Wall Worm Sky Writer

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

Re: Wall Worm Sky Writer

Postby Gary on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:06 am

I can't see there being a difference. A skydome is just a textured 3D mesh, correct?
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby shawnolson on Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:41 pm

Gary wrote:I can't see there being a difference. A skydome is just a textured 3D mesh, correct?

That is what I would assume... but I got the impression from the previous posts there might have been some alternative (undocumented) "Sky Sphere".
Technical Artist for Black Mesa
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby Jangalomph on Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:57 pm

Sky domes can have animated/scrolling textures unlike a normal skybox.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Gary on Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:05 pm

jangalomph wrote:Sky domes can have animated/scrolling textures unlike a normal skybox.

Skydomes would just be an extension of skyboxes, correct?

You would put skydome models in the skybox. Or did I misunderstand how they work?

And we can have animated textures, just not as the sky texture. You would just make a mesh or plane and apply a texture(a simplistic skydome I suppose) inside the skybox.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby shawnolson on Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:20 am

@Gary... from my understanding of everything (which does not actually often include "EVERYTHING")... I think you are right. I may have confused the issue here by interpretting "skydome" as some alternative to skybox in earlier posts.
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby stoopdapoop on Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:01 am

they're not really an extension of skyboxes. They both have their pro's and con's.

Skyboxes can be viewed from any angle (as in, you can look down and see the sky if you want to) and are perfect when representing static things that are supposed to be super far away like stars, planets, and other things don't show any parallax when the player moves around the world. Also they can be easily implemented even in older hardware so they're super fast.

Skydomes lack a "down" but they're better suited for dynamic skies because they lack the projection issues that you have if you try to animate a texture around a skybox. If you try to translate a texture on a skybox, you can easily tell where the edges are because the pixels will suddenly appear to change direction when they reach the edge of a face. It's techincally possible to make a sky sphere that has a down direction, but you run into projection problems and you have to have a much higher resolution texture to sample from in order to have the same texel densities as you do with a skybox.

Another option is the "Sky Plane" but that's fallen out of style because it's incredibly ghetto. It made sense 15 years ago, but no longer.
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby shawnolson on Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:55 pm

stoopdapoop wrote:they're not really an extension of skyboxes. They both have their pro's and con's.

Makes me curious about examples for best practices to use the two in conjunction.
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby Jangalomph on Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:51 pm

Have a skybox making the normal "high res sky" and use a sky dome in 3d skybox to enhance it with "dynamic" cloud/shaders.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Previous

Return to Art Creation