map, de-compile and figure out where you went so wrong so I can push you in the right direction.

In the mean time http://rvanhoorn.ruhosting.nl/optimization.php?chapter=intro. Learn that sucker hard.
Unstoppable Florence
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby lauris47 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:34 am

What ? I optimized in best way to optimize this map. used portals ocluders .. hint/skip does not work in mp ... converted heavy geometry to models... I can not beleave that I could optimizme better this map in source s14 multi. .. secondly what mapper would like that their work could be decompiled ? finaly , final compiling does take so long on such a huge map, even on good computer like quad core 2.8 ghz ...
Unstoppable Florence wrote:http://instantheavy.totalh.com/ohno.html

Just, no. Oh my god. It shouldn't matter at all that it's on an old processor, it shouldn't even get close to a day if you are doing things correctly. Look, I like your face and you do have an obvious ability to create, so I'm going to download your map, de-compile and figure out where you went so wrong so I can push you in the right direction.

In the mean time http://rvanhoorn.ruhosting.nl/optimization.php?chapter=intro. Learn that sucker hard.
lauris47

Postby Unstoppable Florence on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:34 am

I wanted to decompile so that I could help you solve this problem quickly and efficiently without having to wait for you to reply. I prehaps should have asked for the VMF first, but I honestly did not expect you to have any real issues with it. If you would like to supply the VMF file then I - and others on this site - will be able to help you get to the bottom of this problem. And yes it is a problem, a very very serious one.
Unstoppable Florence
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Major Banter on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:38 am

Do bear in mind that Black Mesa source is being developed on computers that aren't massive rigs, and the incredibly complex silo level with the Hydra only needed an 8 hour final compile; lightcasting included.

You've fucked up your optimisation hugely.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby lauris47 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:44 am

Yoy mean it is too laggy ? as I said it is optimized well.. I mean I don't think that anyone coul optimizme it better since it is for multriplayer and really large one.. I used every tool in source and converted heavy geometry to models .. ... It is easy to optimizme maps for single player - hin/skip .. and it is even more easy in source 14, rooles how to put hint/skip areaportal changed since earlier version of engine .
I don't want that mapper put on hands on this map without my permission .. and i'm done with this map .. I like when people saying things about my work , bad/good whatewa, I'm just learning from this. so comment and thanks for watching.
Unstoppable Florence wrote:I wanted to decompile so that I could help you solve this problem quickly and efficiently without having to wait for you to reply. I prehaps should have asked for the VMF first, but I honestly did not expect you to have any real issues with it. If you would like to supply the VMF file then I - and others on this site - will be able to help you get to the bottom of this problem. And yes it is a problem, a very very serious one.
lauris47

Next

Return to Showcase