Dev'ing for Source is tedious

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Re: Dev'ing for Source is tedious

Postby source-maps on Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:58 pm

Sentura wrote:
marks wrote:Jeez guys don't even bother. If you don't think Source is the most awesomest best engine ever, its because youre a) bad b) doing it wrong c) a moron who knows nothing. Arguing with Mr. Happy = repeatedly smashing your face against a wall.

so how come your studio uses source? i've been meaning to ask this for a while...

because they have allot of experience with hammer and the engine, since they made zombie panic and zombie panic source
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby AcapulcoGold20 on Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:01 pm

I've made this criticism before as well. Although I've gotten very accustomed to using vmt and qc now, the process is very frustrating and tedious. There's nothing more frustrating than having to spend 2 hours figuring out why the model isn't compiling properly because you keep overlooking the obvious typo in your QC file! There has got to be a much more real-time and intuitive way to manage engine content that doesn't leave you screaming.

What I always wanted to see was a more advanced form of the func_detail system in Source. Imagine if an engine had far more powerful polygonal and UV tools built right into the engine that required you to just do a quick checklist compile right in the editor after it was finished and textured? You would remove the need for external 3D packages completely, and also circumnavigate the process of having to block out complicated models or model systems, exporting the simple brushwork, and importing it into your 3D package. I mean, you'd still want to use the more powerful and refined packages for really complex models, but you could very easily create detailed staircases, walkways, pillars, door frames, ect. right in the engine without having to touch a single importer or exporter! What do you guys think?
AcapulcoGold20
Regular
Regular

Postby skoften on Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:57 pm

When Ron Gilbert read this thread he'll be like SPOILED KIDS STFU
skoften
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby marks on Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:01 pm

Sentura wrote:so how come your studio uses source? i've been meaning to ask this for a while...

Business reasons.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby Sentura on Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:25 pm

marks wrote:
Sentura wrote:so how come your studio uses source? i've been meaning to ask this for a while...

Business reasons.

as in, reasons under NDA or what? please elaborate...
Sentura
Regular
Regular

Postby Gradius on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:25 pm

Mr. Happy wrote:As for Unknown World's it was my understanding that they switched to their own engine because 1. They couldn't figure out how to make dynamic infestation on Source (i.e. their coders were newb) and they 2. Made their own level editor because their mappers couldn't figure out how to use Hammer (i.e. their mappers were newb) at any rate natural selection sucks anyway :P :P :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnaJLk8MhL4 lolwhat

If I remember NS wanted to licence hammer itself but they found source incredibly tedious to develop for.
Gradius
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Vilham on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:35 pm

marks wrote:

Business reasons.

What company do you work for?

Ontopic - Tbh I think my source days are over, I haven't used it solidly in a year, I still remember everything but I have no motivation to go back to it, i enjoyed the normal tools, but scripting and importing stuff into source is far too much work. So im gunna be learning UDK for the next few months because well its something very handy to have experience in, it will also allow me to spend more time modeling in max or maya which is always a good thing to improve on.

Might give the NS2 editor a go at some point, ive heard only good things about it.
Designer - Frontier Developments
Vilham
Frontier Developments

Postby source-maps on Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:13 pm

Vilham wrote:
marks wrote:

Business reasons.

What company do you work for?

viewtopic.php?t=33386
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby keldorn on Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:12 am

Tedious
1) Take a func_detail and convert it to a displacement, but forget to remove the func_detail property. Then compile the map, it will say something about a func_detail on a terrain surface.

2) Waste 10 , 20 or more minutes cordoning the map looking for this displacement, becuase you completely forgot where it was. (Also on top of the 30 minutes you already waited for the compiler to keep compiling even thoug hthe map is garbage) Because the level editor and compiler is too stupid to automatically remove the func_detail from the displacement in either the compiler or when you convert a func_detail to a displacement.

3) You have no wasted 1 hour of your life becuase of a func_detail.

4) Valve is too busy making hats.
keldorn
Regular
Regular

Postby CorporalAris on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:10 pm

Why are you converting func_details to displacements? Just don't do that.
CorporalAris
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Mr. Happy on Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:43 pm

if you do that you can just select all the displacements in the visgroup panel and click toworld

fixed in less than 10 seconds.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby source-maps on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:14 pm

altho it's true it's very easy fix
it's a dumb bug that could easily have been prevented by valve
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby ScarT on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:35 pm

Doesn't the compile log give you coordinates for errors like those? Or a pointfile?

Bonus info: There was a point of the development of the Source engine where displacements could be func_detail.
ScarT

Postby keldorn on Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:49 pm

Mr. Happy wrote:if you do that you can just select all the displacements in the visgroup panel and click toworld

fixed in less than 10 seconds.

If this forum had rep, one would be heading your way. :D

altho it's true it's very easy fix
it's a dumb bug that could easily have been prevented by valve

Yeah this is dumb thing that valve could prevent, simple automatically remove func_detail property from the displacement either in the level editor when it happens or later in the compiler.

Doesn't the compile log give you coordinates for errors like those? Or a pointfile?

For this error no. Same for degenerate faces. Another mundane task.
The other one, displacement edges abutting multiple edges or something. That is another one that doesn't give coordinates. :|

Well displacements are cheaper and also to save on the brush limit. Well mostly at this pont becuase my map is dangerously close to the brush limit.
keldorn
Regular
Regular

Postby CorporalAris on Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:49 pm

keldorn wrote:

Well displacements are cheaper and also to save on the brush limit. Well mostly at this pont becuase my map is dangerously close to the brush limit.

OH! That is something I had never thought of, substituting displacements for func_detail. It's less costly to the system you say?
CorporalAris
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Discussion