I've brought the Qs, can someone bring the As?

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

I've brought the Qs, can someone bring the As?

Postby GodAndAirborne on Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:04 pm

Guys, while story-boarding "Omnichronia", I've realized that a lot of what I want accomplished is going to be rather complex. For instance, having perused the animation list for most of the NPC models, I've noticed I'm going to have to create (...or pay to have done) a few animations to accomplish what's on script. Now, before I dip into my budget, I want to make an attempt in learning/carrying out what needs to be done myself. Thus, this topic was created to glean from the masters.

Now and then, I'll have a hodge-podge of questions ranging from NPC animations/gestures to character texturing to implementing triggers and func_whatevers-- so this thread will be bumped here and there. And I guarantee you right now, many of these questions you've either, A). seen before (...I know some of these Qs have been posted, but I need the Rosetta Stone/Sesame Street Edition to really grasp it.) or B). about things you could do blind-folded. So...without further ado:

Q1: In Faceposer, is it possible to combine gestures to get a desired effect? For instance, with Breen, would it be possible to have him move his hands while both sighing and walking?

Q2: In general, for an accomplished NPC animator, how long does it take to create a custom animation? I ask this one in the event I need to pay for a service.

Thanks, guys.
GodAndAirborne

Re: I've brought the Qs, can someone bring the As?

Postby stoopdapoop on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:55 pm

A1: Yeah, absolutely, that's one of the things it's built for and does really well.

A2: That's a very difficult question to answer, it depends on the complexity, expected quality, and experience of the animator. It's much like asking how "long does it for a modeler to make a model" or "How long does a painter take to paint a picture"

Some animations are harder to make than others, things involving precise movements hands and fingers generally take longer than broad motions. You need to first figure out what animations you'll need to be made because sometimes it's a multi-step affair. If you want to replace a walk/run cycle, then your animator will have to make 9 seperate but similar animations, and nine more if you want to replace the the crouching versions of those animations.

If you just want something like a viewmodel animated, then an experienced animator can crank one out in relatively little time.

I guess the crux of my message is, It depends. You'll have to ask the animator how long it will take him to make what you're asking for.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stormy on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:41 am

Animations are easily made in whatever program the animator is using, it's getting them into source and playing nicely with the other kids that takes the time. From my experience you'd be better off having a modeller make and export the animations to smd and then handle the compiling yourself. That would save you money for sure. The only possible setback would be you might not get a very agreeable animation without being very descriptive to your modeller about your requirements. Depending on your modeller, animation and how much time you have, a simple animation can make its way into a mod in roughly 2-5 hours. I made this in about 3 hours by myself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9nK6oJ1Hd0
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby GodAndAirborne on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:13 pm

And so the first of many bumps begins...

Q). Guys, how do I take a screenshot of my work? I can't use Print Screen while I'm in Half-Life 2: Ep2, so does anyone know how to take a screenshot? Thanks.
GodAndAirborne

Postby Dives on Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:29 pm

Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby MaK on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:04 am

GodAndAirborne wrote:And so the first of many bumps begins...

Q). Guys, how do I take a screenshot of my work? I can't use Print Screen while I'm in Half-Life 2: Ep2, so does anyone know how to take a screenshot? Thanks.

I believe it's F12, but that can be changed. That will take a screenshot of it and put it on your steam if you like.
MaK

Postby Armageddon on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:42 am

Or you can go to options and see what key is bound to take a Screenshot, I believe the default is F5, I would suggest using jpeg_quality 100 in the console before you take pictures. They should be put out into a folder called Screenshots in the main game directory.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Major Banter on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:46 am

Enter the command
Code: Select all
bind p screenshot

Then hit 'p' to take a .tga file screenshot, which is far higher in resolution.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Armageddon on Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:48 am

Ah, I forgot about that one.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Carbon14 on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:52 am

Major Banter wrote:Enter the command
Code: Select all
bind p screenshot

Then hit 'p' to take a .tga file screenshot, which is far higher in quality.

Fixed :P In the case of games resolution is a measure of the number of pixels, not picture quality or lack of compression.
Carbon14
Regular
Regular

Postby Major Banter on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:38 pm

Ah same diff, hurr.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby GodAndAirborne on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:57 pm

I'm attempting to create a simple 90-degree angled road using an arch block, and I've turned this 90-degree arch into a displacement so I can sew it together with the other terrain displacements. Well sir, it simply will not sew together. Is there anything I can do to correct this? Thanks.

Edit- Also, let me ask two sensitive questions: 1). Is it allowed (re: legal) to use models from other Source games (i.e., CS:S or L4D) in Half Life 2 mods? 2). Is it illegal to use copyrighted music (i.e., selections from movie soundtracks) in a mod? These may seem like rather stupid questions, but since the mod isn't a commercial project I was curious either would be allowed. Thanks again...
GodAndAirborne

Postby Phott on Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:32 pm

Wait.. Why would you need to make an angled road and then turn it into a displacement? Is it a road texture you want to use at an angle or something?

It probably won't sew together because the displacement grid isn't aligned (and it most likely can't because the angled brushes won't be the same size as the rest. It's hard to explain, uh... Still, if you want to make an angled road of some sort on displacement you might be better off using overlays.

Oh and as far as copyrighted music goes, I don't think it's legal to actually do it. You'll be including the sound files for the mod which can easily be extracted, so you've basically shared it for free. Still, I've seen mods use copyrighted music before.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby GodAndAirborne on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:44 pm

Phott, let me ask you then: how do I create 90-degree roads without using a displacement or an arch? I ask because I don't know any other way to do so. Thanks.
GodAndAirborne

Postby Phott on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:23 am

If you just want a regular 90 degree road you've probably done it the right way (arch tool) but I don't see the point in making it a displacement.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Custom Asset Help