Create Map in Hammer for UT. Possible?

Discuss the industry, development techniques and other general topics

Create Map in Hammer for UT. Possible?

Postby Rakkerzero on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:20 pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to create a map in Hammer and then convert it somehow into a Unreal Tournament map?

Reason: I know how Hammer works, but i doesn't how UnrealED works. :(

I understand that game specific things probably won't work, but i would be very happy if only the level design/architecture can be converted.
Rakkerzero

Re: Create Map in Hammer for UT. Possible?

Postby Armageddon on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:43 pm

That's silly, learn UnrealED, it's just a lot harder.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Will_B on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:25 pm

Armageddon wrote:learn UnrealED, it's just a lot harder.

Perhaps from your own experience. UnrealED is very user friendly and far more flexible than hammer is, it's what you see is what you get, not what you see is a pile of shit.

In response to the original question, you can export brush geometry from hammer in .dxf format from the file menu. You can then open this up in something like 3ds max, and then export to be used in unreal as a static mesh. You can then convert that static mesh to a builderbrush, which you can then create a BSP/CSG chunk from. Only do it if you are desperate though, the results are messy. Take the time to learn basic CSG manipulation in Unreal, it will be well worth it.
Will_B
Regular
Regular

Postby Stormy on Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:53 pm

UDK > unity > warm socks on a cold day > human feces > triple murder suicide > source SDK

Take the time to learn UDK, it is the bees knees. Making something in hammer and then converting it to UDK is like extracting rotting organs form a toad carcass and trying to make perfume from it. Pants on head level retarded.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby DonPunch on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:06 am

To be honest with you, I went down this same road about 4 years ago with the UE. Learn how to model, then get into UDK.

Unless you have fresh assets, you wont get very far in udk. Sure you can do some tutorials on how to use it, and thats fine and all, but you wont be doing very much unless you have good content.
DonPunch
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby marks on Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:52 am

No. Just no.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby kraid on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:20 pm

Well... i also think working with bsp in Hammer is much easier and faster then doing this in UDK.
But since UDK relies a lot more on models, it doesn't matter that much since you won't use bsp for huge parts of a map anyway.

Ofc. there are possibilities to convert Hammer maps into something that is usable in UDK, but it either requires a lot of optimisation and editing or will be simply unoptimized stuff.

AFAIK there is no way to convert Source bsp into UDK bsp directly.

Even Wallworms mapping tool is only able to export vmf from 3dsMax, but cannot import it.
Otherwise you could import your existing map into 3dsMax and have at least less trouble to optimize it for UDK.

Not sure about Propper, since it's able to convert brush geometry to models too.
Not sure if it puts out uncompiled .smd which would be importable into 3D apps and how good and optimized the result will be.

However, to achive good results in UDK it's neccessary to learn modelling.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Return to Game Development