Exporting Model Question, Sketchup to Hammer

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

Exporting Model Question, Sketchup to Hammer

Postby Dr Evil on Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:50 pm

I have a couple google sketchup models I would like to export and put into one of my maps. I have installed the sketchup export plugins from the sourcesdk directory, and then I exported the .smd.... but according to what I've been reading on one of the tutorials here on interlopers is that I need more then one .smd file before i can create my .qc file? The reason this confuses me is when I export from Sketchup it is only creating one .smd file, not multiple.

Can someone maybe help me understand this better?

Thanks
Dr Evil
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Re: Exporting Model Question, Sketchup to Hammer

Postby Gary on Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:58 pm

Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Dr Evil on Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:01 am

As you can see any animated model will require at least two .SMDs – and a glance at the Half-Life source files in the SDK will show you that most models include a very large number of animation files. Most models however will use only a single reference .SMD.

So if its not a animated model I only need one smd file?
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Gary on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:51 am

Yeah.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Dr Evil on Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:14 am

okay my next question is, you wouldnt happen to know how I get my textures from sketchup would you?
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Gary on Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:35 am

Nope. I never played around with Sketchup enough to know that.

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Dr Evil on Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:14 pm

Damn ok... Thanks for the help thusfar... I have a trial version of Maya installed just looking at the GUI scares the fuck out of me LMAO
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby PhoeniX1992 on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:12 pm

I think there's a plugin for Sketchup which will allow you to map for source. It also has a few (textured) example maps if I remember correctly. Maybe you could learn something from them?
PhoeniX1992
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Gary on Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:37 pm

It can export vmf with a plugin?!

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Dr Evil on Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:47 am

yah, it can.. but the textures are funky to me... i havent been able to get them to go into hammer...if I 'build a map" in sketchup and export the vmf... the default texture comes up as the grey grid
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Jordash on Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:32 am

if you export it as a vmf for hammer, the texture name in sketcup has to be the path (eg. 'metal/citadel_tilefloor016a'), it doesn't matter what the texture actually is, hammer only reads the name.

if you export it as an smd the material name will be as it is named in sketchup, so if you have a material called 'sketchupmaterial', then the compiled model will look for 'sketchupmaterial.vmt' in whichever directory you setup in the qc ('models/props_sketchup' is probably an easy place to remember). Again, it does not matter what the texture is in sketchup, the process only records the name.

I've made a map in sketchup and I would advise against it, the texture application tools are worthless and entities can't do much. I'd say they intended it only for complex geometry (still no concave shapes though)
Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Art Creation