[Paid] Mapper for CSGO

Discuss the industry, development techniques and other general topics

[Paid] Mapper for CSGO

Postby civious on Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:00 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post or if it's even allowed however I haven't seen anything saying I can't post what I am about to say in this thread.

I am looking for an expert mapper to work with. I have a project which will involve 2 new maps. This is serious and the contract pays. Wanna bid? Shoot me an email @ civious@gmail.com

Details: I'm not going to give many upfront. However I will say that they will be de_ maps and will need to be created from scratch. I am also going to be interested in developing custom player models exclusively for these maps.

This is an excellent opportunity to advanced your portfolio. These maps will be heavily promoted as well. I am concerned for the future of Counter Strike and frankly it's time to step up the bar and get some new fresh top of the line maps out.

I look forward to hearing from some of you. Please include portfolio links in the email as well as xp.

Cheers, :smt039
Dustin

Note: If this thread happens to be in the wrong area please move it to the correct forum.
civious
Dumpling
Dumpling

Re: [Paid] Mapper for CSGO

Postby MaK on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:17 am

Believe it or not, adding in the paid part won't make any difference here. We've had plenty people posts like this before with similar offers and I've actually never seen one person take an offer. The main problem is that you're asking for a lot of work and are giving no real details. Secrecy about your project will only hurt your chances of people gaining interest. Then the custom player models is really just throwing it over the top for things to ask for. The worst part of all is you're not giving us any of your credentials. This is your first post and we don't know who you are. Who are YOU and what are you skills/talents, show us YOUR portfolio. No "expert mapper" is going to want to work with somebody who had no idea what they're talking about, or someone that just pays people to create their ideas rather than doing it themselves. You'd think that swarms people would going after your offer, but the truth is we're all rather busy people and probably have projects of our own, we have our own ideas too. Sorry about the rant, but this probably sums up most of the things that people are going to post in this thread.
MaK

Postby civious on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:55 am

MaK wrote:Believe it or not, adding in the paid part won't make any difference here. We've had plenty people posts like this before with similar offers and I've actually never seen one person take an offer. The main problem is that you're asking for a lot of work and are giving no real details. Secrecy about your project will only hurt your chances of people gaining interest. Then the custom player models is really just throwing it over the top for things to ask for. The worst part of all is you're not giving us any of your credentials. This is your first post and we don't know who you are. Who are YOU and what are you skills/talents, show us YOUR portfolio. No "expert mapper" is going to want to work with somebody who had no idea what they're talking about, or someone that just pays people to create their ideas rather than doing it themselves. You'd think that swarms people would going after your offer, but the truth is we're all rather busy people and probably have projects of our own, we have our own ideas too. Sorry about the rant, but this probably sums up most of the things that people are going to post in this thread.

If you want details all you have to do is send me an email. As for why I am not offering much information is because it is a project I don't want to expose to everyone. Shouldn't be a problem with that I would assume. I don't think custom player models is going overboard. I want some custom maps made and models for the maps. What credentials do you want? I am not a mapper. I am a potential client. If I wanted you to say build me a house you wouldn't ask me if I build houses would you? You would just want to know how much I am willing to pay and what I want. I understand that some maybe most of you are busy. I am also a busy person. I have hired alot of people to do alot of different things for me and I must admit trying to hire a mapper has been very interesting. You would think that getting paid and getting your portfolio stacked up a little would be enough but apparently not with mappers. If I hired a graphic designer to make me a logo he would probably ask me what I want then quote me a price. Why can't mappers do that too? I see no difference. I am simply requesting a service and if you don't want to accommodate that service simply type two words. Piss off.

Now with that said I am serious about this. If your interested shoot me an email. I'll give you a little info about what I am after and you quote me. I'll put down a deposit and we make it happen. That's usually how business takes place outside the mappers world.

Cheers,
Dustin
civious
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Stormy on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:13 am

I'm afraid you have the wrong community bud. Straining to hold my tongue so I'll give you the abridged version. We can't trust you. From that post you're likely 12 and have never worked on a project before. We have been burned by this kind of thing many times. Show us what you have achieved so we can better assess how successful this project will be. Because right now you are a textbook 12 year old ideas man from facepunch.

Good luck finding a mapper.

PS:
civious wrote:I don't think custom player models is going overboard.

That's the bit that gave you away ;)
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby MaK on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:23 am

I don't think I was coming off hostile in any way, I'm not quite sure where that "Piss off" came from.

The difference between hiring a graphic designer and a mapper, is what you're asking will literally take us months, if not more than a year of work with our schedules. One of the best looking (imo) CSGO map with custom assets in progress on this forum has been in development for 1 year and 2 months, all by one guy. Character modeling is a very specific (and difficult imo) type of modeling, I wouldn't expect for one person to know how to both model characters and map at the skill level you require. Also you might be surprised how pricey character models can be, plus I'm assuming you'd want 5-10 altogether? I don't want to say prices since I'm not a character modeler, nor have I ever asked to be paid to map, but it would be nice for somebody here to tell you exactly what kind of money you're dealing with because its probably more than you think.

That being said, as you assumed I wasn't interested in the offer. I was simply trying to help, I'll go now and leave the rest up to everybody else.
MaK

Postby civious on Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:47 am

Black_Stormy wrote:I'm afraid you have the wrong community bud. Straining to hold my tongue so I'll give you the abridged version. We can't trust you. From that post you're likely 12 and have never worked on a project before. We have been burned by this kind of thing many times. Show us what you have achieved so we can better assess how successful this project will be. Because right now you are a textbook 12 year old ideas man from facepunch.

Good luck finding a mapper.

PS:
civious wrote:I don't think custom player models is going overboard.

That's the bit that gave you away ;)

MaK wrote:I don't think I was coming off hostile in any way, I'm not quite sure where that "Piss off" came from.

The difference between hiring a graphic designer and a mapper, is what you're asking will literally take us months, if not more than a year of work with our schedules. One of the best looking (imo) CSGO map with custom assets in progress on this forum has been in development for 1 year and 2 months, all by one guy. Character modeling is a very specific (and difficult imo) type of modeling, I wouldn't expect for one person to know how to both model characters and map at the skill level you require. Also you might be surprised how pricey character models can be, plus I'm assuming you'd want 5-10 altogether? I don't want to say prices since I'm not a character modeler, but it would be nice for somebody to tell you exactly what kind of money you're dealing with here, because its a lot.

That being said, as you assumed I wasn't interested in the offer. I was simply trying to help, I'll go now and leave the rest up to everybody else.

All these assumptions. I am not 12. I can afford the request for service and I am aware of whats involved in making maps/models/skins or whatever you want to call it. Once again if I didn't know how to build a house that wouldn't stop the builder from building it. I would simply learn the process as it unfolds. I am not an idiot.

I never said anyone was rude? I just didn't understand the rant. A simple Piss Off lets me know your not interested. I take no offense. My forecast for completion was hopefully 12 months. If you can't model the characters I can find someone else.

I am not sure how much you guys charge since I have never requested such a service before. If I had to assume I would say $7500 per map? I was willing to supply a 40% retainer but now after all of this I think I'll shop somewhere else. All anyone interested had to do is shoot me an email. Then we could have possibly had a conversation via phone or skype to further discuss the project. :smt039
civious
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Stormy on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:11 am

I am actually the queen of Lithuania and I own a golden pp7. And even I can provide links to my past work on request, random internet person.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby srredfire on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:26 am

I'll make a map for $7,500.
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sathor on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:31 am

Ha, for 7500 Dollars I'd probably do it. That is like 6000 Euros, 500 Euros per month over 12 months, 40 hours per month.

Although seriously, you got a gmail adress, no company name. If you couldnt pay the first batch of money against screens and stuff after one month everyone would drop you.

This would be some kind of international contract, with a lot of insecurities.

I wouldn't go for something like that. But good look finding someone.

Ill rather work on my free map.
Sathor

Postby Hollow on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:23 am

Is there like a template question lying about somewhere of how not to advertise a proposition? Because this request is made almost every other month and always ends up in a trainwreck.

Also flaunting that you can offer up to $7500 without providing any solid evidence of your background (and pretty much what everyone else has already mentioned), won't entice anyone. It just makes you look unprofessional. If you're a reputable person you'd take it on the chin, cough up the details or move on.

Interlopers is an incredibly cynical & hard-nosed community. We've seen this thread type crash and burn hundreds of times, so you'll have to forgive us for being po-faced. But no one here was rude, childish language solidifies your status as someone not to trust.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby pk_hunter on Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:00 pm

Nonsense.
There's no way to make your money back from a CSGO map unless you could guarantee traffic to your site and that'd be a massive gamble for $15k, particularly since the Steam Workshop is pretty much the only viable hosting option for a new map to make it into the mainstream. Paid adverts in-map are against Valve's EULA so that's not an option, as is selling the maps directly.

I'm sorry, but I just don't buy that you'd be willing to spend that much because of 'concern for the future of Counter Strike' so either you have some underhand, potentially illegal money-making motive or you're talking out your arse.

Either present details or some sort of validity that'd support your claim or stop talking down to the community as if we're children. In your house-building similie, the builder wouldn't take the contract if the client couldn't prove they could pay it and that the land was legally zoned.
pk_hunter
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Hollow on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Extremely well put Hunter. I didn't even consider looking at it from that angle, and the legal implications of this now. Considering that the community has the workshop to reach a unified broad audience for their work via steam (rendering hosting it on forums/mapping sites pointless), any potential alternative route to generate money off the maps is totally nonviable.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby Major Banter on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:01 pm

I will never understand how these requests intend to recoup costs. I really don't. Probably because they have no intention of doing so.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dr. Delta on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:21 pm

$7,500 for eternal CS:GO community fame, not bad.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby nub on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:09 pm

Major Banter wrote:I will never understand how these requests intend to recoup costs. I really don't. Probably because they have no intention of doing so.

In my honest opinion, this is the biggest glaring issue here. You're willing to spend at least $7,500 per map (as far as we know), but there's absolutely no way you're going to make that kind of money back from these maps. Not in the Source modding community, let alone the Counter-Strike community. Therefore, it's pretty hard to believe that this is a legitimate offer. I won't try and bash you or anything since others are doing that already, but even if you ARE 100% serious about this, you ought to take some of the info in this thread in to consideration the next time you decide to post a job offering on some other forum. The Interlopers community is completely blunt about things, but it's also surprisingly informative and helpful. You can learn a ton of useful things here about the game industry since some of the users actually work in it. It's part of why I love this place.

PS: Black_Stromy wasn't literally calling you a twelve year old. He was saying that due to the lack of information on this project and your credentials, most modders are going to perceive you as a twelve year old, or worse, an "ideas guy." Google that last term if you aren't familiar with it.
nub
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Game Development