Model pimpage Thread

Modelling, Textures, Animating and other general engine asset topics.

Re: Model pimpage Thread

Postby kraid on Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:18 am

If you do them the way like in your Pic above, you'll have to do each piece individually.
I'd rather develop the destructed parts from a non destructed model, just like in the example with the beams.

No time for a more detailed explaination now sorry. (g2g to work)
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
get it now and play for FREE!!!
http://www.goldeneyesource.net
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby plagueofburia on Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:20 pm

I have started texturing the supports. The UVs are okay, the texture looks strange for some reason, struggling to find something that works. What does one think of this at the moment? What kind of texture would you go with?

UVs I might move some of the islands around see if I can get better results. I also need the texture to be seamless.

Texture, I don't know about the rust it seems jarring at first glance.

Sorry my map/bridge and everything else is not finished. Recently been really high temperature hard to concentrate on anything.
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby Kanine01 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:55 pm

finished i think
Kanine01
Regular
Regular

Postby plagueofburia on Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:49 pm

The texture hasn't changed that much, what does one think of the overall texture idea? There is a lot more rust. There is hardly any base coat of the paint. I have also added bolts. I am not sure if the bolts make sense.

plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby kraid on Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:14 am

Not bad. just make sure the texture of this part blends well with the texture of the beams.
Since the rest of the Bridge has little to no paint left, i'd do the same with this part.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Dr. Delta on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:18 pm

Really nice work Kanine01! Some great progress plagueofburia :D

1.096-1.200 triangles, 1024² D/S, 1024×512 D/S/A

Some windows for de_binnenhof.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby plagueofburia on Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:42 pm

Cheers kraid, yeah I revised the texture again. Kept the original rust idea, lowered the rusts intensity but decided the bolts do not fit the overall idea. The lower half of the texture is seamless. It turned out very different then the reference I used. It was suppose to be green paint : )

UV unwrapping slowed everything down in creating these B_supports, I am not really sure why that was. Perhaps next time I won't spend that amount of time on UV unwrapping. These supports are still not finished I need to complete the broken parts next.

Front

Back

I have noticed one thing these black shadows have appeared on the mesh, I have recalculated normals but nothing seems to change. I don't know what is wrong or if it can even be fixed.

plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby kraid on Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:01 am

The dark Shadows are caused by the shading that is uniform across the whole mesh it seams.
You need to define where the smoothing breaks.

http://blender.stackexchange.com/questi ... is-there-a

Using an "Edge Split Modifier" seems to be the best solution to me.
The Set Solid/Set Smooth and Autosmooth doesn't carry over to other apps and i guess also doesn't export to source.
The Edge Split Modifier on the other hand splits the vertics at said edges, which is something that's done with all hard edges/smoothing groups during export to a gameengine anyway.

There's also a command called edge split, but it splits the geometry instantly while the Modifier makes it possible to apply changes to the edge selection.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby [KIRBY] on Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:57 pm

its defo smoothing groups causing this problem

remove ALL smoothing groups from your mesh, then autosmooth at 30 degrees, it should do the trick
[KIRBY]
Regular
Regular

Postby kraid on Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:41 pm

Does the Blender smd Exporter recognize the default blender smoothing?
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby plagueofburia on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:36 pm

Thanks for all the comments and advice it means a lot.

Kirby, where would the smoothing groups in blender be : ). Is it the shading option? I see options for smooth and flat.

Smooth shading was over the whole mesh, put it back to flat the black shadows have gone, thanks, though this is strange. Added an edge split modifier at 30 degrees but I can't see any changes to the flat shading. I looked up auto smooth in Blender, I can't find auto smooth it should be in the object data area in the properties panel under normals I see nothing there. Edge split seems to have the same functions as auto smoothing but it is not exactly the same,

It is possible to select some faces to be smooth and some to be flat, so that is what I have tried to do the X part of the mesh is smooth and the rest is flat. The problem I can see here is while it is great to be able to do this, how can one tell quickly what faces are smooth and which are flat?

Does the Blender smd Exporter recognize the default blender smoothing?

I am not sure I have not exported anything for a long time. In the exporter I do see the option that says ignore Blender. Though that says"only export face assigned image file names" . I don't know how blender handles smooth and flat shading. I heard when exporting to make everything smooth shading, otherwise the model will not compile correctly I do not know if this is true or not. If this is true having selected some faces Smooth and some faces Flat like I have done will mean the model will not compile.

Black shadows have gone.

I do have another question about source this has been asked and answered before but can I add in the VTF texture parameters so one model can cast a shadow onto another model? I don't believe textures on models work this way in source. I may need to add a slight artificial shadow on the texture, these supports are underneath, they look strange without a shadow.
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby kraid on Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:58 pm

If there's no normalmap on your model, you can have shadows calculated on a per vertex base.
Ofc. your model needs to have enough vertexes in these areas otherwise you might get strange results.
Goldeneye Source v4.2.3
kraid
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby plagueofburia on Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:34 pm

Cheers kraid once again for all the great advice, this model just for the sheer size was daunting prospect, though with help, it has made it possible to try and attempt this model, thanks :smt023. I am near the end of the modelling and texture process, well I hope, I hope it has turned out okay, though it has taken more than a month. In reality this should have been done last year oh well. : )

UV unwrapping on some parts of the model has be very difficult. Using one part of the mesh and duplicating it, then using the knife tool on the mesh was very helpful on the truss supports and the X type supports 2. The broken X supports 2 A/B proved very challenging. Copying part of the mesh then cutting and rotating the mesh did not work so well for me, the stretching of the texture doing it in this way was too much and looked terrible.

Perhaps if someone could have shown me how to really do this I might of been able to follow. Alas, in the end the texture for the broken supports 2 A/B had to be redone for those parts and in doing so has added 2 extra sheets I would have liked to have used just one texture sheet for the broken parts.I used project from view on the UVs and Support 2 A texture would not work very well for Support 2 B.

Creating all these textures and UV unwrapping for this model has made the creation of this bridge very long and tedious.

I think the total amount of texture sheets for this bridge will be about 5 texture sheets.

4 texture sheets at 1024x1024

1-trusses
1- X type Supports 2
1-Broken X supports 2 A
1-Broken X supports 2 B

Still to do
1 texture sheet for the end truss caps at 256x256.... maybe..... not sure.

Broken X supports 2 A

Broken X supports 2 B

The end truss caps
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

Postby Stormy on Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:54 am

Good work buria, as for the wierd shadows you were having, that is a blender smoothing group thing. You can have flat and smooth faces in your model with no problems at all. Select the faces you want to be flat and hit 'w', then find 'shade flat'. You'll also see 'shade smooth' there, you can select the faces you want smooth and then shade them smooth in the same way.

With the edge split modifier, blender puts a 'sharp edge' along any edges that have two faces that are at a greater angle than the angle set in the modifier. You can also tick 'sharp edges' and then go in manually and put sharp edges along where your shading errors are. I did a quick vid for you:

Also the texture on the supports underneath is so jarring because it's such a saturated red, in contrast with the darker red of the bridge above. I don't think it looks bad though, the contrast gives it more visual interest. If you are worried about the shadows on the supports you can bake the AO with the top part of the bridge in the scene and blender will consider it for the AO bake, but I wouldn't worry. If they are both staticprops and you compile with staticproppolys then source should make it all look sweet.
Stormy
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby plagueofburia on Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:57 pm

Hi,cheers, thanks Black_Stormy for the video and advice.

The issue with the jarring darker truss texture may be due to the smooth shading I had. I watched the video you created cool. Now have added a edge split modifier to all the meshes. I have not applied the edge split though. Do I need to apply this to the mesh before compiling?

I have really never used modifiers in Blender, I would like to be able to use them correctly in the future.

The edge split has fixed a few of the shadow problems, if it still is jarring then I guess the art direction of the trusses is at fault. I have found it difficult to get what I wanted. I originally had the idea these trusses would have green paint for some reason it ended up as red. I did boost the saturation of the texture to exceedingly high levels this may have had a negative effect.

The underside of the truss texture was intentionally created differently(added scratches)from the sides and top of the red truss .

Is this the problem you have with the texture? Should I lower the overall saturation of the red trusses?

I have also added, I am not sure of the technical term in architecture, possibly a gusset plate? I added a mesh that holds 2 separate trusses together a metal cap with bolts. Was the best attempt I could do, could be better was difficult to get this result. If any one wants to give an idea on how to make these gusset plates better let me know.I used a 256x256 sheet for 4 variations.

5 texture sheets:

1=Red Truss
2=X type support
3=X type broke support A
4=X type broken spport B
5= Gusset plates

bridge width 1720 units

These pictures have texture in the view port shading, this seems to have lit the mesh, it looks brighter.

Gusset plate texture 256x256

lit underside view of texture

lit

lit

lit top and underside view of texture

non lit

I don't have blender set up to export smd's since the 2013 update I have not exported anything just been making models, so I still need to do that. Still need to create a collision mesh still need to do that. Both the collision mesh and the exporting I probably need help/advice how to do this.

The textures and modelling process is finished or near finished.

The model was created in hammer first a year or so ago. In Blender it took about a month or so to create this model, a lot of time was spent numerous times redoing the UV layout.
plagueofburia
Regular
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Art Creation