[HL2:EP2] The Masked Prisoner

Reveal what you have made so far and get feedback on development.

Re: [HL2:EP2] The Masked Prisoner

Postby m.anderson on Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:32 am

Thanks Ade, that did it. Derpyblade, I managed to watch all your demo files. They confirmed a lot of the changes I made :) I still need another day or two to upload the revision.
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Postby Ade on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:41 am

No problemo.
A small hijack if I may: if someone would be so kind as to reproduce it and write their sys info here https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Source ... ssues/1641 I've done it n times before and for nothing as Valve takes forever to solve anything, and I'm not keen on sharing personal info again.
Ade
Regular
Regular

Postby m.anderson on Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:48 pm

New version 2.8 has been uploaded. Thanks for all the feedback guys.
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:51 pm

Played the new version, it feels improved.

Highlight to read:
Now that the second fight with Combine elites isn't bungled by the stairwell (they seem to hang much farther back now, which is pretty good) I actually noticed for the first time that you can toss a grenade into the generator to release some zombies on the elites. Very cool trick.

I still think the zombie run at the end needs something to slow the player down, there is just not much danger to be had here. I think a bottleneck of zombies in a narrower path might do it, with a few paltry remaining Combine forces coming up from behind to give the illusion of a chase.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby m.anderson on Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:57 pm

hah! Awesome that you noticed the zombie cage area change :) I'm relieved that fixed it.
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Postby ErikKiller on Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:00 am

I'm gonna hang back and wait for version 2.9.9.1 :P
Don't want to burn myself out with all the testing.
First rodeo? Use the Source SDK Documentation for reference!
ErikKiller
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby m.anderson on Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:21 pm

haha, no worries man. I'm working on the final version with some art love anyways. I hope to have it out in a couple weeks.
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Postby Ade on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:26 am

I might test v2.8 tonight or tomorrow night, if it's not too late. I'm also available for live playthroughs, so please pm me if you're interested, Mr. Anderson.
Ade
Regular
Regular

Postby Ade on Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:39 pm

Demos: https://www.sendspace.com/file/7hesce (I suggest AdBlockPlus if you have any issues with that site or ads in general, browsing with it is a breeze)

Arrival
- nice intro, with small fps issue, but I wonder why I had the entire ship to myself
- I like the entry to the secret area, tho I didn't get to see what exactly happened, I guess the back of the toilet just opened
- and the change in atmosphere is nice, along with the custom music
- ladder doesn't make ladder sound
- obvious valve to stop gas is obvious
- I like the indoor combine architecture
- the pushing of the button felt weird, like why would they position a headcrab canister over a laser and the connection to it is not obvious
- the field disactivations aren't obvious, but going back was the only thing left to do
- why is everything closed now?
- the scanner after the vertical laser scan doesn't really target me like the photo scanners
Sabotage
- I liked the scripted sequence
- don't forget to delete the custom cfg from the mod folder
- not sure what I was supposed to do with the nade, but nice effect of it floating in that area and nice explosion afterwards
- conveniently vent opening
- not a fan of invis walls
- feels like I'm playing on Easy
Regroup
- hmmm why can't the police see me through the openings
- one combine elite was not shooting the zombies, see demo
- why are there burned corpses here?
Finale
- strider felt like he was comin from under water rather than under the bridge
- I missed the blast and the beginning of the destruction of the bridge cus I was trying to 'take cover' as told; perhaps use an eye angle trigger instead?
- not sure if I was supposed to save every1 or only myself
- shame i didn't fight the strider
- heh so Barney was behind the mask, again! nice ending
- it's a good idea to check the console for errors, I had for example this in the end: CSceneEntity finale.lcs.odessa1 unable to find actor named "global.npc.cit1"

It's a nice little mod, feels a bit light though, a lot of space that we only get to explore for the most part of the mod and the fighting felt like the game could've asked for more from me. The new mechanic is nice, and was a good combination with the sniper and brigingin him down. Disguising is always cool, and combat towards the end finally picked up the pace. But in the final area I felt a bit rushed and ran past the zombies and, not having the squad hud icons, I didn't feel obligated to save anyone and they did fine by themselves either way. The Strider was an anti climax, of course. But meeting Alyx and finding out my identity made for a good wrap-up. I didn't find ways to get out of the map in this first playthrough, but I did see outside of it by jumping on a tree bark, if you watch the demos. Visually, there's nothing to argue yet, but layout wise it was pretty varied and clear enough for player progression. I can't wait to see the combine architecture come to life.
Ade
Regular
Regular

Postby m.anderson on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:14 am

I just played through your demos Ade. I know I must sound like a broken record, but jesus, thank you so much for making them. I'm already implementing some fixes for the things you brought up.

One specific question: did you not hear ANY audio for ladders? When you moved up and down them were you not hearing anything?

I am aware of the console error you mentioned. It's not really an error. It's because some people in your squad can die. Spoiler!
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Postby Ade on Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:45 am

You're welcome? heh and if you ever feel the need for more testers, the BTC are available.

There was 1 wooden ladder that made some noise, but it felt like almost all were silent, or with just 1s of the climbing sound, aka no mounting and unmounting sounds that I noticed.

Well that 'error' was just one example, there were others throughout. I only noticed red messages when going to console to record, I don't check for them specifically, but you should :P
Ade
Regular
Regular

Postby m.anderson on Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:15 pm

I've checked the console routinely, so don't worry but thanks for bringing it up.

I had to override HL2's ladder sounds. Unfortunately there's no way I could find to remove the metal "attach" sounds when using a ladder, so I went with the lesser of two evils and just removed it. At least now a wooden ladder sounds like wood and a metal ladder sounds like metal. For example on wooden ladders, there's no longer an awkward metal sound when you attach, only the wooden sound when you move. Nice job on noticing though :)
m.anderson
Regular
Regular

Previous

Return to Under Construction