Postby cz_squishy on Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:25 am

Knights wrote:News Update: EP3 will come with the new SDK..... :jingle:

ಠ_ಠ
cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Re: Valve Working On Improving SDK

Postby LordDz on Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:52 am

Inb4 "OMG the new hammer corrupted all my vmfs" :)
Looking forward to this.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Dionysos on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:50 pm

I'll believe it when I see it. The SDK/tool-chain would need a LOT of streamlining and reworking to make it competitive, imo. But then, they really have no choice if they want a future for the Source engine.
The Venus Project wrote:The most valuable, untapped resource today is human ingenuity.
Dionysos

Postby cpl. punishment on Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:54 pm

cz_squishy wrote:
Knights wrote:News Update: EP3 will come with the new SDK..... :jingle:

ಠ_ಠ

ಠ_ಠ
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Gradius on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:24 pm

ಠ_ರೃ
Gradius
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby marnamai on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:25 pm

If that happens I might quit modding for Source. I would hate to see all my work I 've put in DownFall get lost.
marnamai
Veteran
Veteran

Postby dark0r on Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:29 pm

No doubt the push to improve the SDK tools and to make the entire process easier is being felt throughout all games:

Chet Faliszek posting on L4Dmapper regarding Cold Stream:
One of the experiments with this project [Cold Stream] that we are thinking of rolling out to custom vpks is custom error reporting directly to the modder.

First we are getting regular bug tracker up and public then on [to] cold stream...
dark0r
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Gradius on Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:20 pm

marnamai wrote:If that happens I might quit modding for Source. I would hate to see all my work I 've put in DownFall get lost.

Don't worry. The chances of a new toolset being backported to OB/Source '07 is infintesimally small. Team Fortress 2 or L4D2 if the stars happen to be aligned but otherwise probably just Portal 2, DOTA and anything else Valve makes after then.
Gradius
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Hellraz0r on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:42 am

Wazanator wrote:
Why not just decompile the model, create a new QC file and give it a $scale keyvalue?

Hmm umm lets see, saving time.. umm easier for new mappers uhmm hmm
Hellraz0r
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby joe_dirt976 on Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:31 am

lets hope they enable 64 bit support, not a great necessity really, just nice to have for headroom.
I also hope they ditch command line compile tools for an all inclusive GUI based format. Sick of digging through logs to see what failed because of what syntax at what line.
Major Banter wrote:Joe Dirt. Also known locally in Interlopers as "Hammer Machine"
joe_dirt976
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby srredfire on Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:19 am

joe_dirt976 wrote:lets hope they enable 64 bit support, not a great necessity really, just nice to have for headroom.
I also hope they ditch command line compile tools for an all inclusive GUI based format. Sick of digging through logs to see what failed because of what syntax at what line.

They were kind of going in the right direction, at least in my opinion, with the Alien Swarm compile tools. Yeah, it was literally command line, but it was better than the other versions of Hammer, where if you clicked on anything, it froze and you couldn't watch the progress until it was done, then it would unfreeze. Alien Swarm seems faster too.

What would be nice is if it compiled, then at the end of the compile, besides having it in the log, was tell you if there were any issues, and what they were. Think combining the error checker on here with the compiler. It'd say "x errors found!" and then list what they are, maybe even go the extra mile of having an offline help document like other programs do, Maya/Max, Photoshop, etc, and you'd be able to look up your problems on that!

WOW VALVE HIRE ME.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to Site News