DuctTape - Won't connect to steam service

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

DuctTape - Won't connect to steam service

Postby Craminator on Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:07 am

I decided to try the DuctTape tool made by coder. After I install and run the program it tries to initialize the steam service, but fails and give me a message saying it tried for 30 seconds. Has anyone had this issue and is there a fix? I'd like to use this tool for some stuff, it seems really powerful.
Map it up! Current Project : cs_slowtech
Craminator

Re: DuctTape - Won't connect to steam service

Postby zombie@computer on Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:29 pm

Unfortunately ducttape isnt updated anymore and coder is working on his own game engine, so don't expect much from him. I cowrote parts of ducttape but i cant even debug it because theres some serious issues with Ducttape and my current setup that im unable (well, actually, unWILLING) to solve. So i'm not much of a help either. Make sure steam is already running, restart if you can. Perhaps updating your copy of steam_api.dll (from another mod or .gcf) ?
It could be an issue with the latest sourcesdk updates, in which case you should use ducttape with another source engine version (2007 or 2009)
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Craminator on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:13 am

Thanks zombie, i haven't had any luck with some of the troubleshoots you suggested. It's sad you guys aren't working on DuctTape anymore. It's a powerful piece of software if it ran right :P
Craminator

Postby ScarT on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:44 am

DuctTape looks for SteamService.exe (if I recall correctly), and that's not a part of Steam anymore so it'll never connect. I've thought about fixing it, and release an update but having to install VS2008 for that will never happen. I'm working on a new version of it though. Things are going rather slow though.
ScarT

Postby Craminator on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:39 pm

Nice to hear. I'll keep my eyes on the site for a release.
Craminator

Postby zombie@computer on Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:16 pm

ok i dont know if this helps for ducttape, but since im using ducttape's dlls to connect to steam i see no reason why it wouldnt work for ducttape: Ducttape can't connect to the newest filesystem_steam.dll, so you'll have to point it to the older one.

step 1: backup sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\filesystem_steam.dll
step 2: copy sourcesdk\bin\source2007\bin\filesystem_steam.dll to sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin\filesystem_steam.dll
step 3: celebrate.

So yeah, thats it. I dont know why it wont work anymore, probably some 'addition' that breaks everything else. Since i dont see any changes in the filesystem sourcefiles provided in the sourcesdk, i dont know where to start to actually start using the new dll.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Return to Custom Asset Help