Texturing contest with modest prize

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

Re: Texturing contest with modest prize

Postby pk_hunter on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:25 pm

No.
pk_hunter
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Dr. Delta on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:27 pm

Okay :(
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby TheDanishMaster on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:56 pm

Never been in a competition and I think this would be a good start, just one question. Am I allowed to use.. let's say Biohazard's deferred lighting mod? :3
Specs:
MSI P67A-GD55, Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600k @ 3,4GHz, Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz, 1TB HDD, NVidia GTX580 1,5GB GDDR5, Blu-Ray drive
TheDanishMaster
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby pk_hunter on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:46 pm

You can if you want, but I wouldn't bother. It's all about the textures, here.
pk_hunter
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby TheDanishMaster on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:51 pm

pk_hunter wrote:You can if you want, but I wouldn't bother. It's all about the textures, here.

Yeah I just messed around with it and figured that it would take too long, so I'll stick with the old lighting. Thanks for the answer anyways, someone else might use it
Specs:
MSI P67A-GD55, Intel Core i7 Sandy Bridge 2600k @ 3,4GHz, Corsair 8GB DDR3 1333MHz, 1TB HDD, NVidia GTX580 1,5GB GDDR5, Blu-Ray drive
TheDanishMaster
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Captain Terror on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:52 am

Epifire: So are you saying you kinda model the texture, printscrn it, and then paint that?
Captain Terror
Regular
Regular

Postby Epifire on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:22 pm

Captain Terror wrote:Epifire: So are you saying you kinda model the texture, printscrn it, and then paint that?

Well less primitive then print screening sir. See you can have a single texture angle set for a model that is only going to be seen from one side. It acts as a flat canvas that way. You put what you want to the model, and can even texture in detail for just that angle.

At least in XSI, I can generate Height maps, as well as gather ambient occlusion too so that I can get something to work with in GIMP or something when I am done. I actually tried my hand at a crate texture, but I kinda sucked at using GIMP for that so just rested at the result that I am not ready for this contest. :?
Epifire

Postby Captain Terror on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:08 pm

Wow, that is really cool! I've heard of people doing this in blender too if i'm not mistaken, where you can sorta paint the models on the fly, or is this something different? Intriguing tho nonetheless, picutures peeeze! =P
Captain Terror
Regular
Regular

Postby Dr. Delta on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:21 pm

Captain Terror wrote:Wow, that is really cool! I've heard of people doing this in blender too if i'm not mistaken, where you can sorta paint the models on the fly, or is this something different? Intriguing tho nonetheless, picutures peeeze! =P

There's a difference between baking a texture and painting on a 3d model in your viewport. All decent 3d editors allow you to bake 3d into 2d: ambient occlusion, normal map, bump map, etc.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Epifire on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:04 pm

Dr. Delta wrote:
Captain Terror wrote:Wow, that is really cool! I've heard of people doing this in blender too if i'm not mistaken, where you can sorta paint the models on the fly, or is this something different? Intriguing tho nonetheless, picutures peeeze! =P

There's a difference between baking a texture and painting on a 3d model in your viewport. All decent 3d editors allow you to bake 3d into 2d: ambient occlusion, normal map, bump map, etc.

Yeah don't know why, but the clean occlusion look on a really complex and cool looking model is like eye candy to me.
Epifire

Postby Naticus on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:51 pm

I'm woking on my submission and will post some WIP shots soon. The brush geometry on the bridge railing is creating some visual errors in game. The kind where it looks like triangles are shooting out of the brush into infinity. This problem only rears its head after building cubemaps. It appears to be limited to the posts that separate the curved portions of the rail. I'll post a screen shot of the issue tonight.
Naticus
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Gambini on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:59 pm

oh forgot about this contest. But I still want to take part. Well i have 13 days left.. so im surely gonna start two days before the deadline :D
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Naticus on Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:57 am

Here are a couple WIP screens. Have barely touched the lighting so far and there is a ton of tweaking to do with cubemaps and $envmaptint.

Naticus
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Naticus on Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:47 pm

FINAL

Here is my final version. Anyone may use the textures in the zip file for anything they might be working on. Please just credit me in the final work. There is a playable BSP file that will work in Episode 2. Let me know if you have any trouble loading it up. Two sheets of textures that I created are below the screen shots. The blocks and ventilation fan are animated. Thanks to Archie for hosting this competition!

http://www.natcarm.com/naticus_minicomp_entry.zip
Naticus
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Previous

Return to Art Creation