Combine Gate

Tutorial collection, comprehensive listings on main site.

Combine Gate

Postby Tutorial on Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:59 pm

category
General Half-Life 2/Effects

description
Creating the blue energy forcefields seen in HL2.

keywords
combine, gate, force, field, forcefield, blue, shield.

At various points throughout HL2 you will have witnessed the blue combine forcefields that block off areas, but allow a soliders to pass through it. We will be looking at creating one of those now and fortunately they are nice and easy to make.

First thing we need to do before going anywhere is to create somewhere to put the forcefield. You can have it covering any distance but it must have at least 192 units clearance in height.

Here is the area I have prepared for our gate:

Once you're happy with the setup we can begin by adding in the two edges of the gate. You will need to add a prop_static at each side and use the two following models:

models/props_combine/combine_fence01a.mdl

models/props_combine/combine_fence01b.mdl

The only difference is they both face opposite directions.

The next stage is to create the actual forcefield itself, this will prevent the player moving through. To do this create a thin brush (1 unit is fine) and make it as high as the forcefield props. Take some time to line it up with the props and when you've done that apply the forcefield texture to both sides, which happens to be:

effects/combineshield/comshieldwall2

There a are a few there but I chose this one, it doesn't make a huge difference to the look.

Once you've created the brush tie it to a func_illusionary by pressing CTRL-T and choosing it from the list. This will allow objects such as combine soldiers and bullets to pass through. To stop the player passing through we need to add a brush of the same size and texturing it with the playerclip texture, found in the texture browser. Also be sure to give it a name in the properties section, I chose combine_gate

Last part of this is to make another brush of the same size and covering it in the trigger texture, tie this to a trigger_multiple but leave the properties for a moment. You may want to extend this brush so it pokes out either side of the forcefield somewhat, as this will be triggering the sound made when the player touches the forcefield.

Ok so the gate is now essentially complete, but for that extra touch we need to add some sounds. Go ahead and add two ambient_generic entities near the forcefield:

In the first one add the following information:

• Name: <Doesn't need one>
  • Sound Name: ambient/machines/combine_shield_loop3.wav - Just a general looping sound for the gate.
  • SourceEntityName: combine_gate - This makes the gate appear to generate the noise.

Leave all the flags unticked as well.

Open the other ambient_generic and add these properties:

• Name: gate_noise
  • Sound Name: ambient/machines/combine_shield_touch_loop1.wav - This is the buzzing noise when the player touches it.
  • SourceEntityName: combine_gate - This makes the gate appear to generate the noise.

Only the Start Silent flag is required.

Last thing to do is to tell our trigger_multiple to turn the buzzing sound on and off when the player touches the forcefield. Do that by using the below outputs.

That's it, everything should work just fine. The texture even fades out as you move away, easy.

Download Example Map

Blink
- Don't send PM's to this user -
Tutorial
Not A Real User

Postby Fearian on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:10 pm

nice tut! did you think it up while making your SP project?

SPOILERZ! ITS GOT COMBINE FIELDS!1!
:P
Fearian
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Mr. Happy on Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:17 pm

You might want to add a section on making it togglable.

there are also two prefabs for this btw ;)
-You've just been happified!?
Mr. Happy
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Postby Blink on Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:27 pm

I did add it to my map yeah, and seeing as I worked it out for that I thought a tutorial was in order.

I don't deal in prefabs! All about building it yourself. ;-)
Blink
Cool 'n that
Cool 'n that

Postby Grudge on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:11 pm

Blink wrote:I did add it to my map yeah, and seeing as I worked it out for that I thought a tutorial was in order.

I don't deal in prefabs! All about building it yourself. ;-)

Indeed, good tutorial, but is it worth not using the prefab?

No one will tell the difference, and the only way they will is if you make a mistake, so it's better for everyone to use the PreFab, anyway, Nice tutorial nonetheless! :smt023
Uhh... what cat?
Grudge
Pheropod
Pheropod

Postby Fearian on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:40 pm

Blink wrote:I don't deal in prefabs! All about building it yourself. ;-)

damn straight!

(I never bothered looking...)
Fearian
May Contain Skills
May Contain Skills

Postby Lovro on Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:52 pm

I sometimes also have the trigger dishing out some electric damage to the player when he tuches it. (yes I am a mean mapper :twisted: )
Allthough this is slightly problematic since players are used to non hurting fields from HL2.
Lovro
Regular
Regular

Re: Combine Gate

Postby perfecttrunks2000 on Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:23 pm

I have a question about the gate. ON my map, i made a gate with a trigger and a play clip brush. I also made a button that can turn off the gate supposedly by using an output command in the func_button to kill the func_illusionary. And pressing thisbutton also kills the trigger by parenting the trigger to the func_illusionary.

My ques: how do i kill theplayer clip brush? It doesnt have a name so i cant command it to be killed. With the player clip still on wouldn't the gate still block the gamer?
perfecttrunks2000

Re: Combine Gate

Postby zombie@computer on Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:52 pm

perfecttrunks2000 wrote:I have a question about the gate. ON my map, i made a gate with a trigger and a play clip brush. I also made a button that can turn off the gate supposedly by using an output command in the func_button to kill the func_illusionary. And pressing thisbutton also kills the trigger by parenting the trigger to the func_illusionary.

My ques: how do i kill theplayer clip brush? It doesnt have a name so i cant command it to be killed. With the player clip still on wouldn't the gate still block the gamer?

tie the brush to a func_brush, and use the toggle input
zombie@computer
Forum Goer Elite™
Forum Goer Elite™

Return to Tutorials