How Profitable Are Indie Games?

Chat about serious topics and issues. Any flaming/de-railing will be deleted.

Re: How Profitable Are Indie Games?

Postby Epifire on Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:50 pm

This has been some good stuff to hear. I will likely be searching this out more in the future to go through the hows and whys of setting up and managing a small company too. Dang it's to bad Hourences didn't wright a book about that too.
Epifire

Postby marks on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:44 pm

Dear Esther's total development costs were in the £170k region I think. I believe they secured separate funding in the form of a loan or grant though to pay for the Source engine license. I remember Dan saying that after all the profits had been distributed out, there was about enough left over to fund a prototype of their next game. I'm reasonably sure both Rob and Dan made a fair wad of cash from it (as they should) but it doesn't sound like there was much left over after that. And this was one of the indie darling runaway-success stories...
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby Idolon on Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:20 am

Idolon

Postby Stormy on Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:52 pm

Great link and really good info. I feel a little let down though since they got 100k in prize money to fund it, but perhaps that means that a 100k loan is less prohibitive, provided you have a solid prototype and everything sorted out before quitting your job. My offer still stands for getting a 100k loan and working on a game full time for a year or two.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby SM Sith Lord on Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:18 pm

Good articles, thanks for the links. The IndieViddy service looks awesome. Takes WAY too much damn time to send emails and try to promote your stuff all day.
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Previous

Return to Serious Discussion