New 3D Skybox functions, Animated Textures... More

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

New 3D Skybox functions, Animated Textures... More

Postby shawnolson on Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:37 am

New video with latest Wall Worm. Demonstrates various functions of getting 3ds Max scene into Source... as I've devoted most of my time enhancing the level design functions in the last several months.

The sample scene from the video can be downloaded here if you want to use it to learn from (especially functions I sped past or ignored like the refract texture on the model or the WWMT settings for the phys prop). The file is simple and meant merely as a learning aide for WW functions. The file is in 3ds Max 2013 format.

The key features the video demonstrates:

• World Brushes
  • Brush Textures
  • Export 2d Sky texture
  • New Quick 3d Skybox functions (no more scaling of 3d Skybox)
  • Animated Textures (Image File List)
  • Scrolling Textures
  • Blend Textures

I skipped exporting the models since it's covered in various other WW videos.

Enjoy.

PS. Sorry in advance for offending anyone who gets irritated with me sharing WW/Max/Source news here. I know some people have gotten touchy about it... which I don't exactly understand.
Technical Artist for Black Mesa
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Re: New 3D Skybox functions, Animated Textures... More

Postby MaK on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:17 am

I don't get touchy. I use Wall Worm myself, and I find it darn handy.
MaK

Postby Hollow on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:33 am

I'm glad you post frequently about your updates, because it's a damn handy plugin for me that should be really useful for others too...So please keep us informed when you add new features :D
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Plague on Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:55 pm

shawnolson wrote:PS. Sorry in advance for offending anyone who gets irritated with me sharing WW/Max/Source news here. I know some people have gotten touchy about it... which I don't exactly understand.

Yeah, just ignore those guys.
Most of us appreciate the amazing work your doing.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby shawnolson on Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:36 pm

Thanks guys. I hope you get enjoyment out of the latest functions.

The 3D skybox function is one of the main features I wanted to get out there since it makes your 3d skybox part of your level rather than a time-consuming afterthought; and of course this finally demonstrates how to use IFL sequences which I've been asked to clarify (though the video just shows them in action... you can use the download to see how it is implemented).
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby nub on Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:55 pm

Really? There were seriously users here getting irritated because you were frequently updating and providing the Source community with great modding tools?

Sounds like those users need to pull their heads out of their asses.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Postby shawnolson on Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:08 am

nub wrote:Really? There were seriously users here getting irritated because you were frequently updating and providing the Source community with great modding tools?

Sounds like those users need to pull their heads out of their asses.

Well I have only gotten a few flaming emails over the last couple of years, but the majority have come after posting on here and have made me feel hesitant about posting here. Essentially, snide remarks about me being pretentious and a self-promoter. I'm not even denying the comments as I really do enjoy promoting WW (I'm biased, excited and proud of it!)... but at the same time I also know that for me it is all just a fun journey. I personally get great satisfaction out of making things that I enjoy using and that I know others enjoy... so I don't feel guilty about that at all. At the same time, I don't want to generate bad feelings.

The fact is that I know the majority of people who know of WW are very appreciative. And the anonymous hate mail is rare and not worth worrying about. I guess my hesitation here is that it seems to be from someone (or a few) that follow Interlopers based on references to Interlopers. And I certainly have no intent to offend people and step on anyone's toes. Another part of me simply doesn't understand the impetus for anyone to take the time to compose non-cunstructive and negative email... have I rubbed someone here the wrong way? Or hell... it could just be someone I know f%#@ing with me...?

Anyway, it's a non-issue that I shouldn't have even posted... but editing the first post would make the following comments seem like crazy talk :) So that's the story... but in the end it's really not that important. It hasn't stopped me from coming back anyway. I'm not naturally from the Internet generation even though I am enmeshed in it now... so my interaction and interpretation of internet culture isn't always perfect.

Hopefully you all enjoy the latest features. Please check out and try the 3d skybox functions! :) That's what's really important in this thread!
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby Stormy on Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:37 pm

I get exited when I see someone has posted in the art creation thread because I like seeing what models and stuff people are working on more than maps and such, and when it's a wall worm tools update it's a little disappointing for me because I'm not particularly interested in it. But no way is it "pretentious" or "self-promoting". How are you supposed to get the message out to the modding community if you aren't allowed to tell them it exists? Seems like whoever labelled it pretentious is somewhat that themselves. Dickheads.

I can see the use for the tools although I wouldn't use them myself. Keep doing it man.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby cra0kalo on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:19 am

Great job shawn once again
Cra0kalo
CG Artist/3D Animator
http://cra0kalo.com

Lead of Operation Reaper
http://projectreaper.com

Lead of the "Dark Alley" Project
http://alleyproject.net
cra0kalo
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:46 am

Black_Stormy wrote:I can see the use for the tools although I wouldn't use them myself. Keep doing it man.

Thanks for the encouragement.
cra0kalo wrote:Great job shawn once again

And thank you too.

#############

I did happen to add more Hammer-like methods of applying Displacements today that will let you create displacements on non-rectangular quads ... as well as updated the sewing functions. The non-rectangular quad support came from the help of the legendary Denis Trofimov on CG Society.
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby Sathor on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:22 pm

I really appreciate your work, although - besides testing them - I don't personally use them. I am so used to the system I set up for myself (shortcuts and BAT files) that I can't get into using the tool.

But I still think it is great work and Source modders can appreciate that someone still develops tools like these.
Sathor

Postby shawnolson on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:03 pm

Sathor wrote:I still think it is great work and Source modders can appreciate that someone still develops tools like these.

Thank you.

Sathor wrote:...I don't personally use them. I am so used to the system I set up for myself (shortcuts and BAT files) that I can't get into using the tool.

That's how I started out. But personally, I really hated creating bat files by hand (and QCs for props, etc). Which was a big impetus for me to start WW to begin with. For me, anything that requires no creativity and can be automated, should be automated... like making bat files.

Behind the scenes WW is using batch files to control all compiling as well. You might find it a little more useful when I get around to documenting the exact nature of what files are creates (SMDS, QCs, batch files, etc). For basic static props, prop physics, multi-skins, etc... it can all be done quickly straight out of Max. For more complex things like characters, etc, it's still helpful to create the base files (like a QC) that can simply be edited... and the batch file to compile is ready made and sitting next to it.
shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Postby shawnolson on Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:25 am

shawnolson
Regular
Regular

Return to Art Creation