Source SDK 2013 Released

Comment on the news articles here.

Re: Source SDK 2013 Released

Postby wereMole on Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:13 pm

I'll leave that for what it is. I have a more annoying problem at the moment with Propper. It just gives a compile error that windows denied access to it. I have tried running it from the old username location in steamapps and from the common directory, both the half-life 2 and the Source SDK 2013 Single Player bins. All of the attempts resulting in an error while before Source SDK 2013 it worked fine.

It appears that I've only gotten the Steampipe update when I installed Source SDK 2013. Is this not possible...? Most problems have risen from everything being swapped to the common folder.
wereMole
Regular
Regular

Postby SM Sith Lord on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:05 pm

I'm real excited about this news of this new Source SDK.

Has anybody tried to implement Biohazard's deferred rendering stuff into it? I'm making a mod I plan to release on Steam so I want to use the current Source engine build. It would be great to still be able to have the deferred lighting.
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Armageddon on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:18 pm

Good luck getting a Source license to put it on Steam. And making a total conversion.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Kosire on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:03 pm

Armageddon wrote:Good luck getting a Source license to put it on Steam. And making a total conversion.

???
Kosire
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby source-maps on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:17 pm

it was pretty clear what he said, he was being an unnecessary cynical realist
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Hollow on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:19 pm

SM Sith Lord wrote:Has anybody tried to implement Biohazard's deferred rendering stuff into it? I'm making a mod I plan to release on Steam so I want to use the current Source engine build. It would be great to still be able to have the deferred lighting.

I don't think this is honestly going to be feasible unless Biohazard himself bothers to do it. There just simply isn't enough dedicated hardcore Source programmers who can be arsed. It would be quicker porting all your hl2 related code over to Alien Swarm deferred instead of chipping away for the best part of a year. Not that I'm trying to dishearten you guys, but any time an update appears, everybody swoons at the possibility of getting deferred in bog-standard Source.

You have 3 viable options, Make do with what you have, switch and slug it out getting code to work in swarm (what we've done), or wait for Source 2.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby SM Sith Lord on Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:28 pm

Armageddon wrote:Good luck getting a Source license to put it on Steam. And making a total conversion.

I'll need all the luck I can get, although I'm not too sure you really mean it. :P I chose a project that most of the content is user-created, so actually creating the "total conversion" isn't as insane a task as for most projects.

Check it out if you'd like, however the prototypes are a bit broken at the moment because of all the updates Valve has been putting out.

(video presentation at the top)
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/831 ... n=2eb56342

(website for last year's prototype)
http://www.smarcade.net/

(website for this year's version)
http://www.anarchyarcade.com/

Hollow wrote:I don't think this is honestly going to be feasible unless Biohazard himself bothers to do it. It would be quicker porting all your hl2 related code over to Alien Swarm deferred instead of chipping away for the best part of a year. Not that I'm trying to dishearten you guys, but any time an update appears, everybody swoons at the possibility of getting deferred in bog-standard Source.

You have 3 viable options, Make do with what you have, switch and slug it out getting code to work in swarm (what we've done), or wait for Source 2.

My stuff is currently compiling on the Alien Swarm SDK, but I have to move it over to the newest version of the Source engine to make publishing it a possibility (maybe?). I suspect Biohazard will be looking into porting it to the new Source engine as soon as he has time. I don't know him personally though, maybe he's too busy now days? Either way, I'll have to make due with what the Source SDK 2013 has to offer for the time being.
Last edited by SM Sith Lord on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Hollow on Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:43 pm

Unfortunately, i'd say he's too busy, our team worked with him on deferred extensively, to the point where we merged our implementations and optimizations with his codebase.

Our programmer Jack became an author for the directory & even then he found Bio hard to obtain for feedback. The dude has bigger things to deal with afaik - finishing uni, Valve offer in the pipeline.
Hollow
Ubisoft/Monothetic

Postby SM Sith Lord on Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Botolf wrote:Per the instructions, I think the point is to compile the base yourself, but I'm hung up on two missing includes: afxwin.h and atlbase.h.

Or not, Base just showed up after I restarted Steam.

These files can be obtained for free in the Windows Driver Kit:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 87428.aspx

I know they come with 7.1.0, but I'm not sure if they come with version 8.

edit:
Oh, you found atlbase, never mind. :D
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:31 pm

Yeah biohazard (the author of the deferred code) is currently working on Blade Symphony, a portal 2 engine based game.

As hollow mentioned earlier we're doing oru own thing on our own project, but right now it's been pretty slow, hopefully we can get some more minor improvements down the tubes at a later point this year. On our own project the only thing I can really go in-depth at this moment would be performance fixes. Our current goal is trying to get deferred running a little better, and then maybe adding some features the community can benefit from once it's stable.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby Botolf on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:31 am

@Hollow: If porting HL2 stuff to Swarm is indeed the faster route, I think I'll soon have some grasp of it. Have bits and pieces of HL2 waiting for me in Swarm already if this proves too obtuse to figure out. Have at least a couple of directions for porting Deferred to 2007, so it might be similar enough (once shaderlib shows up, anyway).

Though a question does come to mind: Any way to compile a mod for Mac and Linux if one doesn't have those immediately at hand? (though I know people with said OSes)

SM Sith Lord wrote:
Botolf wrote:Per the instructions, I think the point is to compile the base yourself, but I'm hung up on two missing includes: afxwin.h and atlbase.h.

Or not, Base just showed up after I restarted Steam.

These files can be obtained for free in the Windows Driver Kit:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 87428.aspx

I know they come with 7.1.0, but I'm not sure if they come with version 8.

Ah, thankya very much! That sorted afxwin.h, but atlbase.h seemingly is no good out of the box, which Phonemeextractor is seemingly reliant on. QC_Eyes is also uncooperative, it's seemingly relies on nafxcw.lib (which isn't included in the WDK). Every other project compiles okay on Express, and Game was okay from the beginning, so probably still workable.
Botolf
Regular
Regular

Postby stoopdapoop on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:26 am

I think the phoneme extractor has the windows speech SDK as a dependency. If you download the right version of that then everything should be good.

on an unrelated note, I'm glad they finally changed the output name of the client.dll. it used to be "Client.dll" and now it's "client.dll", so it matches with "server.dll"
I'm Brown
stoopdapoop
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Botolf on Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:35 am

Yup, downloaded the speech sdk to fix other includes. Afxwin.h isn't in there, I guess.
Botolf
Regular
Regular

Postby Epifire on Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:11 pm

When everything has been explored I wouldn't mind just trying to see if we can get a list together of all the new features, things that may or may not be working, etc.

My question on this is if Valve is actually going to work with us on fixing bugs and adding in features they missed?
Epifire

Postby wereMole on Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:10 pm

On a sidenote: what happened to the "Save visible objects only" compiling options to avoid hidden objects being compiled? I read on various sources that this option exists but I cannot find it anywhere.
wereMole
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Site News