Mapping Competition

Comment on the news articles here.

Mapping Competition

Postby [Steve] on Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:35 pm

So yep it finally happened I got around to finishing and launching the mini competition site, the page itself is still in beta so feel free to suggest things to add to the Faq ect.
And please do ask if there's something you want me to clarify or expand on.
Hopefully most of you will find it interesting enough though I realise its pretty hard to cater to everyone's tastes.
If this comp is successful there will be more!

Click here or the above image to go to the competition site.

Please note the competition site url will change and soon be hosted with Interlopers.
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Re: Mapping Competition

Postby Armageddon on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:06 pm

So it's Reissues?
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby [Steve] on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:15 pm

Never heard of it but it does look like there are a few similarity's!
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Armageddon on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:22 pm

Can I release it as a content only EP2 mod? I don't care for having people place maps in the raw EP2 directory.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby [Steve] on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:25 pm

Good question, I cant think of any reason why not. Ill add that to the faq in a bit.
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby [KIRBY] on Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:48 pm

alright, couple of questions:

1. is it necessary to be _ONE_ map?
2. HL2 game only? are episodes allowed?
3. is teleporter malfunction necessary? can we use other means to send Gordon on his Journey?
4. map size? how crazy can we get?
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby [Steve] on Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:07 pm

1. one bsp only. unless this is a huge issue for alot of you. Will add to faq
2. I should have been more specific , half life 2, or any of the episodes. Will add to faq
3. Yep that is the small bit of backstory, however you do not have to add a teleport sequence into your level. This is to give you freedom to set your level anywhere, and to have the player start anywhere.
4.My advice would be to create something smaller, refined and polished, but i am not putting an actual restriction on to the actual size of your level. Will add to faq
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Generalvivi on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:17 pm

Is there going to be a section on the site where we can start a wip thread? Or at least a place where all of the wip threads can be together?
Generalvivi
Irrational Games

Postby [Steve] on Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:36 pm

There should be somewhere soon, sorting it out with Blink at the moment.
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Armageddon on Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:50 pm

Multiple BSPs is going to have to be okay, alright?
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby [KIRBY] on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:10 pm

question about teleportation
is involving g-man into teleportation ok?
I would like my map to be simply a small job Gordon does for g-man, he just gets teleported in and out by him.
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby srredfire on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:21 pm

Okay so I'm a little bit confused, so for some clarification...

When you say that the aim is to create a level that features a new location that doesn't feature in the original games, are you saying that it should NOT include anywhere taking place in City 17, White Forest, The Citadel, or any place that is actually in the games? Meaning don't make a separate floor in The Citadel that you never went to or a city block in City 17 that Gordon never crossed paths with?

I'm confused as to whether or not it has to take place within the actual areas that games went through and you just make another "zone" from those environments or if you're saying I can make the top of Mount Everest as long as it feels like a level in a Half-Life game.

Are things that were prominent structures in Half-Life 2 and the episodes off limits? Like giant bridges, or parking garages? If something has been in the games before should it not be made?
srredfire
Veteran
Veteran

Postby cpl. punishment on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:56 pm

Is porting stock assets from other Valve games allowed?
cpl. punishment
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby [Steve] on Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:38 am

srredfire wrote:When you say that the aim is to create a level that features a new location that doesn't feature in the original games, are you saying that it should NOT include anywhere taking place in City 17, White Forest, The Citadel, or any place that is actually in the games? Meaning don't make a separate floor in The Citadel that you never went to or a city block in City 17 that Gordon never crossed paths with?

Correct! we don't want a return to Ravenholm, or re-exploration of City 17 ect.
The aim is to be imaginative and think of somewhere new, somewhere outside of Gordon Freemans previous journeys.
It can however still be within a city or a forest as long as its clearly designed to be a new location. For example the city's design isn't an replica of City 17.

srredfire wrote:I'm confused as to whether or not it has to take place within the actual areas that games went through and you just make another "zone" from those environments or if you're saying I can make the top of Mount Everest as long as it feels like a level in a Half-Life game.

It does not have to take place in areas of the same type that you went through previously in the games. You could indeed create the top of mount Everest in a style that would fit it into the Half-Life universe.

srredfire wrote:Are things that were prominent structures in Half-Life 2 and the episodes off limits? Like giant bridges, or parking garages? If something has been in the games before should it not be made?

Remember the idea is to create something that feels like a new location, you may use structure types that are prominent in Half-Life 2 and the episodes as long as you feel your level overall reflects a new location.
For example you may could create an airfield in the middle of a forest, and you may want to include warehouse type structures like you would find in Half-Life 2 , this would be okay as the level clearly is a new setting.

Its tricky but hopefully it will get everyone thinking out side of the box and designing some unique maps.

[KIRBY] wrote:question about teleportation
is involving g-man into teleportation ok?
I would like my map to be simply a small job Gordon does for g-man, he just gets teleported in and out by him.

What happens in your map is up to you! the only back story was the teleportation has gone wrong, there's no reason why the G-man couldn't have had something to do with that if you like.
You aren't required to include a teleportation intro or outro, but you can if you like.

Armageddon wrote:Multiple BSPs is going to have to be okay, alright?

As I said its one bsp at the moment, but perhaps you could elaborate and can give a good argument as to why people would want more? I'm certainly willing to consider it.
I'm not wanting people to create epically long campaigns though.

cpl. punishment wrote:Is porting stock assets from other Valve games allowed?

I'm going to say yes as not everyone is an artist and able to create new assets,However please don't port hundreds of assets, and please only port things that would clearly fit into the Half-Life universe, no Tf2 or Dota2 assets, and no assets from day of defeat like a giant tank...
And if you do, please try to limit the number you use.
Also we haven't decided on a final file size for final submissions, but there will be a reasonable limit, I will let everyone know when the site is updated with submission information.
[Steve]
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Plague on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:36 am

[Steve] wrote:
Armageddon wrote:Multiple BSPs is going to have to be okay, alright?

As I said its one bsp at the moment, but perhaps you could elaborate and can give a good argument as to why people would want more? I'm certainly willing to consider it.
I'm not wanting people to create epically long campaigns though.

The intention is to create a two part entry with the map work split between me and arma.
Really it doesn't need to be two separate maps, but it just makes it a bit easier to work each on our parts.
If this is a problem we can probably just work it into one map.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Site News