WIP_Bridge_Handrails_(full bridge)

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

WIP_Bridge_Handrails_(full bridge)

Postby plagueofburia on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:26 am

I did not want to make a new topic, as I was getting help in the other forum, though I feel I may have been posting in the wrong area, maybe I haven't. Seems the other forum is for showing complete models I am not sure. I need a place where I can ask questions, and possibly get answers, sorry.

Okay I have been trying to create handrails for a bridge, I recently unwrapped and got a texture kind of working but now I am having difficultly.

I have noticed something by reversing the UV's on the left side of the model. I done this to move some painted shadows I had done at one side, it will look very odd if I don't do reverse the UV's. And now the shadows that are baked from the AO is in the wrong place(these are not my shadows they are from an AO image when I exported it from blender.)

How can I fix this? do I split the model up in to 2 so there will be a left and a right side. In doing so, on the other side of the bridge there will be another left and right, so 4 models just for the rails or do I delete the shadows.

What would be the best way to do this model? or the best way to split the model?

To split the model, I would think to copy the model delete one half and work on the texture for the other half.

Any advice.

Any questions I have regarding Bridge handrails, I hope it is possible to use this thread instead of troubling the other forum.

Thanks
Last edited by plagueofburia on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Re: Bridge_Handrail_model _questions

Postby Jangalomph on Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:26 am

This is more of the correct place to ask. You should try to title it better next time. Any ways, some one proceed to help this tremendously dedicated loper solve his never ending problems. :wink:
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Re: Bridge_Handrail_model _questions

Postby Epifire on Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:06 am

Well since you feel entitled to make your own thread, I would make it a WIP on your rail-prop so that people can help you out in questions and all but you can also update things and get help along the way.

What I am seeing here looks to be (if I'm not mistaken) an issue with the left side not being mirrored correctly. Well at least as far as your texture is concerned. If this is the case and if Blender has symmetrical duplication tools, you very well should be able to mirror that right side onto the left with it. Should work in a similar fashion as XSI but you could delete the left side and then duplicate the right, mirrored over to the left so that it can preserve your correct UV's. After that you could merge your two objects down into one, etc.

In the end all that should happen is that one half of your object inverts the direction of UVs (in a manner of speaking). Would need to call out Stormy where ever he is to confirm this in Blender but that's how I would overcome that in XSI.
Epifire

Re: WIP_Bridge_Handrails_

Postby plagueofburia on Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi, thanks I changed the title to WIP to better explain the thread.

I am grateful for all the help/replies and even if I do not take the advice given on some occasions, everything helps with the thought process.

Epifire thanks for the lengthy reply. I might not have explained it properly, I used the word reversed UV's but a better word would be I rotated the UV's and I have a new picture to explain what has happened.

I hope that explains a little better.

The painted shadow gives the illusion that the model is darker on the outside edges the left and right sides. The sides facing inside to the player is lighter, has no shadows. I had to rotate the left hand side of the UV's to get the shadows on the outside.

By doing that I have moved the shadows where the handlesare. These shadows were baked in blender.

I think the only way is to split the model up so I can keep the painted shadows on the outside that I made in PS. Rotating the UV's I thought would be a god idea but it is not.

Epifire I might try copying one side and mirroring the UVs but I don't think that will work. Because the shadows(those little black squares) created from the handles under the handrail AO from blender are not symmetrically placed. I don't think it is possible to mirror.

I don't see any other way apart from splitting the model and using the same texture sheet I have for both. Though I will have to edit the left side, it is really long and frustrating that all these problems happen, just for a single handrail.
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby plagueofburia on Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:25 pm

Okay I split the model into 2 I thought it would be more time consuming but all I done was edit where the shadows were placed.

Left handrails_left side

Left handrails_rightside

Now I need to do right_handrails_leftside and right handrails_rightside
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby plagueofburia on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:13 pm

I have put the other handrails on hold as I am now working on the loose and destroyed parts of the handrails. Would it be best to set up a reference sheet and have models reference the sheet. I would not know how to do that. Or should I create a texture for each object?

I am more inclined to do the the 2nd option

What texture size would be good for these loose handrail parts. Dimensions regarding length are from the smallest 16 units(highlighted)- to 256 unit handrail.

plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby plagueofburia on Sun Jun 09, 2013 3:15 pm

I need to work fast in the time I have as I won't have time soon.
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby plagueofburia on Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:32 pm

I have all the parts, handrails and handles textured both sides. Also various loose parts various broken parts, 2xcorners and so on. There are a fair few parts and some reuse the same textures.

What does one think about the blue-ish type colour of the handrails? Should I have made it a more grey colour? The rust is in strange places but for what it is suppose to be I thought it would be okay, maybe I should get rid of the rust? Or add more rust?

What would one suggest now to do.

Any advice what to do next would be appreciated.
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby plagueofburia on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:47 pm

I added a lot of rust to one side but it looks strange. Does it look strange to you or is it okay, or should I delete the rust?

I am not sure about the whole texture now :(

plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby Epifire on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:17 am

I think that rust actually isn't too bad for it. However, with that same rust color and style, make sure to put it around adjoining areas where water would commonly collect (around the supports, on the supports, etc). Otherwise not looking too bad if you ask me.
Epifire

Postby plagueofburia on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:30 pm

Thanks Epifire.

Update-

I decided to reduced the amount of dirt/rust, does this work better?

Does the blue-ish colour of the handrails work with the dirt/rust? I kept the loose parts more or less dirt free, I tried dirt/rust did not work very well.

What does one think the next step should be?
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby Epifire on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:42 am

Now when you say, loose parts are you talking about busted pieces aside from the actual whole prop? Cause if so adding the whole rust thing to exposed edges would be a good idea.

Oh and on a separate note one thing that can also do a bit of good for blending the prop into the surrounding environment could be getting a wall mark decal made. It's a pretty simple process and since we don't get ambient occlusion in Source, this adds as an alternate blending option... https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Decals

Only other thing I can add is that rust along seams (or areas where you would think pipe was welded together). That and of course making the supports rusty too cause I imagine they would collect a good deal of moisture too. The decals would work really well right where the supports join to the wall. Rust particles could be dried to the wall that came off of the supports looking something like this...

If that's the direction you wanna go with how it looks, that's what I would suggest.
Epifire

Postby Armageddon on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:00 am

You are spending way too much time on a prop people aren't even going to glance at.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Epifire on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:06 am

With your first couple models it takes a while to get the hang of things. At least he's taking the time to do a good job so cut him some slack dude.
Epifire

Postby plagueofburia on Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:52 am

I added and placed some rust/dirt it is not perfect there are a few issues with some of the seams on the handrail but overall for my second group of models it should be okay. I say group of models because there are also loose parts that I needed to make in addition to the handrails.

Handrails with dirt/rust

underpart of handrails with rust/dirt

I took your advice Epifire and added some rust to the broken loose parts. Some loose parts with dirt/rust not all loose parts will contain rust/dirt

The decal idea will be a good idea to place under the handrails, I have to see how the handrails look on the brush based hammer bridge. I have little experience at making decals so I will have to set aside sometime to create some decals.

Armageddon- While this is true and I appreciate the incentive to get things finished. I have spent an inordinate amount of time on these stair rails. And perhaps no one will take notice. I think the underlining problem of spending a long time on something that is not mapping is that one can lose focus on the actual map these are for. Overall I have not been mapping for a while at the expense of creating models for my map.

Why would someone do this?

The answer for me is I want to create a level that will be believable and unique. In order to create a level with character I need unique objects that will define my level. My level, needs certain objects, while Halflife 2 episode 1,2, even Black Mesa has many objects. I still need to create props specific for my needs. While these props I am working on may not seem important they are necessary for my level to be unique.

Thanks Epifire- In response to Armageddon, regarding to what I create I want to be as good as I can do. And as I am new to this it is taking a long time. The thing is my map is finished in the basic blocking out more or less. It is very large and will take a long to to texture the level. It seems I can always think of more props I would like, so mapping seems to be put on hold.

I have a question Blender has 2 shading modes smooth and flat does this matter when I export the model?

Is the next step to create the collision mesh? how simple should the collision mesh be for the handrails and the other objects including the loose parts?

I am not sure when I need to create the QC file?
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Custom Asset Help