UDK Optimization

Help and discussion relating to UnrealEd and the UDK

UDK Optimization

Postby Mephasto on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Hey, recently i ran into problems with the UDK compile times, as i increased the ammount of detail in my scene. It takes around 20minutes to compile with preview light settings. However the UDK starts crashing on Encoding lightmaps part, it finishes 22/40 before crashing.

I'm pretty sure the high loading times are related to dynamic lights, i have one environmental dynamic light and one normal on the whole scene. However, almost every object on default has the following flags on, i tried looking into the offical maps but these have them too.

I have Lightmap importance volume around the map.

So my question is, have you any tips how to optimize my scene, it looks very different from how things were done in source. I found one guide from the offical site, but its not been very helpful.

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/LevelOptimization.html

Would be easier if i had something i could compare my values into, but the offical UDK maps seem to be using same expensive default settings, i have no idea how those manage to work.

Mephasto
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Re: UDK Optimization

Postby Knights on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:37 am

This editor loves long light compile times.... I would start putting things in seperate levels and compiling only what I would like to see ATM... The UDK is nothing short but a hog on time when building lighting. My next suggestion would be to buy the best Intel processor you can get that would help a lot... :jingle:
Random gallery... Knights_Stuff.
Home page --> http://www.knights.interlopers.net/
Knights
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Gary on Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:50 pm

My compile times are far better, as I took control over a old laptop and my brother's computer and they are part of my build farm. Though real game devs have like tens of computers in their buildfarm, just one more computer makes this extremely useful. Learning the UDK would of been far less pleasant without this.

While I figure it out myself as it's pretty self explanatory, here is a link.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Kyl' on Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:36 pm

Hey :)

Instead of using a single Lightmass importance volume, use multiple ones.

That solved my crashes (out of memory) and long build times.

Cheers !
Kyl'
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby marks on Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:07 pm

Seriously, I'd be extremely surprised if Epic don't have a similar process to what we have at work. All the builds get queue'd to compile overnight - once everyone is out of the office, every PC (150+) gets clocked into the renderfarm/buildfarm and the software manager starts working through the queue. You can get a lot of stuff compiled really quickly with that kind of horsepower.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby Fearian on Wed May 04, 2011 3:03 pm

Check your lighting build details (view > lighting somethingorother) right after a build. You should have a long list of all your lightmapped assets. You can sort this by the % it takes to bake. So if you notice some prop takes up 10% of the render time, you can go check it out and see that it's light map size is bigger than you need or it's opacity map is making things chug. Good for trouble shooting!

Sorry I'm very vauge, I don't have udk here to check!
Fearian
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Return to UnrealEd Help