CS:GO - de_coldwater

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

CS:GO - de_coldwater

Postby mendax on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:33 am

Hello, everyone! I have just released my new CS:GO map de_coldwater, set in a German village. Enjoy!

Edit: Forgot to mention it, but of course I am looking for feedback on layout and aesthetics! Thanks. :D

Screens:

Last edited by mendax on Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mendax
Regular
Regular

Re: CS:GO - de_coldwater

Postby Armageddon on Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:12 am

Looks amazing and the layout looks good. Could be an official. :)
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Knights on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:22 pm

I like it great work! My only problem with it is it looks like every other Days of Defeat map i've seen in the past and I'm totally burned out on that look... :x Besides that it looks pretty solid. I'll have to run through it later on....
Random gallery... Knights_Stuff.
Home page --> http://www.knights.interlopers.net/
Knights
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Anduriel on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:35 pm

The visuals are great, nice work. But the layout may cause some problems. The B-Spot looks like it's very hard to conquer, maybe it could use a connector from mid. And you've got very narrow paths, blocking each other could become a serious problem. I know this is hard to change now, but maybe you can work on it a little. Besides that, it's a nice close combat map. Good work.
Anduriel
Dumpling
Dumpling

Postby cpl. punishment on Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:36 pm

Map like this makes you wish for a DOD:GO or something. Get on it, Valve.
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby MaK on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:34 pm

Jesus, nice looking map. The theme had me thinking DOD at first too. Will totally check it out, definitely looks official map worthy so far.
MaK

Postby mendax on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:10 am

Thank you all for the replies, I really appreciate it. To be honest I am not too familiar with Day of Defeat so I am surprised to hear how similar they are, however I suppose it's understandable if both have maps that are based off of Germany.

Anduriel wrote:The visuals are great, nice work. But the layout may cause some problems. The B-Spot looks like it's very hard to conquer, maybe it could use a connector from mid. And you've got very narrow paths, blocking each other could become a serious problem. I know this is hard to change now, but maybe you can work on it a little. Besides that, it's a nice close combat map. Good work.

Thank you for the analysis. We are currently addressing some of concerns over the layout that you and other players have provided to us, especially around Bombsite B (the bombsite on the left).
mendax
Regular
Regular

Postby mendax on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:04 am

We've updated the map today, significantly improving the layout and making some minor visual changes. The new layout can be found here:

Again, thanks to everybody for their input. We are still planning on making updates so any comments are still appreciated!
mendax
Regular
Regular

Postby [frank] on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:46 pm

In the new path there's some funky reflection issues.

That low quality texture around the edges really stood out for me. Is there a suitable replacement for it?
[frank]
Regular
Regular

Postby mendax on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:33 am

Thank you [frank], I fixed both issues in a recent update. The reflection was a problem with the texture that didn't show up until I had built the cubemaps, which unfortunately was the last step so at that point it wasn't worth having to recompile the map again. The low quality textures are overlays, and I was able to fix it by using two instead of stretching one. My game likes to default on lower graphic settings so this never stood out from what for me are typically all low-quality textures, so thank you for pointing that out.

I'm still doing updates so anymore critiques are appreciated. Thanks!
mendax
Regular
Regular

Postby SM Sith Lord on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:52 am

I haven't played the map, but the screenshots make it look great.

That curved street looks so sexy. I love seeing curved archi like that in Source because its so damn hard to do in Hammer properly with the damn grid snap and rounding errors. One thing though, the sidewalk on the left-hand side of the street, the 1st three or 4 bend edges of the curb are very noticeable. By cutting a pizza slice to the sidewalk (with the pointy side facing the water) you'd be able to break that single bend edge on the curb into two. This is the best way I can think of upping the detail in those spots.

Besides some of the low-res textures that other people have pointed out, this map looks extremely good and realistic. The buildings look so livable that when the bomb goes off I'd expect couches and furniture to fly out of the buildings.

Very good looking map. Nice work.
SM Sith Lord
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby mendax on Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:25 pm

SM Sith Lord wrote:One thing though, the sidewalk on the left-hand side of the street, the 1st three or 4 bend edges of the curb are very noticeable. By cutting a pizza slice to the sidewalk (with the pointy side facing the water) you'd be able to break that single bend edge on the curb into two.

Thank you for the critique. Unfortunately, the road is made out of displacements (it slopes up and down as well as curves) so I can't divide it into triangles. I tried to morph the displacements to fit in more curbs but the texture warp was too noticeable.

Anyways, these updates are becoming less and less frequent as I run out of things to fix or improve but by all means, I am still taking suggestions so don't hesitate to let me know what you think.
mendax
Regular
Regular

Postby Dr. Delta on Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:58 pm

Really sweet looking work right there!

I think it's interesting the 2nd and 3rd screenshot remind me so much of dod_kalt and dod_flash:
were those inspirations for you, or is that just coincidental?
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mendax on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:59 am

Thank you! I've never played much Day of Defeat so those are entirely coincidental.
mendax
Regular
Regular

Postby pk_hunter on Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:14 pm

It's normal for a map to give me an erection, right?

This is not weird in any way.
pk_hunter
Pheropod
Pheropod

Next

Return to Showcase