Animating A Swinging Chain?

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

Re: Animating A Swinging Chain?

Postby Epifire on Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:25 am

Thanks for all the pointers and help guys. And that video Mayhem, I thought I was the only one here who knew Kung Pow? You just became really cool in my book for that one.

While this whole chain construction is still on the back burner I will be keeping a lot of this in mind for when I start.
Epifire

Postby Stormy on Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:08 pm

I made a radgoll chain a while ago for Aura, it was really easy. Just don't try to make each link a separate ragdoll, that's far too expensive. I made it having every five links static, with a joint at the end. Similar to the ones in Oblivion. I still have the model, I can give it to you if you'd like.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Epifire on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:03 am

I still would like to make one myself at some point (just for the learning experience) but message me about that on steam some time when you find the time appropriate.
Epifire

Postby PhoeniX1992 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:33 am

Doesn't Dark Messiah of Might and Magic have ragdoll chains? And it's built on the Source engine... Might be worth looking at.
PhoeniX1992
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby WhiteDevil on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:58 pm

I did a chain model myself also a while back, pretty simple just like Black_Stormy said. Either do it with a whole chain with ragdoll or just one model with few links of chain and then link the models together with joints. Though I don't know if the physics get funky with source that way, I did it in UE2.
WhiteDevil
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Garrador on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Do env_wind (or whatever) affect jigglebones? If so, why animate the swinging, if physical factors can cause it, as it should be in any physics game.

Also, if you ever need a simply static animation of chain/rope swinging, you could record a simulation from the 3D package.
You click on Build or type
make (or some equivalent), and you are astonished, then mortified, as you realize that the whole world is being
recompiled and relinked!
- Scott Meyers
Garrador
Veteran
Veteran

Previous

Return to Art Creation