Source SDK 2013 Released

Comment on the news articles here.

Source SDK 2013 Released

Postby ad_hominem on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:01 am

Welcome to your bi-yearly news update! Source SDK 2013 has arrived unexpectedly, and it brings with it some new and strange times. Read below:

We have released an update to the Source SDK, bringing support for Mac OS X and Linux to mod developers and exposing the ability for virtual reality support in your mod. The biggest change with this update is that we are using github to host the source code. You will find the code here. This Source SDK 2013 release also includes a new license that can be found here. This new license allows mod authors to share their changes to the SDK more easily.

The other change with the Source SDK is that now Hammer and the other mod tools ship with their respective games instead of as part of the SDK Launcher. The launcher itself is being phased out, so it will disappear from your Tools list. You can find information about how to run the tools from the games here.

The source for this new SDK release includes the latest code for all the included games, and has many new features:
• The games now build and run clients on Windows, OSX, and Linux. Dedicated servers are supported on Windows and Linux.
• Steam Pipe (the new Steam content delivery system) is supported by the sample mods. Existing mods can change their gameinfo.txt to match the new format and gain Steam Pipe support.
• Support for Virtual Reality via the Oculus Rift has been added to the SDK. Running a compatible mod with -vr on the command line will run the mod in stereo and enable head tracking on the Rift.

You can find instructions on getting started with the new Source SDK 2013 on the Valve Developer Community wiki.

So there you have it. Happy modding!
ad_hominem
Monothetic
Monothetic

Re: Source SDK 2013 Released

Postby Armageddon on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:02 am

So excited. Wish they had made ASW cross platform because now I have to revert Keys to a lower engine branch. :(
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Kosire on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:14 am

holy shit, a big SDK update. :[]:

Funny that they need to say it's "Source 1".
Source 2 is coming guys!
Last edited by Kosire on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:16 am

Yeah it would have been nice to see asw get support for mac.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby Epifire on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:18 am

I somehow expected this with all the work in Steampipe coming around. Wonder if there are any other fixes in the features... Only one way to find out I guess.
Epifire

Postby Botolf on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:50 am

Is there a compelling reason to switch from deferred asw to this? OR/Mac/Linux support is compelling, but what about the base engine?
Botolf
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:51 am

We get any new engines? Like post ASW? I'll have to download tonight.

This is really awesome though. A real update!
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Spazzo on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:58 am

Seems like it's just a more updated version of OB - so none of the improvements seen in CSGO/Portal 2. Just the VR stuff from TF2.
So the biggest gain is any mods that build on this is that they'll be playable on osx/linux.
Last edited by Spazzo on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spazzo
Just Joined
Just Joined

Postby Gambini on Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:59 am

Finally parallax mapping and multiple projected textures are supported. Though, some options seem to be disabled for directx9 users and have to be enabled by editing the cfg file.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Gary on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:08 am

Gambini wrote:Finally parallax mapping and multiple projected textures are supported.

What? Where did you hear that? And who cares if multiple PTs are allowed, it looks like the same shit version of the shadowmgr from 2007 is there(EDIT: Correction, line 3815 was changed) . Meaning it's likely this is the same crappy OrangeBox engine. Though, I haven't tested anything yet since I can't download it until tonight. But I'm looking through the repo right now.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Gambini on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:20 am

I was trolling, sorry. Won´t happen again :)

Seriously though. HL2 and AFAIK Source 2007 Base have changes, bad changes. They still seem to run from the old steamapps/useraccount folder but now things like color correction and high quality shadows can´t be enabled (at least not with directX9) and guess what: projected textures have no shadows or color, like the old HL2 flashlight.
Gambini
Sir Post-a-lot
Sir Post-a-lot

Postby Gary on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:26 am

Oh, I was just looking at it. Looks like it might use the newer engine, even if it uses the older SDK code. Which means we'd be using the engine version HL2/EPs were updated to a while back. Which I think might be decent.

I probably should shut up though until I actually test it. lol

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Botolf on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:29 am

The test mods run off of what appears to be a newly-minted Source 2013 SDK Base (steamid 243730 for SP), but I'm still compiling this stuff so I'm not sure.
Botolf
Regular
Regular

Postby trepid_jon on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:45 am

*EDIT* of course, as I posted this, the apps became available

source sdk base 2013 apps aren't released yet so you can't run mods for now

steam://install/243730 (singleplayer base app)
steam://install/243750 (multiplayer base app)

trepid_jon
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Botolf on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:49 am

Per the instructions, I think the point is to compile the base yourself, but I'm hung up on two missing includes: afxwin.h and atlbase.h.

Or not, Base just showed up after I restarted Steam.
Botolf
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Site News