Why is youtube so slow?

Films, albums, random internet videos.

Why is youtube so slow?

Postby Jangalomph on Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:51 am

YouTube has gotten slower and slower over the past few years. I run Firefox, and I have fiber optic internet services "10 - 50 Mb/s". Every other webpage is super fast. YouTube takes 20 - 30 minutes to just load a 15 minute video. Its really ticking me off. I can't even watch at 20 second video. I have adblock plus on. I tried using google chrome but youtube is even slower on there. What did I do to make youtube hate me? How can I fix this crap? :smt021
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Re: Why is youtube so slow?

Postby Post-Hoc on Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:46 am

I have noticed the same thing, I blame Google buying it, but it's also the HD function they have added. And your internet probably sucks. :P
Post-Hoc
Regular
Regular

Postby Dives on Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:53 am

They're implementing some new features so its likely a result of that.

Edit: And it appears to be back to its normal fast speed.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Jangalomph on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:22 pm

Post-Hoc wrote:I have noticed the same thing, I blame Google buying it, but it's also the HD function they have added. And your internet probably sucks. :P

My internet definately doesn't suck my friend. We just got new fiber optic upgrades in my town :P
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Zecrah on Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:45 pm

I hate with a burning passion their new stupid HD thing. I don't want it to 'load as it plays'. I wish it would just stop, load my HD, and then resume. Or at least give me the option to disable it. It barely seems to work, it just stays in 320 until I reach the end and then it's like "Ohey, now you can have those extras pixels you wanted." /rant.
Major Banter wrote:Zecrah, you've come from nowhere yet have rapidly become a Hammer God.

Wtf.

Check out my weapons tutorial
Zecrah
Design Section Moderator

Postby Dives on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:18 pm

Uhhh, that is very strange behavior Zecrah. They've had HD since 2008 and its always worked properly for me. Update your flash?
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Zecrah on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Yeah, it's always been fine for me but in the last month it's just been annoyingly slow. Usually, if I hit the drop down menu and clicked '720p' the video would pause, load and buffer the 720p version, and resume playing. Now, when I hit 720p, I get a little infinite loading wheel appear next to it and it continues playing in 320. And some undisclosed point it decides it's ready to load 720p, and suddenly it becomes HD. It's annoying as hell, since it rarely works and I end up spamming refresh and such.

I assumed it was something YouTube changed.
Major Banter wrote:Zecrah, you've come from nowhere yet have rapidly become a Hammer God.

Wtf.

Zecrah
Design Section Moderator

Postby Jangalomph on Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:28 pm

Yeah, mine does the infinite loading crap now too :| so annoying.
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby pk_hunter on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:53 pm

I don't have a problem with it. I watch long youtube videos regularly as a TV student and I'm able to play 720p with only a few seconds pause at the start to let the buffer get a bit ahead of the playback.

Using Opera, btw - That browser people use to see what Firefox will be like next year.
pk_hunter
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Zecrah on Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:47 am

lol.

I use Chrome, so you'd think it would work properly considering they're owned by the same company.

Wtf.

Zecrah
Design Section Moderator

Return to Media