VFX Demo Reel - 2012 - Jangalomph

Films, albums, random internet videos.

VFX Demo Reel - 2012 - Jangalomph

Postby Jangalomph on Fri May 25, 2012 2:29 pm

Finished my demo reel. Crits would be nice, but its a little late since I already emailed it to EA games. But enjoy it ^^.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Re: VFX Demo Reel - 2012 - Jangalomph

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Fri May 25, 2012 2:37 pm

mp5 = flamethrower
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ken Chan on Fri May 25, 2012 2:44 pm

Awesome.
Ken Chan
Regular
Regular

Postby PhoeniX1992 on Fri May 25, 2012 3:52 pm

The only guns with muzzleflashes that big I've seen IRL were the WW2 era Lee-Enfield and the M1 Garand. Almost no modern day smg or rifle gives of such a muzzle flash. It looks really cool ingame though! If they made guns realisticly in games, they wouldn't be fun to play.
PhoeniX1992
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby Gary on Fri May 25, 2012 4:07 pm

Very cool! While a little unrealistic in scale, it's still really pretty. And that is what matters.

PhoeniX1992 wrote:If they made guns realisticly in games, they wouldn't be fun to play.

This. Same goes with health/damage systems. A shot from an AK47 to the arm and now the player is on the ground screaming missing half of an arm.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Jangalomph on Fri May 25, 2012 5:16 pm

Thanks guys :D

I realize some things are out of scale etc. I'll get around to fixing them one day.
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Fri May 25, 2012 5:18 pm

games with a strong stealth element can benefit from realisticly portraying weapon damage. a poorly placed shot on an enemy could send him into screaming fits of agony, which could attract attention. also, of course, the player would die very quickly as a consequence of being discovered.

/off-topic
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Ark11 on Fri May 25, 2012 11:38 pm

Nice work, good luck on getting thejob. :smt023
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby source-maps on Fri May 25, 2012 11:47 pm

personally, the other side of the map the flamethrower has a nicer composition

image was shot with low settings tho, but you get the pic

I know you already cranked up the brightness of that part with flooded in it, but still very dark sometimes
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Smurftyours on Sat May 26, 2012 12:10 am

you know your opinion would probably correct considering you made the fucking map.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby PhoeniX1992 on Tue May 29, 2012 1:50 pm

Gary wrote:This. Same goes with health/damage systems. A shot from an AK47 to the arm and now the player is on the ground screaming missing half of an arm.

Well, an AK47 would probably do that IRL too, but that's because of the 7.62 ammo. Little hole for the entrance wound, big gaping hole where it leaves the body. Standard NATO 5.56 ammo leaves nothing more than a small hole as entrance and exit wound (usually).
PhoeniX1992
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby kkirspel on Wed May 30, 2012 2:34 am

Nice stuff. Like some have said, unrealistic at times, but then again its skill not realism you're trying to show off.

Crits I had about the video's structure though was it started out real nice showing environments with the effect as the focus point, but then later you start doing some more complex stuff like battle sequences with multiple particle effects and I'm not sure what I should be focusing on anymore. Wish you had stuck with more stuff like the beginning sequences. Not that progressing/climaxing to other stuff is bad though, just have to do it effectively.

One more thing was I liked the way you intro'd yourself in the beginning, with the static fade in/fade out. I wish, though, you had been consistent and did the same or similar on the outro, instead of the lame movie credits-style after the music awkwardly cuts off.

And lastly, this is probably nit-picking since you're not going after environmental artist... but even a small scene to show application for those effects you only showed in the viewer would have been nice.

Hope this helps. I'd really like to see an amended version if you do one. Presentation does go a long way.
Last edited by kkirspel on Wed May 30, 2012 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
The inspiration as to why I'm here: Adam Foster; Minerva. Great job man.
kkirspel
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Jangalomph on Wed May 30, 2012 2:38 am

I tried to throw together a scene in UDK. But i couldn't find a good enough recorder in time, and I didn't have enough assets to use to really make the particles seem like they are where they should be. And I had the Source particles edited by Xendrid from NMRIH for me.. and i had to go into shitty windows movie maker to finish the rest. Guess this is a prime example of why you dont procrastinate children!
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby kkirspel on Wed May 30, 2012 2:38 am

Were you on a deadline or something?
The inspiration as to why I'm here: Adam Foster; Minerva. Great job man.
kkirspel
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Jangalomph on Wed May 30, 2012 2:47 am

Yeah, I had to get it to EA games by a certain day.
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Next

Return to Media