Creating textures: Is this legal?

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Creating textures: Is this legal?

Postby Martin_lb on Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:53 pm

I've noticed that some teams put some photographic pictures (of female models for example) into their maps.

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/2856/n ... tg0143.jpg
http://img.jeuxvideopc.com/images/downl ... rmat/1.jpg

My question is, is it legal to do something like that? Grabbing elements from the internet and use it as a texture or part of a texture in maps/mods?

I for example plan to create an advertisement poster for a HL2 map and I would like to put a female model into it.
But I want to avoid any legal problems.
Martin_lb
Just Joined
Just Joined

Re: Creating textures: Is this legal?

Postby MayheM on Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:15 pm

Well, the line is kindof fuzzy with that question. I am not sure if it is legal, but in all likelihood so one will come after you for using an image you found on the internet. I know people often look down on using brand names and such, but I have never heard of a company going after a person for using a logo or image in a level they created. In fact in someways you are helping them advertise...

For the most part it depends on what you are using though. If it is just a random pic from the net even if it is not "legal" like I said the chances are slim anyone will give you flack about it.
MayheM
Veteran
Veteran

Postby The Giblets of Jesus on Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Presuming no full nudity is shown, I presume it's legal.
The Giblets of Jesus
Regular
Regular

Postby pk_hunter on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:03 pm

It is a breach of copyright if the image is not yours to use, yes, but you'd only face a legal issue if you sold the map you're making for profit.
On the most utterly remote chance that someone did raise an issue with you using the image in your free-to-play map, the worst that would happen would be that they demand you remove it.

In short, you won't get sued unless you gain profit from their image.

You'd get a better result if you got a friend to pose specifically for the poster you're making, though.
pk_hunter
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby cheesemoo0 on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:49 pm

On flickr or DeviantArt you can find many, many stock photos that people make and give away for free. Sometimes they are restrictions, but because you aren't selling anything I doubt you will have any problems.

Now that is the legal way. The illegal way is that you could nab some photos from anywhere and I doubt anyone would give you trouble.
cheesemoo0
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby cz_squishy on Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:22 pm

Ewwwwwwww.....is that 1187?
cz_squishy
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby crazycarl on Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:34 am

If whoever holds the copyright for the image finds it, they could try and sue you for damages (they'd most likely send you a cease-and-desist letter first, at which point you could replace the image with something else).

If you search for "royalty free" images you can find a lot of stuff that's free to use.
crazycarl
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Shrinker on Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:16 pm

Using images or other media without the consent of the copyright holder is a violation of copyright, and you can be sued for that, no matter whether you sell your derived work or not.
Shrinker
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby mookie on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:44 am

Normally that would be illegal, but only likely to become an issue if the copyright owner is a profit-seeking entity (professional photographer, media organization, etc.) rather than an amateur photographer.

You can look for images released under a CC license, most likely not "share alike" and definitely not "no derivative works." You could also contact the photographer to ask for permission. If you're looking at pictures from personal online photo albums, it's likely that you would be able to get in contact. Pictures taken by federal employees are not subject to copyright, but unfortunately will probably not help you much in this case. Some other governments may have similar laws. Be careful whatever you do, since just because someone posts a picture somewhere doesn't mean they actually hold the copyright. Pictures that list some information from the camera (make and model, sometimes location) are probably a good bet.

http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/
"When you mess up, it makes me feel better about me." -- Vince Masuka
mookie
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby jister on Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:39 am

it's often just as easy to take your own picture. I'm sure you know a female who will pose for you, if you ask nice ;)
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Jordash on Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:20 pm

cz_squishy wrote:Ewwwwwwww.....is that 1187?

Second image is Poke646, and somehow I doubt the first one is 1187
Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Custom Asset Help