Chat about various topics.

Portal 2 next update detailed

Postby trcc on Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:17 pm

trcc
Pheropod
Pheropod

Re: Portal 2 next update detailed

Postby Ark11 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:28 pm

It sounds like terrible news to me. Imagine the amount of shit maps that will be made. This is sooo stupid, it's going to just as bad as http://www.moddb.com/mods/portal-map-editor but will have an endorsement from Valve.
"Drop kick me Jesus, through the goalposts of life." - Robert Bare
Ark11

Postby shadowmancer471 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:43 pm

...But on the other hand might actually be alright.
Admittedly I can imagine there's going to be a flood of maps churned out by the dozen, but whilst most of the maps may be kinda shitty, there may be a few nuggets of gold hidden. A competent filter system would be beneficial

I imagine many people have ingenious ideas for puzzles, but don't have the expertise or patience to use the SDK.
Perhaps with this we may see some new ideas, as well as providing a starting step for future map developers. Heck I know that jumping straight into a fully fledged level design program like the Authoring Tools can be pretty daunting.

So yeah, although I can see a lot of crap being pumped out of the program, I can see it being beneficial.
It will provide a starting learning ground, as well as letting amateur designers develop their ideas.

However, I admit that maybe perhaps the editor shouldn't output .bsp's, and instead a different file format in order to keep sites like moddb/planetphillip/gamebanana etc relatively clear of these maps. I think the best system would be to make a filterable hub for all levels designed like this.
Ever played super meat boy's "Super Meat World"? I imagine maps made by this could work in a similar vein

God I phrase my thoughts crap when tired.
I want to get off Mr.Bones Wild Ride
shadowmancer471
Regular
Regular

Postby Ark11 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:57 pm

I actually don't mind that making maps has been simplified for ameteurs, but I hope that there will be something that distinguises the real maps from the in game made maps; like a different file type, or a water mark or a something at the end of the map that says 'Made using the Portal 2 In-game Level Editor'. Just so that maps made with the real tools get the respect they deserve.
Ark11

Postby Dives on Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:15 pm

That's a rather holier-than-thou attitude Ark. Maps should stand on their merits, not what editor they're made in.
Dives
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Ark11 on Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:23 pm

I'm not saying that maps made with these tools are inheritatly bad, i'm just saying that the chances of one being made that is good is very unlikely. Mainly because an editor like that would be fairly restricting in that it would use prefabs and instances, also I doubt there will be any ways to manipulate lighting in the tool other than placing floor light prefabs and observation rooms. So the user won't really have much control over how the map will be, visually. But at this point, my words are meering assumptions and opinions so don't take them too seriously.
Ark11

Postby source-maps on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:42 am

update hammer already, we don't need watered down shit catered to consoles
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Jordash on Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:52 am

If they don't have much control over the map visually then hammer made maps will stand out on their own, no need to tell people it was made with the portal editor, it will be obvious and maps will stand on their own merits
Jordash
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby ScarT on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:13 am

This is basically Valve's way of saying Hammer isn't being updated to the public anymore.
ScarT

Postby Chrille on Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:39 am

ScarT wrote:This is basically Valve's way of saying Hammer isn't being updated to the public anymore.

How so?
Chrille
Been Here A While
Been Here A While

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:29 am

Yeah look at how the Alien Swarm in game editor turned out.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby ScarT on Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:47 pm

Chrille wrote:
ScarT wrote:This is basically Valve's way of saying Hammer isn't being updated to the public anymore.

How so?

Well, my previous statement might have been a bit over the top. I'm just saying you'll see a lot more of the tools move into the engine.
ScarT

Postby MrTwoVideoCards on Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:01 pm

Honestly I think the tools should move into the engine, I mean really that's what UDK is. The more you streamline workflow the better. Moving everything into a single hub saves a lot of dev time. But realtime brush building doesn't make a whole lot of sense and whatnot right now. Based on the newest dota2 shaders though, such as GlobalLitSimple, I think that's possible. We'll probably have an easier time seeing real-time editing in future source versions thanks to how those shaders work now.
MrTwoVideoCards
Monothetic

Postby source-maps on Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:12 pm

MrTwoVideoCards wrote:Honestly I think the tools should move into the engine, I mean really that's what UDK is. The more you streamline workflow the better. Moving everything into a single hub saves a lot of dev time. But realtime brush building doesn't make a whole lot of sense and whatnot right now. Based on the newest dota2 shaders though, such as GlobalLitSimple, I think that's possible. We'll probably have an easier time seeing real-time editing in future source versions thanks to how those shaders work now.

jippie, finally then it won't be 10 years behind, but only 5
source-maps
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Mr. Happy on Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:40 am

In some ways it'd be better, but having tools seperate from the game is also nice because when they update/break one the other is fine.

At any rate this is definitely very cool news it'll be interesting to see how it works, and if you can upload handcrafted bsp's using their system.
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Next

Return to General Discussion