[CSGO] cs_boston

Show off your finished maps, models and other creations. Screen shots are a must!

[CSGO] cs_boston

Postby EcGRooster on Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:53 pm

after 8 months of fixing and working on it, its finally ported and in the workshop! the rest of the screen shots are in the workshop, please check it out subscribe, like, and comment.

EcGRooster

Re: [CSGO] cs_boston

Postby pk_hunter on Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:51 pm

Design looks like it definitely has potential, but this is really lacking detail at the moment. I don't mean to sound rude, but I struggle to see eight months' work here, especially if it's only a port and the layout already existed.

Definitely needs more details in terms of models & brushwork. Consider adding trims to just about every edge and add some variety to the texturing. I mean look at that last screenshot - there are maybe six total textures there, one being a giant advert and one being a spray decal that has been duplicated less than 10ft away on the same wall. Pretty lazy!

Look forward to seeing it finished, best of luck!
pk_hunter
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby EcGRooster on Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:45 pm

pk_hunter wrote:Design looks like it definitely has potential, but this is really lacking detail at the moment. I don't mean to sound rude, but I struggle to see eight months' work here, especially if it's only a port and the layout already existed.

Definitely needs more details in terms of models & brushwork. Consider adding trims to just about every edge and add some variety to the texturing. I mean look at that last screenshot - there are maybe six total textures there, one being a giant advert and one being a spray decal that has been duplicated less than 10ft away on the same wall. Pretty lazy!

Look forward to seeing it finished, best of luck!

thanks for the input, i appreciate it a lot.
this is my 2nd project, de_KuKulcan was my first and if you have not read that post it was a learning tool for hammer. de_boston is not my map and i started out by porting de_boston to csgo for the community im apart of, some one in my community suggested i do a cs_boston so i began that task, once i started porting de_boston i ran into a ton of problems and had the mindset of trying to keep the map as original as possible. i really took the entire map apart brush by brush to eliminate useless and unnecessary brushes and replaced a lot of brushes with models such as the window frames. also i still had the func_detail error to deal with. for some one who has never done this kind of stuff yeah 8 months is not really a long time in my book.
i have been getting some feed back in the work shop about this as well but im not going to comment there about the reasoning but the lack of detail is to keep the aesthetics of the map,(there is already a de_boston_csgo that was ported by [V.E.C] Avo here http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =de_boston if you compare the 2 im sure you will see the difference between the 2 and how much detail i have added to it already. ironically someone from my community has posted there and they chose to put his version on the server and not either one of my versions) this is what Boston looks like and thats the way it should be, as far as the spray decal that is the original mappers placement not mine, i did notice it but chose to ignore it anyway. as far as i can see its pretty much finished and unless people play test it for proper feedback then i really cant do anything else with it, except remove that decal.
this map is to its limit and it refuses to allow me to add any significant addons without giving me errors. it has been a (frustrating) learning experience for me and hopefully my next project will be a better one.

play test the map and thanks again for the input.
EcGRooster

Postby EcGRooster on Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:41 pm

ok so someone posted on the workshop and made me aware of the file size, 108.666MB, which i think is HUGE! i never noticed file size before so i was wondering if anyone knows how to make it smaller? i paked it using VIDE and not pakrat, im not sure if its been paked correctly or not for it to be so large a file. i followed TopHatts video to use VIDE so im not sure what happened.
EcGRooster

Postby [Steve] on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:47 pm

Where is the workshop link to the map? I think you will get more feedback if people are actually able to play test it themselves.
As for the file size I cannot imagine how its so large, either you have a ton of custom content (which isnt visible in the screens) or you are packing unnecessary files.
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby EcGRooster on Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:57 pm

[Steve] wrote:Where is the workshop link to the map? I think you will get more feedback if people are actually able to play test it themselves.
As for the file size I cannot imagine how its so large, either you have a ton of custom content (which isnt visible in the screens) or you are packing unnecessary files.

yes i used VIDE for the first time and i hadnt noticed i paked all the csgo pak files with it, someone posted on the workshop about the file size and im currently working on re-paking it, tax stuff came up so that takes precedents over mapping. here is the link.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... 229673354#
EcGRooster

Return to Showcase