HL2:EP2 help with car rig

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

HL2:EP2 help with car rig

Postby DIO-SVK on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi all.Can anyone please guide/show me how to make car rig for Ep2.I made simple but nice model with propper.exe Image
yes i know no wheels,Sterring wheel and seats but i can copy them from buggy 4xfront wheels and seats can be fine.

biggest problem is that i need to know how to rig this model for use as car.
I have XSI valve plugin and buggy hl2_jeep scene but its quite messy/hard and + i dont need fancy suspension because this car have only train Leaf spring.See

Thanks and please reply...
DIO-SVK
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: HL2:EP2 help with car rig

Postby Stormy on Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:03 am

is this going to be a freely driveable vehicle or on rails? Free driving vehicles are substantially more difficult than sequence based ones.
If it was on rails all you would need is an idle animation and a driving animation and you would use triggers to swap between the two. For a free driving vehicle you'll have to do a lot more than just swap out some wheels and recompile. You'll need to code the vehicle into your mod. Things like speed and handling could largely be cloned from existing source code, but you'll most likely want to change where the players attach to the model when driving/passenging, change sounds etc.
I don't know how to do any of this unfortunately so I can't help :( but your best bet is to have a look at the source code in your sdk_content folder to see how the originals are handled.
Also for a complex model like a vehicle, you really need to use something better than propper.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby LordDz on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:14 am

Can't you do the old hammer vehicle trick ? Game_ui with lots of thrusters.
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby DIO-SVK on Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi yes Black_Stormy i want freely driveable vehicle like jeep from Hl2 and i use propper because is faster make static/physics models in hammer or for prototype reference mesh and colision model and LordDz i have that Game_ui with trusters trick from g-mod forum but that car is too hard to drive and will be better with rig+animation.

i know how to rig small soldering robot arm and animate so
I can decompile model to smd and import to XSI but that valve plugin (jeep scene) is for me too messy and i dont need that fancy suspension just simple deformation of that Leaf springs and animation of spinning and steering thats all :-)
i just need something like guide or tutorial.On one forum (facepunch.com) i found video tut for this source engine car rigging but that links to videos are out date (deleted)

really no one ? know how ??
anyway thanks for reply :-)
DIO-SVK
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby DIO-SVK on Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Update ok i managed to get better driveable behavior for this car with Game_ui /trusters trick.
But another problem came.The Player in vehicle seat is invulnerable.Either form bullets and phys impacts of car.Only if fast zombie attack or jumps to seat player recieve damage.Is any idea how i can fix this bad behivour.I think somthing is wrong with hitbox of the seat (jalopy_seat.mdl).

The Car is prop_physics = flatbedtron.mdl and wheels is attached via phys_hinge.
Player seat is prop_vehicle_choreo_generic = jalopy_seat.mdl it is parented to (prop_physics = flatbedtron.mdl)

thanks and please reply...

Edit: i think if car recieve damage it can fire output.but how i can share this damage to player seat??
DIO-SVK
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Gary on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:26 pm

Are you using a custom codebase?
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Return to Custom Asset Help