Mist of Stagnation

Discuss the industry, development techniques and other general topics

Re: Mist of Stagnation

Postby Smurftyours on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:06 am

I just noticed something about your sniper and was wondering if you could answer the question.

Why is it that if your sniper design uses rotating chamber to hold it bullets, but then somehow magically ejects the casings. If it follows any sense of realism wouldn't that be impossible due to the fact that the bullet casing wouldn't be able to eject from the sniper rifle until it split back open for reloading?

Also I cant understand why it would be leaver action, it just doesn't make sense since the action of the sniper is like a revolver and nothing like what a conventional leaver-action action is like. It makes me wonder if any of you guys even noticed that this weapon is comically impossible unless magic is behind its workings.

Usually I wouldn't notice things like this (which admittedly I looked completely over this the first time I saw it), but this just shows a lack of thought when you were designing this weapon. It doesn't adhere to any form of reality and excusing it as the style would be a very inadequate solution to a pretty obvious lapse in design.

I hope you guys already noticed this.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby DonPunch on Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:23 am

It has nothing to do with weapon design, if anything all of our weapons have a ton of thought put into them as we pride ourself's on 'practical steampunk'.

It was just an oversight by the animator which was quickly fixed, but the recording never got changed since it didnt really change except for a deleted mesh.
DonPunch
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Smurftyours on Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Has the animation changed much besides that, because if not then the action isn't working correctly. The firing hammer should pull back on each pull of the lever and then release forward with the shot. In your's it just kinda sits there in the middle and the moves forward when fired.
jangalomph wrote:Wise words from a wise man. ^
Smurftyours

Postby Plague on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:25 pm

DonPunch wrote:It has nothing to do with weapon design, if anything all of our weapons have a ton of thought put into them as we pride ourself's on 'practical steampunk'.

It was just an oversight by the animator which was quickly fixed, but the recording never got changed since it didnt really change except for a deleted mesh.

Are you guys spinning the cylinder with a lever-action and then using a double-action trigger for the rifle?
You could just replace the exposed hammer with a concealed hammer and then have the lever action both spin the cylinder and cock the hammer, which would make sense for a long range rifle.

But then idk if you could even do a lever-action cylinder spin with a top-break loading design, which is also a potential weakness when your firing high powered rifle rounds.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby DonPunch on Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:04 am

WIP Box art

DonPunch
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Epifire on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:08 am

That pretty good. Did you ever think about having a view where you are sorta looking up from ground level having their legs more in the foreground that way? I guess I am thinking of a classic action pose seeing those two guys farthest forward in the picture and could imagine them being sorta framed like that. Then you get one of those big guys in the background with some airships in the sky or something.

Very nice either way, just some suggestions.
Epifire

Postby Spike on Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:30 am

tHIS LOOKS AWESOME
Spike
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby DonPunch on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:05 am

Epifire wrote:That pretty good. Did you ever think about having a view where you are sorta looking up from ground level having their legs more in the foreground that way? I guess I am thinking of a classic action pose seeing those two guys farthest forward in the picture and could imagine them being sorta framed like that. Then you get one of those big guys in the background with some airships in the sky or something.

Very nice either way, just some suggestions.

yeah, it was considered, and there will be more of these i'm sure.

Here is the mood sheet we started with

DonPunch
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Epifire on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:14 am

Interesting sheet there. You know when I look at that box art you have there I could see that being a really good scene for the backside of the game too, maybe mask it over with some boarders but it's rather equal focus makes it suitable for the backside of a case I think.
Epifire

Postby DonPunch on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:55 am

Physical media is dead, Box Art is just a term used loosely to describe the "Title Shot"
DonPunch
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Epifire on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:33 am

DonPunch wrote:Physical media is dead, Box Art is just a term used loosely to describe the "Title Shot"

Well if you ever make a guide or manual then put that on it. :P
Epifire

Postby DonPunch on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:06 am

:smt023 I like that way you think
DonPunch
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Plague on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:54 pm

I feel like 2 and 3 in your mood sheet have some more interesting potential.
Depending on the sort of conflict you could represent it as an honorable/passive(relative) war(2) or a very active, engaging one(3).

Always neat stuff.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Stormy on Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:40 am

I agree with plague, I think the commander mech is posed very rigidly in the final, I think 1 or 3 had better dynamism and better reading composition. The colours are all kind of muddled in that WIP image. Although I am a sucker for extremely simplistic design and easy reading stuff.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby DonPunch on Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:42 am

Good feedback. I liked them all, but ultimately decided to go with that one (obviously).

Here is some media from our latest map. Concept and mood sheet. In game shots to come over the next weeks.

DonPunch
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

PreviousNext

Return to Game Development