RandomThread II

Chat about various topics.

Re: RandomThread II

Postby zombie@computer on Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:00 pm

MrBlackspoon wrote:damn, did anyone knew that cannabis oil cures cancer?
Just found it out when searching threw youtube videos.

Thats just LoL. Some texan redneck thinking he knows better than all the medical world combined.
When you are up to your neck in shit, keep your head up high
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Dr. Delta on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:12 pm

zombie@computer wrote:
MrBlackspoon wrote:damn, did anyone knew that cannabis oil cures cancer?
Just found it out when searching threw youtube videos.

Thats just LoL. Some texan redneck thinking he knows better than all the medical world combined.

this ^ :)
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dr. Delta on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:25 pm

I went to that yesterday.
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Dr. Delta on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:29 pm

This was so weird live:
Dr. Delta
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kkirspel on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:09 pm

So over the holidays I have bought the 3 S.T.A.L.K.E.R games and I only just got around to starting them. I figured I'd start with Clear Sky since its the prequel but I don't don't know what the fuck is going on. Walk through some water? oh hey must be radioactive since I'm dying. Get hit by a anomaly? Sucks for you all your health is gonna leech away. I'm hoping they're assuming I've played the first game and that they explain stuff to you a little better in that one. But I really wanted to play these through in sequence. Any pro tips for the noob? Maybe I just haven't got my head wrapped around the game's concept...
The inspiration as to why I'm here: Adam Foster; Minerva. Great job man.
kkirspel
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby source-maps on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:22 pm

didn't watch the videos about the canabis stuff btw, but even if this guy was just a nut job.. there are other real studies that do see marijuana's good side so to speak
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Armageddon on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:50 pm

kkirspel wrote:So over the holidays I have bought the 3 S.T.A.L.K.E.R games and I only just got around to starting them. I figured I'd start with Clear Sky since its the prequel but I don't don't know what the fuck is going on. Walk through some water? oh hey must be radioactive since I'm dying. Get hit by a anomaly? Sucks for you all your health is gonna leech away. I'm hoping they're assuming I've played the first game and that they explain stuff to you a little better in that one. But I really wanted to play these through in sequence. Any pro tips for the noob? Maybe I just haven't got my head wrapped around the game's concept...

Play them in release order, I never got past the junk yard in the first game. It just kept glitching out, I had no idea where to go, these stupid super natural electric things kept one shotting me unless I threw screws, I mean wtf. UI stretching. Not a good game imho. Let the flame wars begin.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Major Banter on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:05 am

kkirspel wrote:snip

It's quite simple. You know how most modern games tell you what to do, where to go, who to see, how to do it, why you're doing it, when to do it and so on and so forth?

STALKER doesn't do that. STALKER doesn't give a shit. As far as STALKER is concerned, you're a noob in the zone and you're going to fucking deal with it. You are going to get your ass killed by dogs, snorks, grav anomalies, bandits, loners, monolith, electrical anomalies, radiation, the army, everything.

Why are you there? Figure it out. How do you get through to Garbage? Figure it out. Guns? Figure it out. What does this do, that do, who is that? Figure it out.

Uninstall Clear Sky though. Waste of time; it's by far the worst in the series. Install Shadow of Chernobyl and learn to adapt. If you can't handle STALKER and the magic of having nothing but YOU handling your saves (no checkpoints - only at level transitions), then you're a modern armchair gamer. You're supposed to be a noob, and you're going to feel like it. And you're going to love it if you can hack it through to knowing the zone.

Oh, and install this. Oh, and bolts set off anomalies, but they all have very specific patterns; use the bolts to learn them. Get a detector as soon as you can, and learn the hotkeys. You'll thank me when you find out just because you don't have nightvision doesn't mean you don't have a flashlight.
ImageImageImage
Major Banter
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kkirspel on Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:55 am

Yeah I'm not giving up on it and maybe I was raging a little, but like those anomalies can be a bitch and some guy told me to throw a bolt at them and I was all "wtf you even talkin about willus?".
I also learned the no autosave thing pretty quick too after playing through the same level 3 times. But I do like that system, I just wasn't prepared it was going to do that. (thats actually a pretty depressing thing to say gaming-wise; full on expecting handicaps b/c every other game gives them)
Don't get me wrong it seems like the type of game I like but it would keep giving me random shit to use and assume I knew what it was for and it was driving me up a wall.
I'll probably push through Clear Sky though, I'm a sucker for stories so I really wanted to see it progress from the start. And thanks for the response, at least I know its intentionally not giving a fuck about me lol
kkirspel
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Armageddon on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:13 am

First bot in the random thread I think?
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby joe_rogers_11155 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:14 am

i think autosaves have their place, especially when the player is going through a more linear area like a specific sewer or location. it all depends on the ability of the location to be re-used.
"Day breaks, but decay soon follows." - Ava Winona
Currently developing in radio silence... 99 Bolts
Here's another project of mine... Assault on Overwatch
Are you new to Source SDK? VDC
joe_rogers_11155
Veteran
Veteran

Postby kkirspel on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:45 am

ZHENG HOPE YOU HAPPY TOO!!!

and valid point joe. I still think way too many games overuse it though. Survival-based games at least.
kkirspel
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Armageddon on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:08 am

I really like auto-saves, it helps to immerse you into thee world more instead of having to worry about pressing F5 every second. It's needed more so in a world like STALKER that thrives on immersion. And limited saves are the worst. I'd at least like the game to tell me there are no auto-saves, I got fairly far into stalker, and died and had to restart the entire game.

Now I know why he divorced her.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Jangalomph on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:20 pm

I played through the entire stalker without dying once. I'm a master.
http://www.nomoreroominhell.com
I don’t know whether I was right or wrong, I guess I’ll never know… But I made it. And I guess I should be thankful for that. - Strelok
Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
Jangalomph
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby TicTac on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Hahahaha, that was pretty funny :P

About STALKER: I disagree that Clear Sky is the worst game in the series. Definitely don't play it first, it was designed to fill in blanks and build around the first game, but it's also much more stable and immersive than SoC. The faction war system, while buggy, really gives you a feeling that the world is living and changing without your direct interaction.
Competent Level Designer, 3D Artist.
I don't really look like my avatar
TicTac
Veteran
Veteran

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion