Joutomaa Mod Remake Released

Comment on the news articles here.

Joutomaa Mod Remake Released

Postby ad_hominem on Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Mephasto, a regular visitor to Interlopers, has recently released a remake of Joutomaa, his 2009 HL2: Ep2 mod. Still entitled Joutomaa, the new version is based on the original, with improvements based on comments and critiques by players. On top of this, the remake also continues the story where the previous mod left off. Here's the synopsis:

Enter the mind of Filip Valkas, who lost his parents in the Seven Hour War, and take your revenge on your Combine captors in a new story centred on the Half-Life Universe. Pick up your own crowbar and force your way out of Citizen Containment Zone 19, and lead in the uprising against the alien aggressors.

Filip was born and bred in the countryside before the portal storms began. After losing his family in aftermath of Seven hour war, he was forced to move into citizen containment zone 19.

Years later, Filip makes the difficult decision to join the Human resistance in order to help smuggle forbidden goods, like clean water and food, into the city and organize the underground resistance. Soon after, he becomes the political prisoner of the Combine.

You can download the mod from PlanetPhillip.com, where you can also read more about the mod and find a large number of screenshots to view.
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Re: Joutomaa Mod Remake Released

Postby SotaPoika on Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:11 pm

Good stuff. Definitely trying this! :)
* Portfolio: http://sp0n3.carbonmade.com/
* No More Room In Hell - Level Designer
* Zombie Panic! Source - Level Designer
SotaPoika
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby source-maps on Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:01 pm

always good to see people releasing their mods, altho I'm not really into halflife themed single player mods anymore
good job nontheles :)
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Pink Panther on Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:26 pm

I remember playing the first release of this, I'm quite eager to see what improvements have been made.

Downloading now, review inbound!
"Here we go again..."
Pink Panther
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Ark11 on Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:50 pm

I played through it and it's great. Download it now!
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby BubbleQ on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:46 pm

I took some time to play through the whole story. It was really well done and the impeltent of some ep2 assets was perfect!

I enoyed it all the way through, action scenes was good and solid. Fun to shot up some combines, but personaly I would not have teaken use of so much weapons, only 3-4 would have been enough. Now I found some ammo of all weapons but did never new when it would be most fun to use them :/ But...
The thing I liked most was that the player did not have much health at all inte beggining, that kinda woke up the role-player in my self ;)
Also ads more deth to the story, witch I missed somehow, dunno if I did not ehar all the conversations but in the end I was a bit cunfused.Though that should not be enough to bring this mod down ey?

A very well done mod and I recommend everybody to play it!
---------------------------------
I am a happy mapper!
Archlinux
BubbleQ
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Generalvivi on Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:57 pm

It was definitely a great play through, some areas were tough but manageable. Took me about an hour or so to play through :)
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

Postby Saxon on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:26 am

I played through the whole mod in one sitting, it was OK. The level progression was generally pretty clear, so too were puzzles - which is more than you can say for most mods which leave me running around wondering "wtf do I do next". The graphics were fine, being about the same standard as EP2.

Combat was the let down of the mod. You could be in one area shooting combine soldiers, then the next adjacent room has headcrabs and zombies in - it felt pretty random.
The AI wasn't particularly great, and none of the battles left any particular impression on me. This doesn't kill the mod it just restricts it from greatness. All in all I would say the mod is about 7/10 score wise.
Saxon
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Kremator on Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:54 am

I played this mod when it first came out and playtested this version a few weeks back, and there's definitely a great degree of improvement. I just wish the mod's story is more ingrained into the maps themselves, I had to read the story from the mod page and if I didn't, I would have no idea what I am supposed to be doing or who I'm supposed to be in the mod. Hopefully the next episode will do a better job of conveying the narrative and establishing objectives!
Kremator
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Mephasto on Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:13 pm

Thanks guys, i will keep eye on this thread. You can email me the review or share it with others if you want. New feedback is allways appericiated.

---

Pictures

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/637/ ... ndneww.jpg

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1787/depot07.jpg

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/2343/hallway05.jpg

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/3801 ... ndnew3.jpg

---

Happy holidays to everyone and special thanks for the people who did help with the mod, always pleasure working with you guys.

~Sauli
Mephasto
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Mr. Happy on Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:24 pm

No enough health or ammo (ammo especially in very beginning), not enough auto saves, biohazard water does too much damage. Otherwise it's very nice so far.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Return to Site News