VTF photoshop not working?

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

VTF photoshop not working?

Postby stukabomber44 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:58 pm

Hey guys,

I have been using Paintshop Pro to get decals/textures into HL2. I recently got Photoshop and I tried to use the VTF plug in but it doesnt seem to work. I put the 2 files where they were to be put.

the VTFlib.dll goes into the C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)

and the VTF.8BI file goes here C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats

... any ideas??

Also, I'm wanting to use alpha channels to block on certain parts of a texture, how would I go about using that to my advantage? In paintshop pro I just used transparent background, just wondering if alpha channel can be used.

thanks for the help.

Sb44
stukabomber44
Regular
Regular

Re: VTF photoshop not working?

Postby TheDanishMaster on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:00 pm

Vtf photoshop plugin only works with 32-bit ....
Specs:
MSI P67A-GD55, Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600k @ 3,4GHz, Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz, 1TB HDD, NVidia GTX580 1,5GB GDDR5, Blu-Ray drive
TheDanishMaster
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby stukabomber44 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:50 pm

Ah okay, well I'll work around that.

I notice my texture's edges are always bright, even if the color is black. Any suggestion as to how to fix this?
stukabomber44
Regular
Regular

Postby Dives on Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:55 pm

Just go to the the channels tab, create new channel, paint your alpha there. Then save as TGA and convert it to VTF with VTFedit or the vtex.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby stukabomber44 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:06 pm

Good idea, thanks :)
stukabomber44
Regular
Regular

Postby nub on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:54 pm

The alpha channel works with the VTF plugin. I THINK if you just save it with a transparent background, it works as well. However, all the edge pixels get stretched to the image boarders and it looks weird without transparency.

Just be sure when you're saving to VTF format, to set the texture as "compressed with alpha" when the dialog box comes up. You can use "uncompressed with alpha" as well but the file size will be bigger. Save normal maps with the normal map preset (or normal map with alpha if necessary).

And yes, you absolutely must run Photoshop in 32-bit to use the plugin.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Return to Custom Asset Help