Is this really it?

Chat about various topics.

Re: Is this really it?

Postby Jman on Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:06 pm

Only thing that sucks is all the old image hosts people used in the past either died or deleted their stuff so the Map Battles pages are mostly lost.
Jman
Veteran
Veteran

Postby jimonions on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:33 am

I'm working as an environment artist right now too. I still get offers from people looking for others to make source maps or just wanting advice. There is almost nothing in the world that could bring me back into source, and even if there was I wouldn't even remember how to properly install their messed up SDK.

Still Source mapping days were definitely the best part of this career even now. Its hard to reproduce that magic in the real world.
jimonions
Regular
Regular

Postby ScarT on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:12 pm

Missing Information is still being developed. We're coming to Steam this year. I've given up on Source a couple of times, and maybe its time to move on.
ScarT

Postby LordDz on Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:03 am

ScarT wrote:Missing Information is still being developed. We're coming to Steam this year. I've given up on Source a couple of times, and maybe its time to move on.

So you're saying it's coming to Steam this year but that you're also thinking about giving it up? :?
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby RawMeat3000 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:06 am

I have the absolute fondest memories of this site and everyone in it. You've all been crazy helpful and I am grateful to have been a part of the community. I hope this community gets a boost from whatever new project Valve is working on!
RawMeat3000
Modelling Challenges Moderator

Postby 904 on Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:41 pm

Interlopers has been one of the top HL mapping sites for years. And the memories will remain. It's been good to all of us.
Design Section Moderator

Postby Dr Evil on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:47 pm

Wow.... 'lopers is still kicking...

Even though its dated, i still find myself coming back & looking through the tutorials for stuff I have forgotten how to do... I still dab in level design a little bit... Theres a handful of us left from the old STK clan that still get together weekly & play HL2DM or left 4 dead.

So is good to come here & see new posts every so often :)
Dr Evil
1337 p0st3r
1337 p0st3r

Postby ScarT on Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:57 pm

LordDz wrote:So you're saying it's coming to Steam this year but that you're also thinking about giving it up? :?

It's coming to Steam this year. It'll be released as a minimum but I'm not entirely sure what the direction is after. We're working on Workshop support but things are progressing slowly.
ScarT

Postby Enraged on Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:50 pm

Just to prove the point, even if I was never a core community member, last logged in Dec 7 2012... I'm still here.
Enraged
Regular
Regular

Postby Whipper on Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:50 pm

jesus last time i logged in was 2014... although i was always lurking and dont often even use the source engine much anymore but still visit from time to time... will always love this place.. got me started on my journey to this god for saken addiction i have now.
This place may be dead.. but that doesnt mean it cant come back to life with some TLC and branching out to other/modern things.... i always loved mapcore but feel over the last couple of years it's main thing circulates around csgo (not a bad thing) but i jst cant bring myself around to...(iv tryd)...
"its not the place that makes the people its the people that make the place"
I hope this site doesnt go down..time does goes by and new generations come through but still alot of folk learn the fundementals from the source engine and this place has always been one of the best source engine resource site around..
apologize for the small rant and considering i never took part much within these forums (mostly lurked) i still got love for this place.
Whipper

Postby LordDz on Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:42 am

The site is dead, but the community is far from it.

Just visit the source community, half-life, source engine, tf2 / csgo themed discords and you'll see plenty of people still active.
https://discord.gg/xWFe7E
LordDz
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Jman on Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:37 pm

ScarT wrote:
LordDz wrote:So you're saying it's coming to Steam this year but that you're also thinking about giving it up? :?

It's coming to Steam this year. It'll be released as a minimum but I'm not entirely sure what the direction is after. We're working on Workshop support but things are progressing slowly.

I've recently been interested in fixing up the leak again but have no idea what anyone from the old team is doing now, there appears to be another russian leak fixup group that's making a lot of progress in terms of art/level assets but nobody's really doing code like Essel/Andy did.

One of the old members added me to Steam randomly and then proceeded to never message me ever which I think was Andy? Either way it would be cool to pick up where we left off since I'm no longer a teenager and actually know how to code a networked game properly and make professional level art assets.

That random team of Russians probably could have used your v35 decompiler and the model version switcher but I think they've pretty much ported all the v32-v36 stuff to v37 already.

I think one of the worst parts of working on the leak now would be porting the engine to work on something more recent than XP SP2.
Jman
Veteran
Veteran

Postby skoften on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:18 pm

Hey guys,

So... I've actually played Chells Legend - if anyone can remember ;) Might give it a shot to port it to portal 2 but do not expect anything soon.

Good to come here every now and then, while we're waiting for hl3 to drop. *kugh*
skoften
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby andy4729 on Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:21 pm

Wow, it's been a while since I've hung around these parts. Sad to see that the community is on its last legs but I was expecting the site to not even exist anymore if I'm honest - just had a random thought about the good times I used to have here and thought I'd give it a check. Glad to hear that people have moved on into the industry.

I've been a Web Developer now for about 6 years. A part of me still wishes I got into the gaming industry but I've heard a few of my friends say that working in it sort of ruins the fun a bit, but who knows.
We're squatting in a system that consistently stalls
andy4729
Regular
Regular

Postby TicTac on Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:50 pm

I've been thinking about this forum a lot lately, it's a great community. It's sad to see s
places like this dry up, but I guess that's expected when we haven't gotten anything new to mod in ages, not counting CSGO. I popped over to mapcore but man does it seem like a wasteland when it comes to non-csgo content... Thinking with portals is still a bit active, but only barely... Maybe I'll ppp in to that discord, see if I see any familiar faces. Or the lopers steam chat, tho I remember that being almost exclusively populated by srredfire :P

And I guess as an update, since I last logged in almost 5 years ago, I've since gone through college for VFX and modeling/animation, and do environmental work at an arch viz and design studio.

I hope everyone's doing well, it's been years since I was last here and probably much longer since I was actually active. And for what it's worth, Andy, I've heard that VFX and games are grueling industries to work in. I'll take my healthy work-life balance over it any day.
Competent Level Designer, 3D Artist.
I don't really look like my avatar
TicTac
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion