Model Pimpage and HELLOOOOO !

Got problems with your models? Struggling with textures? Get help with your custom assets.

Model Pimpage and HELLOOOOO !

Postby marks on Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:22 pm

Just thought I'd say hi as I just registered here.

And I thought I'd pimp some models a bit as a welcome.
These have been modelled for the Final Escape HL2 mod - I'm also wit hthe Nightfall mod team aswell.

ROJ MEIGHTS!
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby Dude But if ... on Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:24 pm

Wow those r Freakin sweet. cant wait for the mod to come if you got stuff like that init :D
nice job! i cant model for the life of myself though :?
Dude But if ...
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby tarrryan on Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:34 pm

which of the mods will these possibly be in?? and also is the first weapon ment to be a variant of the m4 carbine, either way heres the pimpage for the rifle

1:the shoulder rest on the stock could do with a bit of rounning so it allows the soulder to rest on it fully not on one spot which would be uncomftable and result in negitive accuracy.

2:the barrel dosent look very nice to hold :P try holding that kind of texture for a long time with your hand moveing up and down it. youd get a few blisters i think

i know its not real but in saying these for realism more than looks :D hoope that helped

edit: lol i live near southhampton in blakfield lol :D
стоя или умирам - Stand Or Die
tarrryan
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby Athlete{UK} on Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:48 pm

Hey nice work. mind if i ask polygon count and for a wireframe render?
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby marks on Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:58 pm

The first one is a HK416 - an enchanced version of the M4 currently under development by Heckler & Koch. The other is a Walther P22.

The HK416 is about 6100 tri's not optimized.
The P22 is about 2-3k tri's if I recall.
Both of these include detailed clips and 2 rounds in the clip.

Neither are really optimized properly but meh I haven't got around to it yet. These are both for the Final Escape mod.

[EDIT: This is the rear of the HK416 - it's quite rounded enough I believe - modelled from detailed M4 stock references]

Last edited by marks on Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby Athlete{UK} on Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:02 pm

Well they deffinatly look the biz. I normally work towards the budget of around 3000 then go over if i need to and optimize. Gonna need to do a lot of polygon culling.

very tidy mesh though so good work. You might want to consider using these high polygon meshes to make a normal map.

What program are you using btw?
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby marks on Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:10 pm

3DS Max 6 with Brazil Rio rendering system.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby Athlete{UK} on Tue Aug 16, 2005 6:12 pm

Voo wrote:3DS Max 6 with Brazil Rio rendering system.

Good man ;). Well keep this stuff comming. I'm always pleased to see more modellers on these forums....especialy max users ;)
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jest@ on Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:22 pm

knocking the invisible side off the viewmodel will get it down to about 4500 tris before you even get started, so it looks likve for a viewmodel that'll optimise well.

I always model to insanely high polycounts (bad practive i know lol) - like, 40,000 for a rifle lol ;)
Highlight to read:
It was earth all along
Jest@
Veteran
Veteran

Postby marks on Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:35 pm

to be honest anything under 8k is pretty much acceptable for a Source view model these days considering most mods won't be released for 6-12 months minimum.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby Athlete{UK} on Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:49 pm

I'd have to dissagree there. That is a fair bit too much. It would run sure. But 3000 is the norm at the moment. Next gen systems are looking at pushing 5000 average including the hands. Deffinatly not 8k though :S.
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby marks on Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:06 pm

However, I'm running 10k tri CS:S weapon models (not incl arms) and getting almost no performance hit.

The thing most people don't seem to understand is that current and next gen GPU's dont suffer nearly as badly from poly counts as they do from particle effects and other GPU intensive operations such as 100+ line shaders.

10k tri including arms is perfectcly acceptable - if frowned upon - where I come from.

(For reference im running a 6800 ultra with 1gb ram, and an amd 3700+)
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby Athlete{UK} on Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:13 pm

Damn gits with far better graphics cards then me.

Most of the Valve weapons adere to the 3000 to 4500 rule. And i can get any detail i need in there.

You're right that particle effect and shaders do the most damage when it comes to resources. But still it's a good idea to stay within the budget.

I mean the Unreal 3.0 engine. patnwettingly good. Designed entirely for next gen systems and a great engine. Their characters are only 7000 pollies on average.

But as you say you can't argue with results. If you get no impact from very high polygon models then there is no harm.

When i actually engage my brain and think about it though i see your point.

When the game came out Valve tried to make it accessible to as many people as they could with the low polygon counts. Source can handle far far greater poly counts but not everyones computer can.

Will be the same thing for Unreal 3.0 I dare say it can handle insane polygon amounts but 7000 is a slightly more conservative amount for running on most peoples systems.
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Postby marks on Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:21 pm

I read that they were about 15k tri's but I can't recall where.

Droolage over 6 million tri normal maps though :D
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby Athlete{UK} on Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:30 pm

Voo wrote:I read that they were about 15k tri's but I can't recall where.

Droolage over 6 million tri normal maps though :D

I think there is 15k tris in some models like the giant beast with the rocket launchers on.

More human sized players have all been around the 7000 point up to now from what i've seen and read.

And yes those normal maps do make me drool.
Athlete{UK}
Veteran
Veteran

Next

Return to Custom Asset Help