The Maddogs Source SDK Tutorials

Films, albums, random internet videos.

The Maddogs Source SDK Tutorials

Postby The Maddog on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:47 am

I am starting up a youtube channel dedicated to Source SDK tutorials.

No disturbing music to ruin your concentration, just watch and learn.

My youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/lmaddog91?feature=mhee

How to create an arch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tbvch7 ... Et2iBavTNc

I will add more videos every few days.
The Maddog

Re: The Maddogs Source SDK Tutorials

Postby Phott on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:09 am

Right, there are probably a lot of tutorials out there both text and video. Definitely on the arch tool. But that isn't really what's wrong here, but there is just complete silence. No explanation for what you're doing or why. A tutorial would at the very least talk you through the process of which tools you are using, but with the arch it is also important to mention how and why it is optimized.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ich 666 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:50 am

Totally agree with Phott. And on another note: it comes over slightly arrogant, when you call yourself a professional mapper in the description.
Ich 666
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby The Maddog on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:02 am

Saves me time from changing my description when i eventually become a professional mapper.

@Phott i will fix the sound.
The Maddog

Postby Phott on Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:38 pm

The Maddog wrote:Saves me time from changing my description when i eventually become a professional mapper.

Is this a joke? Am I being trolled?
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby The Maddog on Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:15 pm

No, im just grumpy.
The Maddog

Postby Major Banter on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:59 pm

Instead of accepting the opinion of multiple experienced designers on Interlopers, you fight against it. Not a good idea.

It's also important to note that 'professional' according to the Oxford English Dictionary means:

"Of a person or persons: that engages in a specified occupation or activity for money or as a means of earning a living, rather than as a pastime. Contrasted with amateur."

Hollow is a professional, as he 'engages in a specific occupation (mapping) for money'. You and I do it as a pastime. That makes us amateurs with experience. To quote Wikipedia;

"An amateur [...] is generally considered a person attached to a particular pursuit, study, or science, without pay and often without formal training."
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ScarT on Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:06 pm

That sure as hell ain't how "professional" mappers or talented mappers make arches. Have fun working with that later. This is more like "how to mangle the Source engine".
ScarT

Postby The Maddog on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:20 pm

I'll mangle you in a minute...

@Major Banter
Thanks for quote
The Maddog

Postby ScarT on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:26 pm

I'll look forward to that ;)

Like other said. Voice over explaining what's going on and why would be perfect. I could imagine a lot of people wouldn't do it if there was no explaination to why it was a good idea :)
ScarT

Postby The Maddog on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:28 pm

Bleh i have baby screaming here... 25/8

I get SotaPoika to correct you about mangling the source engine with that arch method soon.
The Maddog

Postby Phott on Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:32 pm

The Maddog wrote:Bleh i have baby screaming here... 25/8

I get SotaPoika to correct you about mangling the source engine with that arch method soon.

Maybe you're simply not the person to be doing these tutorials. Frankly, I don't think they are even needed. Thanks to:
http://www.halfwit-2.com/?page=tutorials
http://www.interlopers.net/
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Main_Page

The list goes on and on and on and on.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:04 pm

The Maddog wrote:Saves me time from changing my description when i eventually become a professional mapper.

When/if you become a professional mapper (though your job title would more than likely say something more...professional-sounding), you won't even be making simple tutorials like these. You'd more than likely be making tutorials on far more elaborate things (like work flow), with good, comprehensive commentary to boot.

In regards to the tutorial:

Rwo very important things you could have pointed out with commentary are why you turned the arch in to a func_detail entity, and why you apply nodraw to the inner faces that aren't seen. If a novice mapper were to watch that video, they wouldn't understand anything. You didn't demonstrate how to apply textures to single faces, or what tool you were using to rotate the brushes in 90-degree increments. When I first started mapping, it took me half a year to realize I could apply textures to single faces rather than whole brushes, and I STILL manually rotate brushes since I never properly learned all the hot keys. But I got used to it and now I find it comfortable.

Of course, anyone with some hammer experience, but just isn't sure about the arch primitive will understand your tutorial. If they know what tools you're using, then it will be a cakewalk for them. I'd personally put your tutorial in the intermediate category due to its vagueness.

TL;DR
A professional tutorial targeted towards beginners should include every detail involved in the creation process, with quick, descriptive explanations for each of them. If you do that, then followers should have no trouble being successful after watching the tutorial once.

Anyway, keep it up. It's nice to see people making an effort with tutorials. You just have to realize it takes time to create a worth-while tutorial. You can't just record yourself doing something and expect it to work for everyone.

PS: A quick tip in case you didn't know; CTRL-C copies brushes and entities, and CTRL-V pastes them. Much faster than using the edit menu at the top.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby ScarT on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:12 pm

Even faster would be holding shift and dragging the brush to create a clone (goes for all entities).
ScarT

Postby Phott on Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:25 pm

ScarT wrote:Even faster would be holding shift and dragging the brush to create a clone (goes for all entities).

THIS
I love it.

Oh, and I also rotate brushes manually. I've been doing it since I first started several years ago. As long as the brush is aligned there's no problem with that, and I actually find it faster.
Phott
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Media