Legs in a Source mod? No way!

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

Re: Legs in a Source mod? No way!

Postby Armageddon on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:25 pm

This would be worth it just to see yourself in a mirror.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby jister on Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Kosire wrote:Look's stupid when you run, or maybe it's just the animations.

Here's a references from L4D I just took.. try to position it like this (able to see belly and legs are not so crazy ass far away)

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/8617/l4dlegs.jpg

Edit: On the picture I'm looking 90 degress down, as far as you can with you're mouse, if that helps! :)

the left hand holding the gun on the right side looks totally impossible without seeing the arm crossing the torso this way... i guess it's because the hands and gun are too high up, or you just see too much of the waste. the gun should almost be just beside/above the waste in this position.
jister
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Saxon on Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:14 am

jister wrote:
Kosire wrote:Look's stupid when you run, or maybe it's just the animations.

Here's a references from L4D I just took.. try to position it like this (able to see belly and legs are not so crazy ass far away)

http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/8617/l4dlegs.jpg

Edit: On the picture I'm looking 90 degress down, as far as you can with you're mouse, if that helps! :)

the left hand holding the gun on the right side looks totally impossible without seeing the arm crossing the torso this way... i guess it's because the hands and gun are too high up, or you just see too much of the waste. the gun should almost be just beside/above the waste in this position.

That's only to do with view model origins, it should hardly be a problem if you have your weapons origined Raven Shield style.
Saxon
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Subdivision on Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:52 pm

It looks very cool! This was just what the game needed, for a very very long time.
I guess you won't be able to shoot yourself (Dont really see why you'd want to) since the gun doesn't aim so far down? Am I right?

Keep up the awesome work guys!
Subdivision

Postby nub on Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:34 pm

Didn't L4D1 do it pretty decently so that the arms didn't look so silly when you looked down? I'm pretty sure you could see your waist and a bit of your torso. I was actually really depressed that they took that feature out from L4D2.

If you could get it to be as good as Mirrors Edge...you'd be a god. Probably not possible in Source though.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ThaGuyWithCake on Sat May 21, 2011 5:18 am

Hey man, I'm new to programming and have Microsoft Visual C++ 2010, which .cpp file do you put it in? and which line do we start the code on? if you don't mind me asking.
ThaGuyWithCake

Postby LordDz on Sat May 21, 2011 6:25 pm

nub wrote:Didn't L4D1 do it pretty decently so that the arms didn't look so silly when you looked down? I'm pretty sure you could see your waist and a bit of your torso. I was actually really depressed that they took that feature out from L4D2.

If you could get it to be as good as Mirrors Edge...you'd be a god. Probably not possible in Source though.

I think the difference is that in L4D1, the model that you're viewing in your firstperson, is just the weapon and the legs, but they way he did it, he shows the whole model in first person.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby nub on Sat May 21, 2011 8:56 pm

Nah I could have sworn it was more than just the legs in L4D1. You could see at least a bit of the character's waist and MAYBE a bit of their abdomen.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Kosire on Sat May 21, 2011 9:17 pm

nub wrote:Nah I could have sworn it was more than just the legs in L4D1. You could see at least a bit of the character's waist and MAYBE a bit of their abdomen.

Scroll up a little and see the guy who quoted me where I posted a screenshot of it in l4d1???
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby LordDz on Sun May 22, 2011 1:55 am

nub wrote:Nah I could have sworn it was more than just the legs in L4D1. You could see at least a bit of the character's waist and MAYBE a bit of their abdomen.

What I meant was that the L4D1 model was built specific for that part, = there are legs, waist model, and an arms model for viewing in first person. The third person view has a separate model.

In CSS: There are no model for legs, so he used the thirdperson model.
With third person I mean the model that other player sees.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Jordash on Sun May 22, 2011 4:55 am

L4D uses the thirdperson model as legs, or at least it is the same model minus the arms. It doesn't make sense to double up models as there are already working thirdperson animations.
Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby dark0r on Sun May 22, 2011 9:15 am

After speaking to Tony Sergi, I'm doing it the way I was doing it originally (meaning only a few changes in code). It uses bodygroups to toggle the arms and head of the thirdperson model on/off. Simple and effective. I've got exams until the 7th June, hence my lack of activity. However, I will be posting on VDC a short while after that.
dark0r
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Jordash on Sun May 22, 2011 3:42 pm

That's probably a good idea, I loaded the code up and even though that clipping thing was awesome, the thirdperson arms would show when the player crouched
Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Jordash on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:12 pm

I just found a gmod lua script which does this too, they solved the upper body problems by using bonematrixtranforms to hold the it still (at least that's what I could understand)
Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby dark0r on Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:32 pm

Jordash, the best way to do it is by using bodygroups. When rendering in firstperson, disable the arms and head. Otherwise, render normally. This is how it work in Tactical Intervention, and another mod which has first-person legs (Tony Sergi's Valkyrie IIRC)
dark0r
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

PreviousNext

Return to Showcase