UDK in Map Battles

Chat about various topics.

Should UDK be allowed in future map battles?

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes : 62

Re: UDK in Map Battles

Postby Plague on Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:43 am

Well the problem with Photoshop<>Paint comparisons is that PS has an entire extra layer to it.

From a manipulation standpoint of course PS is gonna trump Paint all the time no matter skill.
But thats because Paint has little in the way of tools built for photo manipulations.

But from and art perspective, You still need to know fundamentals in order to do work in either Paint or PS.
But of course once you know PS you can utilize its enhanced features to your advantage with minimal skill required.

How about Car<>Car analogies instead.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Gary on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:37 am

My analogy was going for more of a "you can't surpass your limits" kinda thing.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Text_Fish on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:25 pm

UDK mapping consists almost entirely of meshes generated in a third party program. Yes, you can do that in Source as well -- but by that standard, why not just do away with game engines all together and render scenes in 3DSMax/Blender/Softimage/Whatever? It's not like the map battles ever contain gameplay anyway, so it'd just be doing away with some of the falsity of the whole thing.
Mappers Top Tip #548
Lighting: The arrangement, hue and intensity of one or multiple light sources.
Lightning: A dazzling discharge of electric sparks in the atmosphere, often preceding thunder.
Text_Fish
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby RefaelBA on Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:45 pm

Rendering a scene from Maya or 3DS is not the same. It's true that you'll probably use more "props" with the UDK, but still a map created in Source or UDK has the potential of becoming a real map, and anyway the screenshots are usually taken when the game is running realtime. You can't "render" a view for the competition because it's not a map whatsoever and it can't evolve into one.

The number of props shouldn't matter. I don't see anything wrong in using lots of props to set the atmosphere you like.
RefaelBA

Postby Gary on Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:17 am

I suppose by that logic, I should be able to make my map in an external program, run the lighting and shadow calculations and export that all as textures. So it will look the same if it was made in Source or UE3, as the engine doesn't need to even render it at a good framerate.
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby wood250 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:46 pm

At first I did think allowing UDK was a good idea, nothing like a bit of competition.
Both engines have their pluses, and downsides.
People that are moaning that UDK gives an advantage need to understand that is what gaming is about.

But then I thought about it some more and to be truthful I come here to read and learn SDK, not UDK.
If I want to see UDK I will go else where, its as simple as that.
Dont dilute the foundation of what Interlopers has.

This is a SDK community, and as such should remain true to that.
wood250
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby cheesemoo0 on Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:56 pm

If the community never evolves it will become stagnant and diminish into nothing just as many GoldSrc communities have.
cheesemoo0
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby no00dylan on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:31 pm

It's worth trying. Interlopers to me has been a great website for building your skill and portfolio through fun challenges like the map battles, and right now lots of developers are looking for devs with a history working with the Unreal engine. I say let's give it a go, together or separate, there's nothing wrong with encouraging a little variety as far as what tools people use in the community.

Don't get caught up so much on what interlopers started out being, think about what it could be, let's be honest this website stopped being "Half-life 2 News & Tutorials" a long time ago. We're a collection of level designers, modelers, concept and 2d artists, and programmers. In general we're artists and our medium shouldn't be restricted on a website that otherwise has seemed quite supportive of our craft.

Dunno if any of that made sense, I kinda rambled a bit.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby marks on Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:34 pm

cheesemoo0 wrote:If the community never evolves it will become stagnant and diminish into nothing just as many GoldSrc communities have.

The same as Source-only communities will eventually. I personally wouldn't like to see lopers disappear just because people wanted to "stay true to the foundations". Communities need to evolve and grow if they want to stay relevant, especially in such a fast-moving area as game level-design.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby Mighty Monk on Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:14 pm

marks wrote:
cheesemoo0 wrote:If the community never evolves it will become stagnant and diminish into nothing just as many GoldSrc communities have.

The same as Source-only communities will eventually. I personally wouldn't like to see lopers disappear just because people wanted to "stay true to the foundations". Communities need to evolve and grow if they want to stay relevant, especially in such a fast-moving area as game level-design.

I think that's about spot on, really. Nobody's suggesting to get rid of Source or anything, just to expand to another engine and set of tools.

Not only would this allow the community to grow but also to breathe new life into it; I haven't been to this website very much at all in the past 6 months because I'm just a bit bored of Source now and the UDK is something new and exciting!
Mighty Monk
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:19 am

I want to include UDK in battles, I am just saying it would be fair to have them judged differently(two polls).

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby ShinobiWan on Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:08 pm

I dunno, i think the source engine is going to be around for a good long while, valve isnt going to stop producing games. Including the udk would kinda destroy the point of this site in my opinion. Source is the only engine for me, and pretty much the only reason i lurk around here everyday.
ShinobiWan
Regular
Regular

Postby Gary on Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:18 pm

If they release Portal 2 code, then I will stay longer, otherwise I am getting pretty tired of it.

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby Armageddon on Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:07 am

No, unless we had two separate voting polls, because UDK could look better than Source, and this is a Source modding community UDK doesn't fit.
Armageddon
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby cheesemoo0 on Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:31 am

smallfish wrote:No simply because the same scene in both engines will easily look better in Unreal. Which one is more popular on this particular forum shouldn't matter.

Is this a really smart bot or what?
cheesemoo0
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion