Model Buoyancy

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Model Buoyancy

Postby skankdragon on Sat Dec 10, 2011 12:58 am

Hey all,

I had a question regarding buoyancy and models in half life 2. I'm working on a map right now, and was thinking of modifying existing boats (the small ones) or making new ones, which could support 1-2 players on their buoyancy alone.

Is there a setting somewhere where I can modify buoyancy directly. I'm aware of the prop_data defaults, but I don't think any of them would fit. I need to adjust the buoyancy to a higher level.

Thanks.
skankdragon
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Model Buoyancy

Postby skankdragon on Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:38 am

Just a note: I was able to hash together a working solution for the boat model I made. It now floats quite nicely and acts like a real boat. Here are the settings of the QC file for anyone who is interested:

$modelname "ds_rowboat"
$scale .25
$staticprop
$cdmaterials "models\diamondshoals"

$keyvalues
{
prop_data
{
base Wooden.Large
dmg.bullets 0
AIWalkable 1

}
}

$body "Body" "rowboat_ref.SMD"

$sequence "Idle" "E:\Users\Sporkwhistle\Desktop\Rowboat\rowboat_ref.SMD" fps 30 ACT_IDLE 1

$surfaceprop "Wood_lowdensity"

$collisionmodel "E:\Users\Sporkwhistle\Desktop\Rowboat\rowboat_phys.SMD"
{
$mass 1600
$dampening .5
$inertia 192
$rotdamping 16
$drag 16

}

I think the key here is the
$surfaceprop "Wood_lowdensity"
line. This $surfaceprop has a very high buoyancy and floats very well. I also believe that mass in source is tied to buoyancy... in that the higher the mass the more buoyant the object is. So by setting the $surfaceprop to a high buoyancy material and with a large mass, you get a very buoyant/stable object.
skankdragon
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: Model Buoyancy

Postby Stormy on Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:49 am

nicely discovered, I might be able to use this soon, thanks for sharing.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Return to Custom Asset Help