Unreal Engine 4

Discuss the industry, development techniques and other general topics

Re: Unreal Engine 4

Postby MaK on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:39 am

This video excites me in ways I cannot describe. Even thought I haven't messed around in UE3 a lot I can really appreciate what Epic is doing, and how they keep pushing technology. I guess this is why I'm starting to model now since making original maps, especially in unreal, is becoming more and more difficult if you don't know how to model.

Also Gary, in the video they mentioned it was running on a single commercial graphics card.
MaK

Postby ScarT on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:39 am

Hollow wrote:What I noticed is that they've taken a lot from Unity's User Interface and input component system & applied it to theirs. Which is a good thing mind you, meaning it's much more straight forward. I loved that you could edit code and whilst in game , let it compile the solution and it updates the game with the applied changes in real time,

Can't wait to get my hands on it.

Everyone keeps saying that. Personally I say its inspired from Visual Studio if anything. That did tabbing and that kind of layout long before Unity was thought of.

Also

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articl ... -graphics/
So a single GTX 680 took over what three 580's did at GDC 2011. Impressive.
ScarT

Postby nub on Sat Jun 09, 2012 5:30 am

Some pretty incredible visuals there. I loved the look of the lava oozing down and filling up the little crevices in the chamber. Looked insanely cool. And the particle effects are beautiful.

If the engine won't be out for a long time, then that just means the standard in hardware will rise as it's being developed. If a 680 is able to run it well, then I imagine the engine will be pretty easy to run when it's actually out. Though, 16gb of RAM seems...a bit high. Then again, RAM is pretty cheap these days, so getting 16gb of it is actually not that difficult.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:23 am

The 16GB of RAM is probably just needed for development.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby kraid on Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:18 pm

The most impressive thing IMO is not the graphic in the demo but the new interface of the UE4 Toolset, no matter where the inspiration for it came from.
Finally they restructured it so that there are not hundreds of encapsulated sub menues with thousands of parameters in it.

Setting up your stuff in UE3 often feels more like a searching game then a configuration.
Having parameters with the same name in several of these sub menues doesn't make it easier, too.

I hope we don't have to wait very long for the integration of this concept into the free UDK.
I'm not talking about the engine features, just the UI design.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby SotaPoika on Sat Jun 09, 2012 6:07 pm

UE4 looks very impressive.. reasons to stay with Source, are really thinned out to maybe the ones, that are:

*It's what I manage quite okay
*Currently having a project on Source, so not much time to learn UDK or other newer and better tech
* Portfolio: http://sp0n3.carbonmade.com/
* No More Room In Hell - Level Designer
* Zombie Panic! Source - Level Designer
SotaPoika
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Gary on Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:47 pm

I do wonder if they will add this to the UDK.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Jangalomph on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Im sure they will eventually. You can have all of those particles currently with a license from APEX/Nvidia.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby DonPunch on Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:34 am

They will make it part of UDK after a 1st party game is realeased on it( and possibly even after a couple 3rd parties). They have to show the world whats possible before they let someone else use their tech.

Give it a year. Most of those changes arnt that impressive compared to UDK, but if what I saw means no more lightmass (or that crap Cascaded Shadow Maps) then Im sold. The realtime script editing was the part I was most impressed with.
DonPunch
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:22 pm

DonPunch wrote:They will make it part of UDK after a 1st party game is realeased on it( and possibly even after a couple 3rd parties). They have to show the world whats possible before they let someone else use their tech.

Give it a year. Most of those changes arnt that impressive compared to UDK, but if what I saw means no more lightmass (or that crap Cascaded Shadow Maps) then Im sold. The realtime script editing was the part I was most impressed with.

Yeah it uses Realtime GI, so no more lightmass.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby [Steve] on Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:38 am

the real-time compiling looked pretty cool, also the simulate feature was a nice alternative to pie
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Previous

Return to Game Development