Attack in Norway

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Re: Attack in Norway

Postby Dr. Delta on Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:35 am

Simpletool wrote:
jangalomph wrote:Life imprisonment takes my tax money to pay for some worthless soul. This guy isn't taking my money since it isn't my country. But I hate paying for all the people in prison. Put taxes to good use like schools, and maybe our schooling system wouldn't be shit.

Except you're wrong.

http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/issu ... nalty-cost

You could (should?) let them do things to let society profit from. Maybe let them clean up/make stuff, idk.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:22 am

Simpletool wrote:
jangalomph wrote:Life imprisonment takes my tax money to pay for some worthless soul. This guy isn't taking my money since it isn't my country. But I hate paying for all the people in prison. Put taxes to good use like schools, and maybe our schooling system wouldn't be shit.

Except you're wrong.

the article makes me despise the bureaucracy of the current court system even more. How in the hell did we allow it (the trial period) to become so expensive? Fucking lawyers....
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Simpletool on Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:47 am

joe_rogers_11155 wrote:
Simpletool wrote:

Except you're wrong.

the article makes me despise the bureaucracy of the current court system even more. How in the hell did we allow it (the trial period) to become so expensive? Fucking lawyers....

Probably has something to do with ensuring beyond reasonable doubt the people we're going to execute are guilty first.
Simpletool
Regular
Regular

Postby Ashfall_2008 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:49 am

The scariest thing about this guy is that I honestly don't think he's crazy.
What he did was crazy but he himself is not.

He planned this for 10 years.
If you read the excerpts from his journal, he was meticulous in his methods. He set up fake companies to get hold of the chemicals he needed to make the bomb. He built an underground storage locker for his guns etc.. all while maintaining a fake persona to show to the world.

Think about it this way. If we had discovered that he was part of a cell of 5 right wing extremists. Would we still be considering him to be crazy? Or just as evil as those bastards who flew jets into the World Trade Center?

Just because he acted alone, doesn't mean he's off his rocker....
Ashfall_2008
Regular
Regular

Postby source-maps on Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:25 pm

he's just a religious christian extremist

I don't understand why we do this to our own species... just because they believe in a similar but different fairy-tale than you do
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 4:12 pm

Simpletool wrote:
joe_rogers_11155 wrote:
Simpletool wrote:

Except you're wrong.

Probably has something to do with ensuring beyond reasonable doubt the people we're going to execute are guilty first.

I'm pretty sure we could surgically separate this guy's circulatory system from his body and let him slowly die of cavity exposure and starvation ... and nobody would think it was too unjust.
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MNM on Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:04 pm

Well I am against any kind of death penalty
When in doubt, VDC.
MNM
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Simpletool on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:32 pm

I also find it interesting how this thread progressed from muslim blaming before the identity of the killer was revealed to torture fantasies, without any real discussion of why this happened in between.

You guys are children.
Simpletool
Regular
Regular

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:11 pm

Interesting point, simpletool. Here's a quote that I agree with.

"In a larger sense, we want very badly to believe that we have evolved beyond the implacable rules of the veldt, the iron law of tooth and claw. But in reality, the veldt is always with us, along with the knowledge that some in our pack, our extended family, are irrevocably broken. Rather than listen to his message, or endlessly ponder what series of events or severed synapses led to his rampage, or agonize over greater meanings, the Norway shooter should be put down like the rabid animal he is and let the human beings get on with mourning their dead."
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Simpletool on Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:12 am

Your willingness to take another man's life for a feign sense of justice is what bothers me. Anders is a criminal, a sociopath, he has destroyed not just the lives of those he took but those around them. Killing him however will not properly serve the dead, their families, or the country suffering this tragedy. It will only add another body to the pile. Take this terrible terrible lesson to understand the motives that drove him to commit this horrendous act. The politic ideologies that fueled his xenophobia so intensely that the idea of murdering children would become an acceptable means for an end.

Only then will you have properly served justice.
Simpletool
Regular
Regular

Postby LordDz on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:23 am

Also, by not torturing him to death, they're trying to get information out of him, that might lead to other possible psychos, etc.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Simpletool on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:53 am

joe_rogers_11155 wrote: the Norway shooter should be put down like the rabid animal he is and let the human beings get on with mourning their dead."

Want to know why this quote is stupid? Because we're not talking about an animal. Were it an animal its motives would be easy to define. Anders is not an animal, he didn't kill because primeval instincts.

If we can't take the time to learn from this tragedy, to try and prevent another one from occurring, then we as society (yes, you and I) have taken on part of the responsibility for these deaths. We didn't pull the trigger, we didn't plant the bombs, we didn't provide the bullets, but our apathy and shortsightedness allowed the extreme ideologies to grow like an infectious polyp in the mind of these unstable individuals. It feels wrong, it feels dirty to consider our responsibility in these tragedies but until we accept that they will continue to occur...over and over again.

Oklahoma City Bombing
Tuscon Shooter
9/11
D.C. Snipers
London Bus Bombings
Madrid Bombings
Omagh Bombing
Wall Street Bombing
Moscow Theater Crisis
Beslan School Attack

Just to name a few.
Last edited by Simpletool on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simpletool
Regular
Regular

Postby Ale on Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:11 am

Simpletool, your attitude is repulsive. Stop trying to raise above others.
Ale
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby zombie@computer on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:59 pm

Ale wrote:Simpletool, your attitude is repulsive. Stop trying to raise above others.

When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby MNM on Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:30 pm

My money is on stupid
When in doubt, VDC.
MNM
Pheropod
Pheropod

PreviousNext