Purchasing Model Applications.

Discuss the industry, development techniques and other general topics

Re: Purchasing Model Applications.

Postby nub on Tue May 22, 2012 11:54 pm

I have to agree that 3DS Max is one of the better programs. I was able to learn the basics much quicker than with other programs like Blender and Maya. It's just an all around great program to work with.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby MaK on Wed May 23, 2012 12:01 am

I'm going to hop aboard the 3ds max bandwagon as well. I like it and it's free, so why not try it out!
MaK

Postby Stormy on Wed May 23, 2012 12:10 am

The layers feature in 3ds max definitely sounds intriguing. would this allow you to say, add a cylinder, do a bunch of shit to it, and then later on drop the vert count in the cylinder? There has been a few times when modelling that I have thought that would be a neat feature, but I can't see how it would really work without limiting a range of other features.

Gary wrote:Blender

Finally it wasn't me who said that. But seriously, with varsity's SMD tools plugin, blender can do it all. For free. The fallback of blender is that it's not very well recognized in professional studios, so if you want to eventually work in a professional game development studio you shouldn't spend too much time learning it. As an indie you can use whatever you want. As for me I have no intentions of learning 3ds max since blender is capable of modelling for all the game engines I have worked with so far (source and UDK being the main contenders) so 3ds is out of the question.

And source-maps, in blender you hold shift to add to or subtract from the current selection. It makes perfect sense to me.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Gambini on Wed May 23, 2012 12:53 am

I have tried Blender a couple of times but it´s just so unorthodox and hippie that I didn´t even know where to start.

I have used both 3ds Max 7 and XSI modtool 6.01 and what i can say? I prefer XSI a millon times. It´s free, It´s fast and easy to use and I never needed those castrated features. Its workflow is much more intuitive than 3dsmax´s one. I only keep a cracked 3dsmax for Texporter which i use to export the uvmap sheet.

Just out of curiosity, gave a look to autodesk´s store. Hell! those packages are more expensive than two cars like mine put together!
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby source-maps on Wed May 23, 2012 10:55 am

Black_Stormy wrote:And source-maps, in blender you hold shift to add to or subtract from the current selection. It makes perfect sense to me.

to me it doesn't, I'm sure this is simply a preference but it's rather silly if you ask me

anyway, about the layer thing.. if you make changes with an edit_poly layer in 3ds, and if you would go back to the basic cylinder to remove a few edge loops, the edit_poly layer would probably fuck up.. so no

but there is tons of other benefits is has, the biggest one is that you don't work in a destructive manner
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Epifire on Wed May 23, 2012 6:19 pm

Gambini wrote:I have used both 3ds Max 7 and XSI modtool 6.01 and what i can say? I prefer XSI a millon times. It´s free, It´s fast and easy to use and I never needed those castrated features.

Just out of curiosity, gave a look to autodesk´s store. Hell! those packages are more expensive than two cars like mine put together!

Yeah see that is what I mean. I could pay for on of the new XSI packages (if I was really that insane) but it does not even work with Source plugins so I am screwed for modding that in a new package. I think you start to see my point in grabbing an old version. I guess I'll just have to look every where, I just really wish somebody here had some suggestions of software stores for old programs like what I am looking for.
Epifire

Postby source-maps on Wed May 23, 2012 8:26 pm

p..pp..pe..paying for software? people actually do that?
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby MrBlackspoon on Wed May 23, 2012 8:40 pm

source-maps wrote:p..pp..pe..paying for software? people actually do that?

A rare phenomenon that accures once in a while.
MrBlackspoon
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Epifire on Wed May 23, 2012 8:44 pm

Heh, yeah I certainly do. With no responsibilities yet, I can pool tons of money for even really expensive programs. I just have to make sure it is worth that much to me. I made it a habit to limit my stealing in the Thief games only. :lol:

Therefore I don't pirate programs. 8)
Epifire

Postby source-maps on Wed May 23, 2012 9:13 pm

if I would be Autodesk, I would just make EVERY piece of software I made.. free for non commercial usage

how would I have ever learned to use those tools when I was 16 if it wasn't freely available to me?

all I see it potential legal users in the future when they go and work for a company that does need to acquire the appropriate licences

seems pretty logical to me, is money really blinding the higher ups at those companies to make smart moves like these?
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Gary on Wed May 23, 2012 9:25 pm

That's exactly what I've thought, Source-maps.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Hollow on Wed May 23, 2012 11:48 pm

I think every 3D modelling program has it's strengths and weaknesses. So just use the one you find most comfortable. Ironically, the vast majority use Max though, especially in the industry. So when the time comes and you're ready to start applying for jobs, at least get familiar with its interface and toolset as it's likely the job in question requires it's usage. I wouldn't imagine you'd be penalized if you built up your portfolio through say using Blender. If you have the skill, then it's transferable.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby marks on Fri May 25, 2012 5:56 pm

Just torrent a copy, seriously. That's what eeeeverybody else does.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby WhiteDevil on Fri May 25, 2012 6:45 pm

yeah seriously, if you arent making money with it why use money for it in the first place?
i see no crime in learning to use something
WhiteDevil
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Dr. Delta on Sat May 26, 2012 9:41 am

I like 3ds max's modifier system.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development