Inception

Films, albums, random internet videos.

Inception

Postby Smurftyours on Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:24 am

So I just watched this today and I think its a really, really good movie. Whats your guys opinion's?

Spoiler:
Highlight to read:
Although the ending was great, I disliked the fact that it was up in the air. So do you think he is still in a dream or has woken up into reality in the ending?
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Re: Inception

Postby Chopium on Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:20 am

It was cool. It's the one movie besides Toy Story 3 I can demand people see this year. I really can't be too angry about the ending as I thought it was more about perceptive reality if anything. More like...
Highlight to read:
in the end it was really just the guy's choice whether he believes in it or not. You can see that the top begins to wobble as he allows himself to see his kids' faces, so just putting that out there.
Chopium

Postby Unreal_Me on Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:37 am

Nice massive spoiler there chop.

Then again, anybody who hasn't seen the movie yet SHOULD GO DO SO!
Unreal_Me
Regular
Regular

Postby Phott on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:16 am

Haha, as soon as he said something about a guy's choice I stopped reading.

I want to see it, but I'll wait until it's actually out on DVD.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Corigami on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:40 am

There are some really great effects in the movie and if you want to get the most of them go see it in theaters.

Relevant interesting stuff: http://occultview.com/2010/07/26/the-reality-behind-inception-can-another-consciousness-enter-our-dreams/
Corigami
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Surfa on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:46 am

Other than the pacing it was an insane movie.
Surfa
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Smurftyours on Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:29 pm

A lot say its Christopher Nolan's Avatar.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby ankhsethamon on Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:07 pm

I'll watch it later today :D
ankhsethamon
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Unstoppable Florence on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:45 pm

Why has there not been more discussion about this film?

My expectations were rather high. Christopher Nolan did a perfectly good (though not spectacular) job on the Dark Knight, and the trailer let me know that this film would have a great concept, good effects and awesome music (DUUUUUUUHHHNdunununadunununadunununadunununadunununaDUHHHHHHN). I was afraid that the concept was simply going to be a vehicle for having location shoots around the world, which thankfully was literally the opposite case. So my expectations were pretty high.

This film put my expectations on a rocket, blasted them into orbit and slammed them back down again so hard that the rocket bored its way through the Earth's crust, mantle, core, mantle, crust and left an exit wound in Melbourne, Australia. It then continued to accelerate to relativistic speeds, creating a time dilation effect which allowed my expectations' final moments of life to be spent witnessing the heat-death of the Universe. Never before have I seen a Hollywood movie so masterfully blend straight action with a meaningful, thought provoking -and ultimately very harrowing- storyline.
Dives wrote:Source is kinda like that really old guy in your family that keeps getting older and older and just won't die, but he tells really great stories. And craps the bed on occasion.
Unstoppable Florence
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Major Banter on Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:51 pm

Go on any forum on the internet and everyone is all INCEPTIOIAIJWAOIJRWAOJIWAJDOWAJDOAWJDWIA.

As in, that'll quite do thanks.

Ergo, I think plenty of people will refrain from going on about it further. Such as myself.

Right?
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby YokaI on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:01 pm

When watching it, first thing I thought was how similar in many aspects this movie was to Japanese director Satoshi Kon's (R.I.P. ): ) works such as Paprika and various others. A few days later, the director confirms this relation.

Due to this, I can't really say I was "blown away" by the concepts or the ideas of the movie, however it was captured on film in live action superbly. Certainly beats most of whats on Hollywood these days anyway.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Unstoppable Florence on Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:54 pm

@ Banter, this is the only forum I frequent. Shocking and sad but true. So I haven't been exposed to this wave of horror.

In fact, I didn't get any hype at all, probably why I enjoyed it so much. But I do understand how hearing... less cultured? people rave about an artwork tends to sour the appreciation of it, if only for a while. That or you just hated it.

But I like to think that on a forum that brings together a crowd of intelligent individuals, we could discuss more closely what made this the best/most annoying (delete as appropriate) film of summer 2010.

YokaI wrote:When watching it, first thing I thought was how similar in many aspects this movie was to Japanese director Satoshi Kon's (R.I.P. ): ) works such as Paprika and various others. A few days later, the director confirms this relation.

Due to this, I can't really say I was "blown away" by the concepts or the ideas of the movie, however it was captured on film in live action superbly. Certainly beats most of whats on Hollywood these days anyway.

I find there's an unfortunate tendency amongst us humans to dismiss something novel as 'not novel enough.' Take Half-Life 2 for example. It brought the gravity gun, and when other games had the gall to copy it, people spoke up. They conveniently ignored that Half-Life 2 was the pinnacle of over a decade of copy-cat-manship: the FPS genre. Don't get me wrong, FPS is my favourite genre, but the concepts behind it have been so endlessly repeated that we've forgotten who first put a medkit in their game. But this bias against the new(ish) is only natural, since we more readily notice that which is out of the ordinary and remember it for future reference.

Frankly I wouldn't care if Inception was a re-branded 19th century fairy tale; it is still the most complete, imaginative and accomplished film I have seen for a very long while.
Dives wrote:Source is kinda like that really old guy in your family that keeps getting older and older and just won't die, but he tells really great stories. And craps the bed on occasion.
Unstoppable Florence
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby YokaI on Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:30 am

Unstoppable Florence wrote:I find there's an unfortunate tendency amongst us humans to dismiss something novel as 'not novel enough.' Take Half-Life 2 for example. It brought the gravity gun, and when other games had the gall to copy it, people spoke up. They conveniently ignored that Half-Life 2 was the pinnacle of over a decade of copy-cat-manship: the FPS genre. Don't get me wrong, FPS is my favourite genre, but the concepts behind it have been so endlessly repeated that we've forgotten who first put a medkit in their game. But this bias against the new(ish) is only natural, since we more readily notice that which is out of the ordinary and remember it for future reference.

Frankly I wouldn't care if Inception was a re-branded 19th century fairy tale; it is still the most complete, imaginative and accomplished film I have seen for a very long while.

Oh no, don't get me wrong, I detest it when people think everything needs some sort of novelty! However, my statement is merely there to say "listen, I don't think this movie IS really as unique as people say it is, regardless of whether or not it is a good movie."

My statement was merely there to say "It's a good movie, well directed, but it certainly isn't what people are saying it is in the "omg it blew my mind it was so completely different" catagory." You get me? XD

I watch a ton of foreign films, so hollywood movies for me are generally not very tolerated. Inception had a good mix of hollywood film while still being, at heart, about the art itself.
YokaI
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Hollow on Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:10 am

I saw Paprika before I watched Inception and drew similarities between the two films, seeing that Nolan was indeed inspired by Kon's animation. But paprika is totally fucked up insane and weirdly intriguing. Whereas Inception is a thoughtful, smart and complex slow burning action thriller. Both very different, and both good.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Ark11 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:44 am

Honestly, it wasen't the best film ever. Especially towards the end when like 10 'dreams' were going on at once.
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Next

Return to Media