Level Design Portfolio Of DrFeelGood

Interlopers Portfolio section.

Portfolio rating

2.50 out of 5 (2 ratings)

You must be registered and logged in to rate a portfolio!

Level Design Portfolio Of DrFeelGood

Postby DrFeelGood on Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:21 am

Name: Juston Griggs
Email: jginfl@cfl.rr.com
Steam: webc0der
MSN: jginfl@live.com

A Little Bit About Me
Hello, My name is Juston, I am married, having a wonderful wife & beautiful daughter, and I am self employed, having a successful computer repair business.

I began getting into level design a few years ago. I started out with the basics of SourceSDK & Hammer, and have completed some pretty decent looking maps. I am by no means an expert mapper yet, and im still improving my skills. I also create a lot of my own textures to use in the things I create. I am looking forward to starting school in the spring to focus on Web/Graphic Design and Game Design. I am also currently in the process of learning a little about doing custom models and things of that nature. I am an avid gamer, and I play many different styles of games. But my passion lies with HL2DM.

Most of the maps I have done have been killbox style maps for Deathmatch. Although more recently I am expanding out into doing more "outdoor themed" maps, kind of along the lines of what you might find in CS, or TF2.

Education
1997 Graduate of Humboldt High School

Currently enrolled in Devry University for the upcoming 2011 school year, course of study will be an Associates in Web/Graphic Design with minor studies in Game Design.

Skills
- Hammer Editor (3+years)
- Adobe Photoshop (5+years)
- Frontpage/Dreamweaver (5+years)
- php/mysql/html (5+years)
- Maya/Google Sketchup (5-7 months)

Current Projects
- Currently Working on a Holiday Themed Map for HL2:DM

Other
- Founder and member of the Shoot To Kill Clan

Availability
I am available to join a mod team as a level designer/texture designer, although I have not done anything with mods yet, this is something I wouldn't mind doing as part of a mod team.

Completed Maps
(In order with most recent first)

stk_sundown_mayhem
Image Image Image Image

stk_battle_arena
Image Image Image Image Image Image

- Unfinished Maps -
(Things I started and never finished for one reason or another)

I thought I had a good thing going with this one layout wise. I only gave up after I couldn't decide how i wanted to lay out the interiors. Maybe one day i will pick this back up & finish it

Image Image Image
DrFeelGood
Regular
Regular

Re: Level Design Portfolio Of DrFeelGood

Postby oskutin on Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:48 am

Your mapping is bit blocky and empty.
You should google for some reference pics, and add lots of detail to your maps.
oskutin
Regular
Regular

Postby Habboi on Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:46 pm

From a quick glance the weakest part of your pictures is the lighting. If I were you, I'd google some tutorials on Colour Theory and also look at professional games and take screen grabs. Paste these screen grabs into Photoshop and use the colour picker to sample some of the colours the developers used for the time of day they chose. Also consider contrast as the first set of pictures for sundown_mayhem have no shadows and make it look rather plain and unrealistic.

That should help you understand colour a whole lot better.

Finally, learn to deform your terrain a little and add some interesting shapes in places that are empty. Don't always assume empty spaces need to be filled though. It's all about balance. Also try not to use HL2 content in a portfolio unless it's really impressive. Looking at the old textures just reminds me how outdated the engine is.

(P.S. I have a few Source screens in my portfolio so that may make me sound like a hypocrite but I believe they are of decent quality at this current time. Of course sooner or later they'll be pushed aside by my UDK work.)
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DrFeelGood on Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:55 pm

I'm not trying to impress ANYONE by all means. I know you guys are WAY better at this then I am. There are still aspects of this whole mapping thing I am still having a hard time understanding (like lighting an optimizing). I am NOT looking to try to become the next big thing. I'm just proud of what I have accomplished in the few years I have been doing this.
DrFeelGood
Regular
Regular

Postby Habboi on Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:01 pm

The whole portfolio thing kind of gave that message though. I don't need to lecture a grown man what a portfolio is but even if you weren't trying to impress, my advice still aplies so that you improve as a mapper. That is, if you want to improve? :D

Or is this more of a fun thing? Cause I remember when I first got my hands on modding tools and got really excited at the prospect of creating.

Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DrFeelGood on Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:12 pm

Well, its kinda both ways, Its a fun thing because I'm enjoying learning the programs, and it allows me to be creative. But, at the same time, when I start school next year, I feel that im taking a step in the right direction as far as learning how things flow.

I take anything that the people here at 'lopers say pretty seriously, whether it be constructive criticism or whatever, and the fact that I have picked up on ideas and how things work from reading the tutorials and posts is what keeps be coming back.

As I stated, I basically only did a portfolio as a way for me to show what I have learned thus far. I don't care about becoming the best of the best, and I dont care if any of my stuff ever gets played. For me, its all about the learning and having fun being creative.

And, Habboi, I have taken your suggestions on how to better my terrain & such and have made notes on doing some research on how to get better at it. Lighting and things like that are one of the few things I am still having a hard time getting to look good. Again, I appreciate all the things you guys post here on 'lopers. It has helped me learn things and it keeps me coming back :)
DrFeelGood
Regular
Regular

Postby Habboi on Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:21 pm

Listen, if you want to really learn lighting I'd honestly suggest trying UDK instead of Hammer. The lighting system UDK uses just blows all lighting I ever did in Source, especially since it can be seen in real-time.

Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DrFeelGood on Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:42 am

But I cant use UDK to map for source?
DrFeelGood
Regular
Regular

Postby cheesemoo0 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:55 am

Not even a little bit.
cheesemoo0
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Plague on Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:23 am

DrFeelGood wrote:But I cant use UDK to map for source?

I think the concept is you map for UDK, I think the reason he suggested learning lighting in the UDK is because unlike Source you do not have to recompile to see changes.

As such the UDK is much more efficient in practicing lighting setups/color/ect.
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DrFeelGood on Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:24 am

Ahh
DrFeelGood
Regular
Regular

Return to Portfolios