UDK in Map Battles

Chat about various topics.

Should UDK be allowed in future map battles?

Yes
52%
No
48%

Total votes : 62

Re: UDK in Map Battles

Postby Habboi on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:24 pm

You Sourcer's are all the same, cowards. Bwahahaha. No but honestly Interlopers is and will always be about Source to me. Stay that way.
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby no00dylan on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:26 pm

I voted yes because, even though Unreal has a few more effects like sunbeams and whatnot, it's the authors talent that will ultimately decide how well they did.

Also, I think people who use Unreal should only use custom content, it's model based and using the ones you're given just seems too cheesy.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Plague on Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:31 pm

I vote yes, but I think it might be more fair if we had Source battles and UDK Battles.
Contact. The EU welcomes the pain free. That's emotional impact.
I actually think limitation is good for creativity. If we had an engine that could do everything, we would be in trouble. It gives us focus. ~~ Randy Lundeen
Plague
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Fearian on Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:13 pm

I would have to vote yes. Really, map battles come down to the skill and imaginations of the participants and making a map in UDK will not magically make it better - The same difference in skill and creativity will sperate the entries. Not a difference in technology.

Furthermore, I'd add that encouraging souce mappers to try their hand at UDK can never be a bad thing. It should push the community to grow and try out new things. As the industry moves towards engines like UDK (and whatever engine comes next for valve in the far future), it will be good for mappers to follow these trends, even if only in passing familiarity.
Fearian
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Gary on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:37 pm

A bicycle will always drive slower then a Ferrari no matter how good of a driver.

I think we should have UDK maps in battles, but not in the same battles, or if they are in the same battles then they should be judged separately(two winners).
Have a question related to modding or something I posted? Something that needs staff attention? I haven't been active lately, but feel free to PM me or message me on Steam(link below)

Gary
Interlopers Staff
Interlopers Staff

Postby marks on Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:52 pm

Having Photoshop instead of a paintbrush doesnt make you a better artist. Your analogy fails.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby source-maps on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:06 pm

marks wrote:Having Photoshop instead of a paintbrush doesnt make you a better artist. Your analogy fails.

well, the way you explain it's more like 'Software vs Handheld tool'
one you're editing digital photo's, the other you're spraying paint on a wall (or what ever)

UDK vs Source SDK would be like

Modern Level Editor vs Outdated Level Editor
both you are using software to make a game

altho I'm not saying Source couldn't kick an UDK scenes ass in the right hands ;)
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby cheesemoo0 on Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:37 pm

I think a more apt comparison would be Photoshop vs. Paint. I have seen amazing things done in Paint, but I see amazing things done in Photoshop far more often.
cheesemoo0
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby source-maps on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:25 pm

cheesemoo0 wrote:I think a more apt comparison would be Photoshop vs. Paint. I have seen amazing things done in Paint, but I see amazing things done in Photoshop far more often.

yes that's exactly what it is, kinda what I meant.. but simple and not over explained -__-
:P
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Habboi on Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:43 pm

Hah, I wasn't going to vote but I decided to make it 50/50. That way it shows that some of us want UDK compo's and others want Source. Now we can have both :D
http://www.habboi.co.uk - Habboi's Portfolio

3D Art Director working on indie title "A Hat in Time" by Gears for Breakfast.
http://hatintime.com/
Habboi
Veteran
Veteran

Postby marks on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:06 pm

cheesemoo0 wrote:I think a more apt comparison would be Photoshop vs. Paint. I have seen amazing things done in Paint, but I see amazing things done in Photoshop far more often.

Lets face it though, Photoshop is far more complicated than Paint and there is a good chance that the people who use it will at a more advanced level in general. A bad level designer will still make awful levels, even in UDK.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

Postby source-maps on Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:24 pm

you can say the same about Photoshop marks, if you suck at that.. it doesn't matter if you use PS over paint
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby RefaelBA on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:27 am

I think it's worth a try at least. If UDK is allowed then more artists will be able to participate. If it turns out unfair, the battles can be split separate or reverted to Source only.
Anyway it couldn't hurt to try it out once.
RefaelBA

Postby no00dylan on Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:33 am

Yeah, how about a test run? We try it once and if it fails terribly, we have our answer.
no00dylan
Veteran
Veteran

Postby marks on Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:39 am

source-maps wrote:you can say the same about Photoshop marks, if you suck at that.. it doesn't matter if you use PS over paint

Yeah you can... and I do, lol.
marks
Creative Assembly
Creative Assembly

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion