Ivy Models + Vine Ropes

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Ivy Models + Vine Ropes

Postby Groxkiller585 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:29 pm

Does anyone know where I can get any good, free ivy models? (credit isn't a problem, I can easily give credit where it is due)

I need some for a mappack I am making. I tried making them myself, first as textures but it looked poor, tried a model and that failed too (I am poor at modelling; convincing ivy is WAY past what I can do)

I do NOT wish to use the EP2 models as I wish to be able to redistribute said models, and doing so for EP2 would be illegal.

If that fails, does anyone know of a good program to make ivy models? Or a good place to get ivy textures? I REALLY need them for my map, if I cannot get them I will have to resort to vines, which brings up my second question:

How do you make transparent ropes?

I have tried $alphatest and $transparent, both do not work. I DID notice that default rope textures have an "unused" flag set that I cannot add to my textures by clicking it. Can VTEX get me this flag, and with what command?

If THAT fails I can deal, I will just make the vines static and add leaves via sprites but for realism purposes I really want to make it one rope texture.

TL;DR: I need ivy models/textures and know how to make rope textures transparent.
Groxkiller585
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Re: Ivy Models + Vine Ropes

Postby marnamai on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:32 pm

Displacements + ivy overlay/texture with an alpha map
marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Mess on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:37 pm

Displacements + ivy overlay/texture with an alpha map + propper
Mess
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby cz_squishy on Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:42 pm

No one is really going to care if you use the ivy models from EP2 in your mod, not even valve
cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Groxkiller585 on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:05 pm

Mess wrote:Displacements + ivy overlay/texture with an alpha map + propper

This is how I made my ivy models, but they came out too flat. Plus the Hl2 textures sorta suck, don't fit my theme, and there's only too.

Also, the ivy will be hanging from the ceiling, so the player can see it from all degress from the ground.

cz_squishy wrote:No one is really going to care if you use the ivy models from EP2 in your mod, not even valve

You'd be surprised.
Groxkiller585
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby dark0r on Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:41 pm

Groxkiller585 wrote:
cz_squishy wrote:No one is really going to care if you use the ivy models from EP2 in your mod, not even valve

You'd be surprised.

No really, they don't care. It's for a VALVe game, so I doubt they will shit themselves over an ivy model ;)
dark0r
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby xopa on Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:34 am

http://graphics.uni-konstanz.de/~luft/ivy_generator/

you can play with that.
make some then take pictures.

too bad move_rope doesnt have an option to sprout quads along it.
xopa

Postby Groxkiller585 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:07 pm

dark0r wrote:
Groxkiller585 wrote:

You'd be surprised.

No really, they don't care. It's for a VALVe game, so I doubt they will shit themselves over an ivy model ;)

Still, those do not suit my purpose, I am looking for longer and less clustered versions.

ooh, that looks promising, i will look into it..
Groxkiller585
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:47 pm

I'm making a portal-themed map for HL2 Episode 2. I took some foliage from Left 4 Dead 2 (vines, grass, etc), and some of the models and textures from Portal. I know some people will gripe but I will wait for the guys at Valve to start griping before I reconsider my actions.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gradius on Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:08 am

They won't care within practical limits. That L4D map that was a repackaged TF2 map with all the TF2 resources never attracted any ire (although its possible you may have had to manually extract the resources, I'm not sure, but they did have it on the L4D2 blog).
Gradius
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Groxkiller585 on Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:13 am

ok, I know now it isn't a huge deal but it doesn't really help me because those models don't suit my purpose (though I may steal a few of thier textures)
Groxkiller585
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Return to Custom Asset Help