Source SDK 2013 Released

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Source SDK 2013 Released

Postby ScarT on Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:49 pm

The Alien Swarm branch of Source is unsupported. People with the engine license are generally recommended not to touch it at all. It is most likely it will never be updated again.

What they released is Source 2009 that Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress 2 is running on.

As for the shader stuff. I'll look into it, I can't say anything about it now, I've only just looked at the general code.
ScarT

Source SDK 2007 <-> Source SDK 2013 (MP) Diff

Postby vektorx4 on Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:21 pm

For anyone who's curious about what exactly has changed since Source SDK 2007, I've managed to generate a diff between the latest released version of the 2007 SDK against the new 2013 SDK (MP code only). There was initially a lot of extra 'noise' since virtually every single file was detected as changed - this was due to Valve replacing the header comments in all files. So after spending close to six hours filtering out changes of that nature, I finally managed to get some useful output.

Summaries (filenames only):
Changed Files (binaries)
Changed Files (text) - Use this to quickly index the diffs for changes specific to a given file, since scrolling through it might be fairly laggy at times.
File Removals
File Additions
Unchanged* Files

Detailed git diff output (packaged with the above summaries in text form):
Here

Statistics (post noise reduction):
Code: Select all
Changed files (binaries): 17
Changed files (text): 1465
Files removed: 423
Files added: 851
Unchanged* files: 1349
*Unchanged includes the files whose header comments were modified to reduce the amount of noise output. Naturally, files that contain both modified header comments and actual code changes are not considered to be unchanged.

Hope you guys will find these to be of use.

Edit:
Oh, and this caught my eye (/mp/src/common/GameUI/IGameUI.h):
   virtual void OnConfirmQuit( void ) = 0;

virtual bool IsMainMenuVisible( void ) = 0;

// Client DLL is providing us with a panel that it wants to replace the main menu with
   virtual void SetMainMenuOverride( vgui::VPANEL panel ) = 0;
   // Client DLL is telling us that a main menu command was issued, probably from its custom main menu panel
   virtual void SendMainMenuCommand( const char *pszCommand ) = 0;
Anyone? :P
vektorx4
Just Joined
Just Joined

Re: Source SDK 2007 <-> Source SDK 2013 (MP) Diff

Postby Ackart on Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:48 pm

vektorx4 wrote:Summaries (filenames only):
Changed Files (binaries)
Changed Files (text) - Use this to quickly index the diffs for changes specific to a given file, since scrolling through it might be fairly laggy at times.
File Removals
File Additions
Unchanged* Files

Detailed git diff output (packaged with the above summaries in text form):
Here

Awesome work Vector, thanks. :)

I'm currently trying to port over the DoF shaders from Alien Swarm to the new base and everything is looking promising so far. Something I've noticed is that we now have render pipelines for SSAO and what appears to be engine support for fastpath, just nothing implemented in the code base we received. The projects are also set up to include a /nextbot/ folder which is, sadly, absent. :(
Ackart

Postby ErikKiller on Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:54 pm

wereMole wrote:So this is what moved HL2 to common instead of the username folder?

Also I cannot run Steam through SDK anymore, but using the direct .exe in the bin works...

What is going on?

That's the SteamPipe SourceSDK 2013 update my friend.
HL2 and episodes are now in common/half-life 2 folder and you launch Hammer from the half-life 2/bin after which you can choose the game you want to work on.

So, let's play a fun game of "How fucked is your Hammer?"!
3D textured looks a bit dodgy for me, some transparent models losing the transparency and gaining a dark grey/black box. Models in the 2D views have purple-black textures. Alpha on my displacements is inverted in Hammer but correct in the game, makes texturing a pain.
Luckily my Hammer still works although it's super annoying.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby greenman on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:14 pm

ErikKiller wrote:
wereMole wrote:...

So, let's play a fun game of "How fucked is your Hammer?"!
3D textured looks a bit dodgy for me, some transparent models losing the transparency and gaining a dark grey/black box. Models in the 2D views have purple-black textures. Alpha on my displacements is inverted in Hammer but correct in the game, makes texturing a pain.

I thought it was just me, thankfully I can still use the SDK launcher for now so my maps aren't messed up with this new SDK (Or at least appear to be messed up in hammer)
greenman
Regular
Regular

Postby wereMole on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:32 pm

ErikKiller wrote:So, let's play a fun game of "How fucked is your Hammer?"!

Yeah, I have some of those as well. The models in hammer look very low-res and the Alpha of my displacement is indeed inverted (I'm not sure which is the good one. The one in hammer or the in-game displacement). I just swapped the textures in the VMT and now its alright again (custom blend).
wereMole
Regular
Regular

Postby ErikKiller on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:33 pm

greenman wrote:I thought it was just me, thankfully I can still use the SDK launcher for now so my maps aren't messed up with this new SDK (Or at least appear to be messed up in hammer)

Already made the switch since they're trying to phase out the SDK launcher.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby greenman on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Ye I know they're planning to phase out the launcher, just hoping they fix it before they do.
greenman
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:01 am

Ackart wrote:I'm currently trying to port over the DoF shaders from Alien Swarm to the new base and everything is looking promising so far. Something I've noticed is that we now have render pipelines for SSAO and what appears to be engine support for fastpath, just nothing implemented in the code base we received.

Fastpath will be very useful. Since it basically makes some models free to render.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Jangalomph on Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:54 am

Is it possible to make fastpath work? and how are you guys implementing the shaders?
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Ackart on Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:38 am

I'm going to try and see if I can get fastpath to function tonight using code from the Alien Swarm SDK.

A fun little discovery I had today: The player model prediction for HL2MP is missing in SDK2013, making any third person animations a janky mess. Porting over the prediction from the old SDK should be trivial, just time consuming. Also I can't seem to run Hammer with my mod, the BAT file just spits out an error.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Source SDK Base 2013 Multiplayer\b
in>hammer.bat
\steam\steamapps\sourcemods\hlss2013 was unexpected at this time.

It doesn't seem to like any file paths that don't lead to the common folder, from what I've seen.
Ackart

Postby Gary on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:14 am

Looks easy enough to move over. I'm looking forward to seeing if it actually works.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Dman757 on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:39 am

vektorx4 wrote:Edit:
Oh, and this caught my eye (/mp/src/common/GameUI/IGameUI.h):
   virtual void OnConfirmQuit( void ) = 0;

virtual bool IsMainMenuVisible( void ) = 0;

// Client DLL is providing us with a panel that it wants to replace the main menu with
   virtual void SetMainMenuOverride( vgui::VPANEL panel ) = 0;
   // Client DLL is telling us that a main menu command was issued, probably from its custom main menu panel
   virtual void SendMainMenuCommand( const char *pszCommand ) = 0;
Anyone? :P
Custom main menu support. 2007 Was buggy didn't really support it. We had to implement it our selves so we could get animated textures working for our menu buttons and even then had some issues with the custom menu panels for NMRiH.

Anyway, I mainly wanted to chime in and say a large reason for this update was SteamPipe and Mac/Linux support. So if you have a source mod you ever plan on getting greenlit or putting on steam I suggest porting. 2007 doesn't get along well with steampipe. Valve just flat out told us we need to switch No More Room in Hell and "you are going to be the test case." So we'll see where we end up...

Oh and we just asked about the shader support so I'll report back if I get any news.
Dman757
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby Botolf on Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:57 am

Dman757 wrote:Oh and we just asked about the shader support so I'll report back if I get any news.

Thanks, I know I'm certainly wondering about this. Need these Deferred sexies or else it's all for naught :cry:
Botolf
Regular
Regular

Postby RefaelBA on Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:08 pm

Wow, stereo mode is so awesome. Really glad about this!
Do you think this enables stereography on Source Filmmaker?
RefaelBA

PreviousNext

Return to Site News